Stardock

Worth buying at this late point?

By on August 1, 2012 11:08:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yohimbe

Join Date 07/2012

Greetings. I'm really jonesing for a TBS and have played everything currently on the market except E:WOM. Previous bad reviews and drama have kept me away. I've been looking for it to go on sale somewhere for months and it's still 40 bucks. I understand there are still serious flaws and all but I'm wondering if I should really plunk down the cash or keep waiting for FE or the next TBS to come down the pike. Thanks for any and all replies. - Yohimbe

21 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 1, 2012 11:24:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I would suggest getting FE right now.  The beta is pretty fun to play already and we are going to get beta 4 in a few weeks.    FE beta > EWOM 1.4 in my opinion although EWOM is pretty fun at it's current version.  Good luck and welcome to the community.

August 1, 2012 11:36:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

No, E:wom is not worth buying. Get FE instead.

August 1, 2012 11:39:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah Pre-Order FE and get into the Beta instead.

August 1, 2012 11:56:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Same as above.  Ignore War of Magic, and get Fallen Enchantress.  Even in a beta state, it is much better than War of Magic.

August 1, 2012 1:25:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I agree with all of my peers above; however, if you are rich, please buy EWOM so that Stardock can buy $40 worth of soda for all of the people working on FE.

August 2, 2012 8:29:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Trojasmic,
I agree with all of my peers above; however, if you are rich, please buy EWOM so that Stardock can buy $40 worth of soda for all of the people working on FE.

Better buy two FEs and give one to someone you know or to complete stranger.

August 6, 2012 8:31:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Do not get E:WOM. I preordered it, and had taken part in the beta process, and got my ass kicked for it. I see no reason why anyone should preorder FE; wait for it to come out and check out the reviews. But if you are of a similar mind as the majority of the people here seem to be, "playing" the beta could be fun for you, but I belong to the small minority which finds that odd. I don't really "play" the beta, I have tested it, and it wasn't fun, it was work. (The CEO of Stardock, Brad Wardell, called E:WOM a terrible thing that would give you hemmorages right before it went gold; he may have been joking, but he was right, and it hasn't changed THAT much since then. FE is different, but still not in a state that is "fun", certainly not one worth paying money for. But again, I seem to be in the minority here.)

August 6, 2012 11:00:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I stopped playing Skyrim (a good game) because I got hooked on the beta of FE. Its fun to me

August 6, 2012 11:58:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I would say if you're really into fantasy TBS then get in on the FE beta, it could be a fun process for you.  But make no mistake about it - FE is not anywhere near complete game at the moment (Beta 3.) 

August 6, 2012 12:01:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

FE is different, but still not in a state that is "fun", certainly not one worth paying money for. But again, I seem to be in the minority here.

I think you are.

I would buy FE, even if beta 3 would be the release build. I had a lot of fun with it and played (no work) many hours. The only reason why i stopped playing FE Beta 3 is because of Beta 4. I´m sure this will make it even better.

Get FE, if you like good TBS games.

August 10, 2012 8:29:18 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting onomastikon,

FE is different, but still not in a state that is "fun", certainly not one worth paying money for. But again, I seem to be in the minority here.)

That's because the rest of us that agree with you already left. 

(Well, I still stop by now and then.)

August 10, 2012 8:57:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think current FE Beta is heaps more fun than WoM was (any version).  Since it seems that they will keep developing it until it is really excellent, I am very hopeful for the state of the game at and after release.

August 13, 2012 12:23:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Stuie_,
That's because the rest of us that agree with you already left.

(Well, I still stop by now and then.)

Man, how true that post is.  The Political Machine 2012 coming out has caused me to come back to the forums again.  I kinda feel like I'm calling an ex-girlfriend years after a messy breakup.  WOM just crushed me after the beauty of GalCiv II.  Like a lot in here, I rpe-ordered it, so I'm also in on FE by way of Brad's "I'm Sorry" gift.  Looked at the Beta a few times, still wasn't fun yet, so I keep filing it away.

Really, really, really hoping the final release will be back up to snuff.  Just like the ex mentioned above, it's been long enough that I'm remembering all of the good times and hoping to hook up again and try to rekindle the relationship.

August 14, 2012 9:51:27 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

To be honest, I haven't touched FE for over six months I think.  I look at it and think it should be more fun than it is, but I found myself to be more frustrated than really enjoying it.  So I decided to take time away fro it, and wait for a more finished product.  I have spoken my mind loudly on several occasions about my opinions, so I think I've been heard and considered.  So I will wait and see what we get when it's finished.

August 14, 2012 12:07:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So Weidbrewer treats the game like an ex-girlfriend and Lord Xia treats it like a wife...

August 14, 2012 12:20:08 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting seanw3,
So Weidbrewer treats the game like an ex-girlfriend and Lord Xia treats it like a wife...

Well played, sir.

August 21, 2012 6:48:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

WOM is likely to get discontinued once FE is out. 

August 22, 2012 4:34:20 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

...and then GalCiv3 will be announced?  Pleasepleaseplease?

But seriously, thanks for the info.  It's good to know, and I'm crossing my fingers on FE.

August 26, 2012 6:35:35 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well ... I just got it and it isn't as good as Master of Magic but at least stacks of units that end their turns on the same tile don't get their orders cancelled like with AoW:SM. (I think one unit could actually get "hijacked" by another's move orders if they happened to end the turn in just the wrong way, but I haven't touched AoW:SM in years.)

WoM has serious problems, don't get me wrong, just nothing quite that catastrophic. The main annoyance is that all units in cities are treated as if they were on permanent garrison. This is a problem dating back to GalCiv 1 that's never really been addressed.

In GalCiv 2 using planets for repairs was really super-duper important, but the only way to keep track of which ships were orbiting which planets was to either take notes or memorize where you put them. Any ship in orbit around any planet was treated as though it were a part of the permanent garrison.

Master of Magic had a "guard" order and an "active" status, and that status didn't change just because you put a unit in a city. You had to explicitly give the "guard" order, and once you did the unit stopped asking for move orders. That is a superior game mechanic; you can't assume that any unit that goes to a particular place will never want to leave. You can assume if the player says, "Stop bothering me," that that unit is where it needs to be, whether or not it's in a city.

By the time of WoM the Stardock people had figured out that something was wrong with their system -- you get alerts any time an injured unit is fully healed inside a city. Too many GalCiv 2 battleships in need of repairs ended up disappearing into Raiders of the Lost Ark packing crates I suspect. Those "unit healed" alerts are made necessary by a game mechanic that doesn't distinguish where a unit is from what the player expects it to do. Location-dependent unit behavior is I think the core flawed assumption that makes "fixes" like the "unit healed alert" necessary.

Once you start using your cities in WoM as railroads the annoyance factor turns up to 11 (or over 9,000 depending on your taste in pop culture). You will be constantly moving units through cities, and the AI isn't good enough at the pathing to do it for you, which means you'll be sending a constant stream of units into your cities then popping them back out again. This is a huge pain in the rear. If "Auto End-Turn" is enabled you have to leave some other unit active to hold your turn open, so you'll be constantly switching back to the unit you actually want to move. I can't imagine having "Auto End-Turn" enabled, myself; I do all other moves first then save the "railroad moves" for last so I can follow the unit I'm actually trying to move without being interrupted.

But wait! Without "Auto End-Turn" enabled you have no way of detecting idle caravans. *sigh*

So yeah lots of petty annoyances, but I'm enjoying the game despite the occasional hair-pulling episode. It could've been a lot better, but it's not too bad even with the punishing user interface factored in. The Goodie Huts are also cranked up to 11, which keeps your heroes running all over the map and promotes getting you out there exploring.

The food scarcity situation is also a really interesting twist. Your cities are only as good as the resources supporting them. We've done the "spam a hundred cities" thing in a hundred games that came before. Making cities cheap to build but expensive to support really changes things up. But then that too is brought forward from GalCiv, isn't it? "Not every 'habitable' planet is a place you'd actually want to live," was the warning about Class 7 planets I remember well -- after actually settling one and discovering firsthand how bad an idea that was.

With the "fantasy version of Fallout" back-story WoM can make food scarce and bring back the settlement limitations we fondly recall from GalCiv. That part works really well, at least for me. That's probably my favorite aspect of the game. In my first game one of my cities was burned to the ground and suddenly all my other cities, stuck at level 2 and sucking up my gold, could become thriving level 3 and 4 metropolises earning massive profits. "Oh, that city they burned was actually hurting my economy, wasn't it?" Epic.

August 30, 2012 5:29:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Really? I was actually considering it, is their a demo out?

Is there nothing "lost" between editions, like story or anything? It's looking like FE is "the game we were supposed to make".

August 30, 2012 8:49:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

No, you don't need to know the story of the first one to play FE.  And if any part of the story is important (which I don't think it is), it will be mentioned in the FE campaign.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000657   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+