Stardock

Steam ToS

By on August 5, 2012 8:22:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Classicvibe

Join Date 07/2010

So like, is there any way to play this game independently of Steam?

Apparently if someone disagrees with their new ToS for any reason, the company has the right to (and will) remove that person's access to purchased games forever. (unless they repurchase)

Does this apply here as well?  Since I originally bought Rebellion directly from here rather than Steam.

15 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 5, 2012 8:38:05 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Nope. Its a steamworks game. Any game that is labeled such must be used through steam. I mean I suppose you'd still be a registered customer of Stardock, and you might be able to get them to give you a new steam key if they did something really messed up, but you'd still have to use steam. We really don't have much of a choice now but to trust the Valve fan boys and hope they won't abuse the ToS, at least until a true alternative finally comes out.

August 5, 2012 8:57:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Seriously? That's bad. I'll be using an available alternative to them I can from now on. =/

August 5, 2012 8:59:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well, it's extremely unlikely that anyone will ever encounter a legitimate reason to disagree with Valve's new ToS. 

I was just wondering how exactly SoaSE fell into the category of Steam games.

August 5, 2012 11:56:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I tired of the hubbub that some people want to attach to steam, its getting old. I would understand if there was a valid reason and it sounds like there was, years ago before I started using them however in recent history they have been doing amazing things for gamers especially social gamers. Sure they have hiccups every now and then they are after all servicing over thirty million people now.

August 6, 2012 12:33:00 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Nate and whoever else is a massive steam fanboi

My son had his steam account disabled because Steam ran his credit card through twice for the same purchase and the bank froze it.  Long fight between bank and steam for a year and son was unable to play anything on his account even in offline mod.  He was able to get all of his games back only by talking with a manager level person by creating a new account and then purchasing the game in question.

Yes, Steam eventually got everything sort out, but it took a year and son finally cussing out the rep he'd been deal with the whole time at which point a manager got involved and 2 days later was fixed.  Should not require Herculean efforts to resolve an issue.  Steam has a mixed reputation of being either really great or being complete crap; Steam's earned the mixed review . 

If you don't like his opinion, you don't have to post, but trolling him just shows you are a horse's ass and have the brain of a gnat.  Let Steam stand on it's own merits.

August 6, 2012 3:22:37 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting TerribleNate,
I tired of the hubbub that some people want to attach to steam, its getting old.

I'll admit, Steam itself is better now than what it was years ago. The only thing I don't like is steamworks. Yeah maybe it saves the devs some time, but it's also a huge anti competition system, forcing every developer that uses it to tie their product with steam, and in effect making every other retail source pointless, and discouraging any start ups from competing with them. That's bad for customers and goes against the general trend for an open internet, and seems a heck of a lot worse than Microsoft forcing internet explore on every windows computer, which I believe they got fined for. Maybe antitrusts will wake up to it sooner or later.

August 6, 2012 1:04:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

My biggest beef with steam is that you can't start in offline mode, you have to at least start with an internet connection...becomes a royal pain when you travel...

August 6, 2012 1:09:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Seleuceia,
My biggest beef with steam is that you can't start in offline mode, you have to at least start with an internet connection...becomes a royal pain when you travel...

If you set Steam to offline mode before you leave for your vacation it will be able to run in offline mode even if you reboot; I've had this work myself.

August 6, 2012 1:15:24 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Lavo_2,
If you set Steam to offline mode before you leave for your vacation it will be able to run in offline mode even if you reboot; I've had this work myself.

I really feel like I tried and it didn't work for me, but maybe I didn't actually set it to offline mode before shutting down...does it carry through multiple reboots?  So far I've had to keep my computer on in sleep mode to access stuff later on...

August 6, 2012 1:23:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It carries through multiple reboots, iirc. I know I have the version on my netbook set to Steam before the current ToS updating one. Unless I decide to get more games on it I cba to take it out of offline mode.

August 8, 2012 8:23:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting SemazRalan,
Nate and whoever else is a massive steam fanboi

My son had his steam account disabled because Steam ran his credit card through twice for the same purchase and the bank froze it.  Long fight between bank and steam for a year and son was unable to play anything on his account even in offline mod.  He was able to get all of his games back only by talking with a manager level person by creating a new account and then purchasing the game in question.

Yes, Steam eventually got everything sort out, but it took a year and son finally cussing out the rep he'd been deal with the whole time at which point a manager got involved and 2 days later was fixed.  Should not require Herculean efforts to resolve an issue.  Steam has a mixed reputation of being either really great or being complete crap; Steam's earned the mixed review . 

If you don't like his opinion, you don't have to post, but trolling him just shows you are a horse's ass and have the brain of a gnat.  Let Steam stand on it's own merits.

Your making an ass out of me and yourself for assssuming that I was trolling, I was not and I meant what I said and I still do.

O and I forgot to mention how steam is a godsend for non AAA developers and as for the other means of retail the sooner that EA and Activison along with all ilk of their type get ground into dust the better.

August 8, 2012 8:35:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Do you mod?  Have you ever pirated games and been found out by an online company?  Do you enjoy raping goldfish?

Any of this causes steam to put you under very close scrutiny.  Stant for example was a very upstanding sins citizen but was banned from steam for mods and such and now will refuse to play rebellion even if he could.

August 8, 2012 8:43:44 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting AseOfSpadez,
Do you mod?

Heavily, for years.  Still do.  Beyond having to work slightly harder to locate the correct directory to place the files, I've never had a problem with it on Steam.  On games that have the Steam Workshop tied in, it's actually a lot easier than it used to be for casual mod-users.

As for the other two triggers you mentioned, I personally don't have much sympathy but to each their own.

August 8, 2012 10:09:09 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting AseOfSpadez,
Do you mod?  Have you ever pirated games and been found out by an online company?  Do you enjoy raping goldfish?

Any of this causes steam to put you under very close scrutiny.  Stant for example was a very upstanding sins citizen but was banned from steam for mods and such and now will refuse to play rebellion even if he could.

So because someone  was foolish STEAM is bad?  Anyone who mods does have at least some of an idea on how software (even the software they aren't interested in modding) works.  I have modded games in the past as well (Operation Flashpoint, Rainbow Six etc.) and I full well know how careful one must be in order to not have one's "mods" mistaken for "hacks" etc.

As far as having pirated games?  Are you kidding me?  Don't bloody pirate.....

I have a buddy who was caught after he admitted to us (the rest of his gaming clan) that he got bored with COD MW2 bought some cheat from some asian hacker site "just to see".

He had only his MW2 account banned and I still regularily play other STEAM games with his cheater-ass. 

August 9, 2012 11:20:36 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Lavo_2,

Quoting Seleuceia, reply 8My biggest beef with steam is that you can't start in offline mode, you have to at least start with an internet connection...becomes a royal pain when you travel...

It is unfortunate that if your internet connection dies unexpectedly (I've had mine die for up to a week) you cannot play any Steam games as it prompts to start in offline mode then says "Can not connect to the Steam network" and exits.  Steam sucks more than Impulse ever did (though post-Gamestop Impulse actually sucks more).

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000563   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+