Stardock

Cannot unsubscribe from mailing list

unacceptable and WHERE DID YOU GET MY INFORMATION FROM

By on August 18, 2012 2:42:04 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

thedoktorj

Join Date 07/2012

I have been receiving emails from you guys every single day since I bought Sniper Elite V2 on Steam.  I can only assume that Valve provided you with my email address, w hen I bought the game, because I certainly don't remember giving it to you directly or creating any kind of account, yet somehow, I magically have a forum account with the same credentials as my Steam account.  This all constitutes a gross breech in privacy and I would like all accounts that you guys have created for me disabled and deleted immediately.  I especially want the spam to stop, because your unsubscribe link doesn't work.   It returns a 500 internal server error, every time I try to unsubscribe.  I will never buy another one of your games, after this.  If I could, I would return Sniper Elite V2 and have it removed from my Steam library, but since I can't do that, I'll just go ahead and uninstall it, never to play again. 

4 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 18, 2012 5:13:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Not an employee of Stardock, so please don't vent in my direction. Only trying to help. Also, a support person might see this thread before the natural course of things and reply earlier.

1. I'll bet as part of the purchase you signed a 'share with' or 'receive advertising or notices from' clause in there somewhere as a result of support for the game going through Stardock (maybe, just guessing). Maybe not.

2. Since you You bought the game on Steam, shouldn't your questions/anger (less productive) be towards them?

3. If you wish to unsubscribe and you received an 'error' message, email support@stardock.com and try to describe the situation objectively. Then, you will receive an 'auto reply' message, which is a receipt and ticket number. keep that as reference. You then should wait until you receive a response from an actual person before continuing to correspond. Not doing so will only cause your message to go to the end of the queue.

4. Stardock support works M-F, 9-5. Writing over the weekend won't get an immediate response from a support person. Wait patiently. After all, this isn't the first advertising you've gotten (from the tone of the OP). Mondays are usually hectic so it might be Tuesday before you hear back from an actual person.

5. Uninstalling the game would only be "cutting off your nose to spite your face"... you've paid for it, so why not enjoy? The rest of the stuff will get taken care of, so... have a better rest of the weekend.

Hope this helps a bit.

August 18, 2012 5:26:41 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

We have nothing to do with Sniper Elite v2. It is the product of another company and we do not sell or support it in any way.

It is likely that you installed some other software around the same time (July 3) which is one of ours (Sins of a Solar Empire, Political Machine, Galactic Civilizations, etc), and requires account registration. If this is the case you would have been prompted with a dialog requesting such when you first ran the game. As Doc indicated, please contact support and they should be able to remove you from any mailing lists and investigate the site issue.

August 20, 2012 8:45:57 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Also, please make sure you are using http://www.stardock.com/subscriptions.asp to unsubscribe.

August 28, 2012 5:23:19 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Ok, it looks like the unsubscribe finally worked.  I was confused as to which game caused the subscription to be created, it was Sins of a Solar Empire:  Rebellion.  I had read an article about Rebellion Games (makers of Sniper Elite V2) suing Stardock over the title of Sins of a Solar Empire:  Rebellion not long before posting that, so I got the two confused.  For a good 2 weeks the unsubscribe link had been non-functional (yes the one posted above) and then when I tried to join the forum to ask for removal, I find out I'm already a member, so I was being a bit hotheaded.  I apologize for my anger.  And yes, you are correct that I should direct my anger towards Valve, but they censor their forums and remove any posts critical of Steam's policies, not to mention that it is nearly impossible to find a Valve employee on there and actually get help.  I hoped that I could get help here, more quickly, but got sidetracked by my anger at the account created, in my name, without my knowledge.  Anyway, I am no longer on the mailing list, so I will just set my password here to something obscure to avoid it possibly impacting any of my other accounts and move on.  Thanks for the assistance and overlooking my rage.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000344   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+