Stardock

The Government of Australia wants to take away your privacy.

By on July 17, 2012 12:11:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

StevenAus

Join Date 06/2010
+106

The Government is considering the most sweeping and radical changes to Australia's surveillance and intelligence laws since the establishment of the original powers in 1979. 

Here are the five shocking ways your privacy is at risk:

1. Internet providers and social networks, like Facebook and Twitter, could be forced to retain detailed logs of your activity - such as places you check-in to eat and every word of conversations you've had with your friends on chat and over email - online for up to two years.
  2. You could be forced to provide authorities with access to your private data - including passwords to your computer - without cause. If you don't, you could face jail time.
  3. Agencies could add, modify or delete existing files on a target computer. In a worse-case scenario, ASIO could access your private information and plant something on your computer - like a photo or a document - that you did not write or own.
  4. There will be less accountability when spies access your private data. With so much more data being collected and a lack of corresponding oversight and capacity, it is potentially easier for hackers to access this important information for ill use, simply to reduce paperwork.
  5. If you are associated in any way with the target of an investigation you could be obligated to provide access to your computer and personal information, in order for ASIO to gather information on the subject of their investigation.

Sign the petition to Attorney-General Nicola Roxon using our tool on the right, asking her withdraw the Government's support for these controversial changes to surveillance laws.

http://www.getup.org.au/campaigns/privacy-matters/government-spies-invading-your-privacy/five-ways-your-privacy-is-at-risk

26 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 17, 2012 1:28:21 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Geezus...not you guys too!?

July 17, 2012 1:33:49 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Nothing new there....the US faces the same issues....as does all of the Western world...eventually.

I wouldn't take ANY stock on the ability of ANY 'Attorney General' in Oz being able to do ANYTHING at all....positive OR negative.

Not when it took a shit-load of years to simply get an adult classification to PC Games....

Australia has 5 Attorneys General TOO MANY.

July 17, 2012 1:37:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't know, 1984 seemed like an ideal place to me. I could learn to live with it. 

July 17, 2012 5:57:06 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting WebGizmos,
Geezus...not you guys too!?

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls..."

July 17, 2012 12:29:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's why you can't move to a more dependant windows OS. One day you privacy and ability will butt heads. If you can't work offline, you won't be online.

July 18, 2012 11:53:29 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I wouldn't expect you to get this right - useless Aussies. I mean, you haven't got the hang of shark fishing yet...

July 18, 2012 12:46:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Oh, the desire to limit freedoms and the right to at least a bit of privacy is not just restricted to Australian and American politicians, let me assure you.

July 18, 2012 1:14:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Just wait, it won't be too long until all of your communications ( telephone etc ), entertainment ( TV and Radio ), and more will be 100% internet based. The Dish Networks, etc will be a thing of the past. So unless you plan to spend your life in a vacuum you will have very little privacy at all.

July 18, 2012 1:24:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

A little privacy is better than none at all.  And I think the OP mentions a scenario of "if you don't relinquish your privacy for any reason we see fit, you're going to jail".  And also not every company sells or gives away your information.

I strongly assert my right to have "just a little bit of privacy".  And I think all of us want "just a little bit of privacy" until we all become telepathic.

July 18, 2012 6:58:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Sign the petition to Attorney-General Nicola Roxon using our tool on the right, asking her withdraw the Government's support for these controversial changes to surveillance laws

Done!  I mean, what a crock of shite this is... next they'll be wanting to know which hand we wipe our arses with.  Me, I use paper, so there 'll be some confusion for the government there... being most of 'em couldn't find theirs with both hands and a map with clear directions.

For mine, the sooner we get rid of this traitor to humanity prime minister and her cronies the better.

July 18, 2012 7:23:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Fuzzy Logic,
I wouldn't expect you to get this right - useless Aussies. I mean, you haven't got the hang of shark fishing yet...

The hell they don't... they chum and put a pommy on the hook for bait... until the Greenies protested the horrific, inhumane poisoning of the sharks. 

You all think they haven't been spying on everyone for years? Now they moan the 9/11 mantra and "Taliban this and that" and the "Patriot" Act... and *poof, they have all the powers they always wanted: Happily (and idiotically) surrendered for "Security and the protection of the country and western civilization"... and any surviving will soon be gone. Hell, there haven't been any since way before the Civil War.

If that weren't bad enough, they then tell us, "If you have nothing to hide, why all the fuss?", while carrying on with Congressional pages, interns and insider trading.

Time for the tar and feathers, imho.

July 18, 2012 7:50:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Welcome to the interweb.

Nothing here is private.

July 18, 2012 8:53:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Snowman,
Welcome to the interweb.

Nothing here is private.

Maybe so, but when government wants to see ALL you do and look into EVERY orifice, it's far too much and has to be stopped.  It's like they consider every one of us a terrorist and/or criminal... no presumption of innocence, and they can do as they please with us.

Sadly, this will not reduce the incidence of organised crime or terrorism [they'll just get smarter] and the days of Stalinism are NOT dead.

I'm not normally a violent minded person, but for mine, we ought to start hanging a few politicians here and there [can't reuse a bullet but you can a rope] to let them know we elected them to SERVE US and we WON'T BE BULLIED.

So what's the difference between a banker, a politician and a rapist?

Nothing, they all dangle the same way at the end of a rope.

July 18, 2012 9:12:50 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
The hell they don't... they chum and put a pommy on the hook for bait... until the Greenies protested the horrific, inhumane poisoning of the sharks

Nah....

We feed seaweeds to our sharks....they don't have any other value other than driving shaggin' wagons and aiding in the sales of hair bleach....

Crocs, on the other hand we feed with US tourists....

July 19, 2012 5:23:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

We don't have jails.

July 19, 2012 6:39:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

No, I guess you have gaols.

July 19, 2012 7:23:46 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,
Crocs, on the other hand we feed with US tourists....

To poison crocs that way is inexcusable. You are sentenced to South Central.

July 19, 2012 8:13:25 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting WebGizmos,
Geezus...not you guys too!

George Orwell 1984 

July 19, 2012 2:21:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,

Quoting Jafo, reply 14Crocs, on the other hand we feed with US tourists....

To poison crocs that way is inexcusable.

Nah, it's the safest way for us to harvest croc leather for handbags.

July 19, 2012 3:12:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

July 19, 2012 3:49:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Now that we've had some fun, let's get back to government bullshit ruining peoples lives.

I've just been made aware that my niece [and landlady] is having trouble with her exes new wife, who is using government [child support, tax and family laws, etc] to try to wrest ownership of this home to herself and him.

Now my niece bought him out fair and square and he has no legal claim regarding the property, but his new wife has uncovered and is using very obscure laws that place my niece's ownership at risk.  I mean, he walked away with over 400, 000 [proceeds from his share of the house, their savings/superannuation], but he blew it and now she's after the house.... and the government is letting her, despite my niece showing the relevant agencies that this woman is doing this more out of spite and greed than, legal claim/entitlement.

What's worse, the government agencies agree with my niece [citing several demanding calls every day for months], but they keep saying "the law is the law and we cannot do anything about it" to excuse their inaction/blase attitude toward what is patently wrong with this case.  If it is allowed to continue as is, my niece could be forced to file for bankruptcy to offset what would be a mounting debt she personally did not incur.

Anyway, I had some ideas that may help her and she has gone to seek legal advice regarding them.  Initial indications suggest that my thoughts could well save my niece from financial ruin, thank goodness.  However, it is the incessant government intervention into more and more facets of our personal lives that is responsible for this completely unnecessary debacle.

Gillard, you foul piece of flesh [won't say human], you and your Labor cronies sticking your noses into family affairs are responsible for this totally abysmal state of affairs.

July 19, 2012 4:13:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

gee Starkers....     if the divorce has been finalised.... and she shows she's paid him out...which no doubt she has proof of.... and she holds the deeds to the property totally in her name.... it's really hard to understand how that couldn't be rock solid....and if it isn't... well... there should be a lot of nervous home owners out there.... 

yeah... this Government just needs to move on.... before it embarrasses us and itself anymore......it's just been a shocking blot on our political history.... and now they're talking again of Rudd coming back.... really?..

just grasping at any desperate straws.... it's really quite sad and pathetic now... cringe stuff...    

and now.... this...  http://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/new--plastic-tax--may-add-over--300-to-household-grocery-bills.html

gee....someone figured out that our grocery bills weren't high enough.... lets slug 'em a bit more.... really.... it's getting so depressing...   

had my brother stay over here from Seattle for 4 months earlier on in the year.... I swear he was about to go into cardiac arrest everytime I went through the supermarket checkout... he'd then compare prices over there.... lordy we get ripped off over here.... on everything.... no wonder people turning to online o/s shopping...

July 19, 2012 6:36:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting sydneysiders,
gee Starkers.... if the divorce has been finalised.... and she shows she's paid him out...which no doubt she has proof of.... and she holds the deeds to the property totally in her name.... it's really hard to understand how that couldn't be rock solid....and if it isn't... well... there should be a lot of nervous home owners out there....

Yeah, everything was finalised and he was paid out on all he was entitled to.  However, this woman is using the kids, family law, child support laws and tax laws. The trouble is, she's not using them as they were intended, but rather by using obscure and ambiguous clauses that were supposedly written for specific cases involving the wealthy... which my niece is not, though the pencil pushers seem not to care about her financial status... that she currently lives below the poverty line, no thanks to government intervention in what should be private family matters.  Let's put it this way, there's 2 children involved, but due to this woman's manipulation of things, the child support only goes one way... from my niece to them cos the kid don't see it. 

And to make matters worse, the child support is calculated on last years income, which was 3 times more due to a forced [health related] change of employment.... meaning she has to pay 3 times more than her current income allows... and on top of that this spiteful woman is looking at ways to include into the child support equation the daughter's Austudy, my niece's new partner's income.... and rental income.  Sure we pay rent, but it's only covering actual costs, nothing more, and the house is 'negatively geared'... meaning any income derived [not that there is in this case] is non-taxable.  However, this spiteful woman has spent hours upon hours bashing the law books to find ways to circumvent laws that are supposed to protect people like my niece.

Like I said before, it is spite driven [resentment that my niece was there first] and it will all unravel in her face.  She's not the only one who can pore over the law books, and I found some stuff that should reverse the situation... karma, if you like.

Quoting sydneysiders,
cringe stuff...

I'll say... now there's a vacant mind if ever I saw one, and he's an MP in charge of shit in this country.  How terribly sad!

Quoting sydneysiders,
and now.... this... http://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/new--plastic-tax--may-add-over--300-to-household-grocery-bills.html

gee....someone figured out that our grocery bills weren't high enough.... lets slug 'em a bit more.... really.... it's getting so depressing...

Yeah, this government has to go.... not that I'd give the job to that Abbott idiot.... born with two brains... one's lost and the other's out looking for it.  So no, shopping would NOT get any better under that clown.

Quoting sydneysiders,
had my brother stay over here from Seattle for 4 months earlier on in the year.... I swear he was about to go into cardiac arrest everytime I went through the supermarket checkout... he'd then compare prices over there.... lordy we get ripped off over here.... on everything.... no wonder people turning to online o/s shopping...

Yeah, my mother recently returned from England to live and reacted exactly the same way... that food prices here have steeply risen since she left and are daylight robbery, with other stuff even worse. She bought a memory foam pillow to replace the one she couldn't bring with her. Exact same brand/quality... here $79.95... in the UK, 9 pound 75p.  However, she did say that some of our electricals are a little cheaper [TV's Hi-Fi's, etc]

Still, that's not enough... not when you consider how much more we pay for most everything else.  And computer parts... let's just say I'm glad that I upraded when the Aus dollar was flying high against the greenback.  I've noticed components are already starting to rise in price as the AUD weakens against the USD.  Shouldn't make any difference when it all comes from Asia, and we're dealing in those currencies, but still we pay according to what's going on with in relation greenback... sucks big time.

July 20, 2012 6:53:50 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Starkers, you want to put aside the time to listen to this 2GB podcast from this morning.... on why Gillard was fired from Slater & Gordon law firm, and hasn't practised law since.....  in fact, every Australian should listen to it..... it has quite the stench to it....   wonder why the Craig Thompson affair has taken so long to investigate......  

she's dining with union bosses at The Lodge tonight... they're gonna have to fumigate the place when she's booted out...  

link....    click on  "Julia Gillard and the Australian Workers Union"  Friday 20th July... 

listen to it in it's entirety... including the ex cop talking about it afterwards..... 

July 20, 2012 11:16:10 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yeah, I'll listen to it later today, too tired now due to my mother visiting and getting very little sleep over the last couple of days.

However, I don't need a negative view on Gillard from anyone else to know that she is lower than a brown snake's belly... nor do I need her to bite me to know she is venomous.... just like the LNP parasite that recently became Qld premier, Campbell Newman.... lower than a basement spider and leading the state into political chaos.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000859   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+