Stardock.com ‚Äč

Bootskin & Right-Click Apps Compatible with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit????

Is Right-Click Compatible on Windows 7-64?

By on July 16, 2012 11:03:06 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Topcat61

Join Date 12/2010

Greetings fellow Stardock enthusiasts!!  Like you, I too enjoy collecting and using Stardock's many cool apps, themes etc. having been a member since 2004, I've amassed quite an impressive collection.  I seem to recall discovering Stardock's Bootskin for the first time. I thought it was a great app and ahead of its time. I couldn't wait to download Bootskin to replace that standard boring Windows boot screen.  I went on from there absolutely hooked on Stardock's apps and many incredible themes ever since. Sorry about memory lane.   Anyway, my question has to do with two of Stardock's apps, specifically Bootskin & Right-Click. I run Windows 7 64-Ultimate and would like to utilize these two apps once again without fear of screwing up my OS.  Can someone please say definitively whether or not  Bootskin & Right-Click have been revised to function on a Window 7-64 Bit platform?  Please help clear this matter up for me. I read so many different opinions about compatibility issues. What are the facts?? 

I encourage Stardock to be more proactive in revising their applications to keep pace up with the ever evolving operating systems. Perhaps post some kind of information table  listing each of  Stardock's  applications & the respective operating system(s) they are or are not compatible with.  Too many people have too many differing opinions on this subject and I suspect based on what they have written may not have all the latest & greatest information on the subject. of compatibility. 

From Stardock's somewhat inadequate technical support and customer services, I suspect these forums were put together to take the place of of actual realt-time technical support, producing user manuals/guides, troubleshooting manuals etc.  I love Stardock. However, sometimes it is frustrating when trying to find any up-to-date documentation put out by Stardock.  I believe they rely too much on skinners to do their technical support work job which is wholly unfair to the many talented, creative and hardworking master skinners out there who do so much and share so much and yet  receive so little for everything they do and share with the public for free,

I would like to suggest that a group of the best skinners get together and create their own master skinners website.  Charge a fair annual membership fee and pay skinners to create their wonderful works of art for us to use and enjoy.  I've seen too many thoroughly talented skinners come and go.  I miss their awesome work much of it is work paying something for if that is the incentive they need to stick around to create more great work.. Oops there I go again rambling on.....

Bless you all!  Stardock rocks and there is no other site that even comes close even though Stardock needs to improve, they are still the best in their industry and nobody even comes close..

Thanks folks for your readinf this posting and for your help! with Bootskin & Right-Click. 

I look forward to hearing from you.

Rock-On , Peace!

Wildwarzy

16 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 16, 2012 11:09:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Do NOT even attempt to run bootskin on Windows 7. It will make your system unbootable.

Right-Click is no longer supported for Windows 7

July 16, 2012 11:10:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Wizard would be correct. I will reemphasize, DO NOT, under any circumstances try to run bootskin on Win 7. You'll be reinstalling windows.

July 16, 2012 11:43:19 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

July 16, 2012 11:47:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You can't use bootskin on Win7 but you can use Logon Studio, it basically does the same thing.

http://www.stardock.com/products/logonstudio/downloads.asp

July 17, 2012 5:44:08 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

[quote who="Frankief" reply="4" id="3192981"]You can't use bootskin on Win7 but you can use Logon Studio, it basically does the same thing.

http://www.stardock.com/products/logonstudio/downloads.asp[/quote]

Does logonstudio give you the ability to change the boot screen too or just logon screen? Anyone heard of Win7BootUpdater and is it safe?

July 17, 2012 6:34:41 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'd use care and wait, JC...

July 17, 2012 6:42:46 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Stay on the safe side Wildwarzy and JC. LogonStudio should do it up nicely but leave Bootskin in the dust. No sense inviting trouble. That's my job....if you listen to the duck. lol

July 17, 2012 4:20:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I was not planning on using it. I just wanted to know if anyone heard of it and if it was safe. My initial question though is about logonstudio. Does that software do the boot screen too? In other words the startup screen and logon screen are different as you know so does it do both things? If not then what will do the boot screen?

July 17, 2012 4:31:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

LogonStudio does only the logon screen JC. Sorry about the other, don't know anything that does the boot screen.

July 17, 2012 5:00:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If you are not pleased with the boot screen, open msconfig, click on the boot tab and put a check in the box that says no GUI boot and you won't see anything but a black screen. It really is only a momentary thing so

July 17, 2012 5:08:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hi Frankief, Thanks. I have done that and the default boot screen does not bother me. I just think it would be nice to be able to change it to reflect certain themes. For example I have used  a couple of transformation packs that did change the boot screen to reflect the changed gui. One was gnome and the other was a mac theme now to fix my keyboard that is going wonky No periods................ 

August 25, 2012 6:39:51 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

There is a program called "Vista VisualMaster" which should do what you're asking. I won't post a link here as it is not a Stardock product, but Google will turn it up in short order. I am using it for Vista x64, so chances are good that it will work. As a bonus, it's free.

September 12, 2012 2:19:31 PM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums Little Tiny Frogs Forums

Windows 7 moves through the boot screen so quickly compared to XP, Vista, etc. it's not even worth it.  LogonStudio works great, though.

October 29, 2012 2:45:45 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I found Rightclick somewhere and it works, it doesn't seem to work with rocketdock, but with objectdock it does. It has a few minor issues, but nothing that would cause you problems. At least so far, it works for me on  win7 64bit. I don't understand why they would discontinue a product like that, that really sucks. I'd like to skin my entire computer. As for the bootskin, I would have to say, if it weren't for the ridiculously quick shot past that boot screen, I'd want to be able to change it too. I was checking out that one website "doors" or whatever for windows, and there are quite a few free things on there to tweak different things in windows 7, or so it says, I tried one already that didn't work, to change the system tray icons, but I'm about to try another that changes the user picture frame. We'll see.... anyways, there are programs there that apparently are supposed to change your bootskin...but I dunno...I wouldn't try something that goes that far without getting better feedback on it working with this OS.

October 29, 2012 6:01:19 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting CRF,
There is a program called "Vista VisualMaster" which should do what you're asking. I won't post a link here as it is not a Stardock product, but Google will turn it up in short order. I am using it for Vista x64, so chances are good that it will work. As a bonus, it's free.

@CRF

Looking at it:

Theme Patch

Patch your original theme so that you can use other themes to personalize your computer.

From Lifehacker (http://lifehacker.com/5057929/tweak-your-windows-theme-with-vista-visual-master):

"Once you're installed and launched, you'll arrive at VVM's first tab, "System Settings." There are some cool tweaks here, nothing you can't accomplish with other utilities, but kind of nice to have quick access to while you're messing with the total visual style of your system. Now for the meaty stuff, "Theme Patch": Check one box, and VVM will patch your uxtheme.dll file so Vista can use non-Microsoft-approved themes."

CRF, the nice thing about Windowblinds is that it enables changing your theme without "patching" (hacking) your system files. There's a good reason we don't post about "msstyles" type programs here on Wincustomize: The act of patching/hacking might void Microsoft's warranty of your OS. This alteration will also cause Windowblinds to malfunction.

To those who haven't researched this and wish to return their system file uxtheme.dll to original condition:

1. You can get to this by simply typing cmd in the search box in your start menu. Run cmd as an Administrator (right click on the cmd.exe and choose "Run as Administrator").

2. Type the following:  sfc /scannow  in the dos window that opens.

3. Make sure you leave a space between sfc and /scannow

Your system will then repair any 'altered'/corrupted and missing files in your Windows system files. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000734   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+