Stardock

Many Steam Envoys To Your Gravity Wells

By on July 18, 2012 1:57:11 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

blujay42

Join Date 07/2012

HELLO. I AM NEW.

THIS POST IS STRANGE.

THIS GAME IS A GOOD DEAL FOR $30.

Anyone else new here? I haven't every played the ICQ multi-player and have only  a rough knowledge of the game mechanics from playing at a few LAN parties. I've yet to utilize diplomacy, for example. Anywayz, this is my pointless introduction post.

I started playing Vasari and I like the race a lot but they seem... weak in the late-game. They strike me as the Zerg of this RTS; I was wondering if you guys could give general pointers about the other races (or just try to sell me on one you're a big fan of) because I don't want to get pigeonholed into playing an early-game race in this one. In Starcraft II Zerg is fun because the longest Starcraft game is usually half an hour. In this game I think empire logistics play a bigger role.

11 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 18, 2012 2:18:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Actually, while Starcraft comparisons don't work that well in Sins, the Vasari are closer to the Protoss than the Zerg. All their ships take more fleet supply and have weaker stats at first, but they have many unique abilities and technologies that can totally change the game and give them benefits other races can only dream off (shield piercing missiles, phase stabilizers to jump between unconnected planets etc.).

The TEC are the simplest race to play as. They get access to trade early and have the best overall economy and production base. Their ships are very cost effective but tend not to have the powerful abilities the other factions rely on. Because of this its very hard for the TEC to win a fair fight, but they don't need to, they should be fielding more ships and are the perfect race to win a war of attrition.

The Advent also have very good military ships, though they have the weakest economy as their civic techs tend to focus on culture, which has many effects but none is particularly good on its own. By themselves their ships have good damage but are somewhat fragile and shield heavy, but you won't be using your ships by themselves. The Advent dominate by using synergies between their various units to massively buff themselves or reduce the effectiveness of their opponents, making the whole fleet far more dangerous than the sum of its parts combined. Its not uncommon to see fully developed Advent fleets rip apart almost equally sized but badly managed fleets with almost no casualties.

Welcome to the community.

July 18, 2012 5:15:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Qu5r??

July 18, 2012 6:27:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

TEC's flimsy but cheap, Advent are buff-supported strikers and Vasari are slow to get going, but hit like a freight train once they're ready.

I haven't played Starcraft in at least ten years, so at best I'd say TEC are zerg, Advent is Confederacy and that leaves Vasari as protoss.  It's a thin comparison at best, but this game only relates to Starcraft distantly. 

July 18, 2012 6:57:58 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Welcome,

This game is in the category of easy to learn, hard to master. So, pay attention to all the little things they can turn into big things. Vasari are no different  believe it or not they have a VERY powerful late game.

If you check the tech tree look for a tech allowing you to build "phase stabilisers" with these you can skip having to jump from planet to planet and jump directly between two nodes. There are also starbase upgrades, capital ship upgrades, ultimate weapon cannon, as well as the titan (as long as you are loyalist) that can give these nodes as well.

That being said you will have to employ strategy to get the nodes where you need them but there are a ton of ways to completely bypass enemy defenses and make the enemy fight on your terms.

This is only a brief example of the many little things all throughout the game that are easily overlooked so if you have further questions come on back.

July 18, 2012 7:10:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Seleuceia,
Qu5r??

Maybe, but I think ICQ wouldn't be the only thing wrong with one of his posts...

July 18, 2012 7:38:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Good deal for $30?  Haven't used envoy?  Vasari for early-game? 

Too much potential irony...

July 19, 2012 12:11:56 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I have no idea what you're on about.

Hah! Phase stabilizaers are the reason I play vasari right now (and I discovered them immediately) - and also the reason I play loyalists ;0, the ability to just have your titan be like OH WHATS UP ASSHAT and call in reinforcements has proven really cool.

So far what I don't like about this game is that the Starcraft (yeah I realize terrible comparison material there) end-game "durr I fly my building into the corner and make you build air units, hurr I make buildings everywhere" drag-out can end up being 2+ hours long, at which point I earn a loss because I'm not willing to spend 2 hours in siege mode. I realize there are strategies that can get you past this (Novaliths) but still, it's annoying.

Particularly the bots need surrender conditions.

July 19, 2012 12:19:09 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting blujay42,
Particularly the bots need surrender conditions.

They actually can surrender, especially if you're way ahead of them in both fleet and economy. But I agree they sometimes last too long, so definitely play with the capital victories enabled. When you get bored of a player, just Kostura right to their home world and bomb it back to the stone age. The Vasari have the best siege cap with the Vulkoras Desolator, one mid level one will make taking out planets much faster.

July 19, 2012 12:20:23 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting blujay42,
OH WHATS UP ASSHAT

Carbon

July 20, 2012 11:17:24 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Another thing as Goa said TEC is the best race to start as simply because of the straightforward nature of tech and ships.  They are also a ton of fun provided you play to the individual strengths (loyalist= more defense \ rebels = more offense).

Regardless of which side you choose the TEC economy is second to none and gets off to a much earlier start. Which with more money comes the luxury of experimenting with different strategies to find one that suits you, as well as, the flow of the game.

July 20, 2012 6:51:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting quadmiller7,
Another thing as Goa said TEC is the best race to start as simply because of the straightforward nature of tech and ships.  They are also a ton of fun provided you play to the individual strengths (loyalist= more defense \ rebels = more offense).

Regardless of which side you choose the TEC economy is second to none and gets off to a much earlier start. Which with more money comes the luxury of experimenting with different strategies to find one that suits you, as well as, the flow of the game.

But the TEC have boring portraits.

Also, slave labor. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000484   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+