Stardock

Overwriting a skin's start button

By on August 5, 2012 5:22:53 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

adrian5683

Join Date 01/2004
+4

Short of editing the skin and using a different skin's start menu, is there a way to use a different start button? I tried Windows 7 Start Button Changer but it didn't work...

Thanks.

18 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 6, 2012 12:48:27 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You'll have to edit the skin to use a different start button. But it wouldn't alter the start menu.

August 6, 2012 7:58:04 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

there is also an option in SKS to use the standard windows start button instead of the created one.

August 6, 2012 8:12:07 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

1. Rename the Start Button you wish to change by adding the extension .bak at the end of it's regular name. Leave it in the same folder, so you can change back in the future.

2. Drop the new Start Button (make sure it is the right type, ie .png, or whatever) into the same folder where the old start button is.

3. Reload the skin.

If you wish to change back in the future, remove the .bak extension from the original, and put it on the one you wish to change.

August 6, 2012 8:26:14 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The new start button that you drop into the folder must have the exact same name as the old start button too Doc.  The size of the image may be an issue too, so that should roughly be the same also. 

August 6, 2012 8:39:45 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Maybe I read it wrong, but SKS doesen´t seem to be present for this guy, only Windowblinds...............................?

-If that.

August 6, 2012 10:26:54 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

He does not need SKS to do what Doc suggested Andy.

August 6, 2012 10:45:08 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Doc gave you the correct steps
locate the start-button sometimes its a .tga file if it is animated...( if it is animated you need to open it in Photoshop for example or your favorite painting program, check the picture , if it has 7 buttons on it for example you will need to divide the picture´s width by 7 to get the exact lenght of one button (if there is transparent pixels between them)  example:Animated startbutton with 7 buttons with a total picture width of 490  and height 60... 490 width divided by 7 =  70 width and 60 height- ( single button ) the shape should be equal or it might look strange if people have set margins on the startbutton...If you completed your button  Proceed with renaming the original and continue with step 2( for animated buttons ) line them all in the end  your picture size should be W490/H60 again ...not more not less... (or whatever the size W/H the picture is that you try to change since that was only an example )

Quoting DrJBHL,
1. Rename the Start Button you wish to change by adding the extension .bak at the end of it's regular name. Leave it in the same folder, so you can change back in the future.

2. Drop the new Start Button (make sure it is the right type, ie .png, or whatever) into the same folder where the old start button is.

3. Reload the skin.

If you wish to change back in the future, remove the .bak extension from the original, and put it on the one you wish to change.

code values can be changed as far as i know without Skinstudio ( margins )but needs finesse and i don't know if it is legal/illegal without Skinstudio so i shall not explain it     

The whole progress is much easier if you simply buy skinstudio if you plan on private modding skins more than once or if you feel like creating your own skin one day ... porting is a different thing since you will need permission from both sides before you can even begin... 

; This skin was created for use specifically by WindowBlinds & Stardock SkinStudio
; or programs explicitly authorized by Stardock to use WindowBlinds Advanced Visual Style (UIS2) format.
;
; This skin may not be converted, imported, or read 
; by any program without the explicit written consent of Stardock Corporation.

; Skin format - Copyright (c) Stardock Net, Inc.

; The skin itself is owned by the copyright holder (the skin author)
; and use of his or her's intellectual property materials
; is expressly forbidden without the consent of the skin author.
;
; When in doubt, contact legal@stardock.com

August 6, 2012 10:58:53 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Don't forget there is a free version of SkinStudio.  Thats the easiest way to make a small skin change like changing the start button.

August 6, 2012 12:15:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have the free version............someplace. Let me go look.......................................

August 6, 2012 12:35:45 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

in skinstudio its found under - Edit Starmenu and Taskbar - Horizontal Taskbar - Start Button 
think the path is the same in the free version 
Windowblinds needs something like that integrated 

August 6, 2012 1:25:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Uvah, you are like the wise cracking stepchild in every forum, how do you do it.

August 6, 2012 1:32:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Ummm.........I dunno.

August 6, 2012 1:54:31 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting doortech1,
Uvah, you are like the wise cracking stepchild in every forum, how do you do it.

Practice, practice, practice.

August 6, 2012 5:38:02 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have to edit the start buttons in such a way that it matches the width and height of most startbutton.tga files I've seen... otherwise I'm getting the wackiest results ever The pictures I get to work with are vertical too. Thanks for all the input guys.

August 6, 2012 5:48:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Then check the dimensions in Photoshop or in whichever graphics program you use, and resize the graphic according to the dimensions of the original you're replacing.

August 7, 2012 5:12:39 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Actually I was liking the wacky results, I started playing around with them... I also had a question regarding the "use the taskbar and start menu from a different skin" function. It seems to only list the first substyle in each category. Unfortunately most of my skins start with their XP substyle... Is there a way to choose?

I guess I can edit the skin, move the substyles in a different order and save... any other way?

Thanks guys.

August 7, 2012 6:36:29 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I see using a different start menu doesn't work that well, the taskbar font gets all messed up, and highlighting in the start menu can get weird. Wish there was a tab under WindowBlinds Settings or something that would deal with it, at least an option for the different start menu to use its skin's properties.

August 7, 2012 10:48:15 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Ok, deleting the skin's XP substyles in SkinStudio presented another problem, I'm guessing because the skin was created originally for XP and Vista/7 substyles were added later. WindowBlinds seemed to have trouble displaying the skin with the correct substyles at first. It still shows the XP preview image and icon on the first substyle even though it's been deleted...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000562   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+