Stardock

need Hebrew speaker

By on July 16, 2012 10:44:24 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

moshi

Join Date 06/2001
+44

i am currently working on a Rainmeter skin, that reads rss feeds from newspapers.

i have also made a config for Haaretz, but the problem is that Rainmeter has no support for Hebrew and Arabic script, so the text gets clipped on the wrong edge.

so i wonder if the text that is diplayed useful, or just gibberish.

screenshot:

8 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 16, 2012 10:54:18 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Maybe this helps...

Use this code:

#define STR_VARIABLES "משתנים"

//
July 16, 2012 10:59:59 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

moshi, I'm fluent in Hebrew.

The above screenshot does have a cut off... at the bottom only but which makes the prior sentence incomplete.

after "Pages which the American scientist and cooking enthusiast, Mavak"

I don't know however, if that was intended.

July 16, 2012 11:24:19 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

well, the text is longer is longer than the two lines, so that is somehow intended.

what i am interested in is: does it cut the beginnings of the sentences or the ends?

zinzinzibidi: thanks for the input, but that unfortunately wont work with Rainmeter-configs.

July 16, 2012 12:15:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The ends, but correctly... although in the middle of some words.

July 16, 2012 1:00:48 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

clipping in the middle of the word is how it's supposed to be (might suggest to the devs to make that an option in a future Rainmeter version.)

so, just to be sure:

the word on the left side is the last word in the sentence and this is also the word that is clipped?

so the only thing that is wrong is the ellipsis (...) on the right, which should be on the left as well?

do you know wether they have this ellipsis thing in Hebrew, if a sentence is not completed ... ?

July 16, 2012 1:21:22 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

To me it appears as if when a sentence is (or word) is cut at the end, the rest of the sentence has a lead in of ... .

If the end word is cut in the middle, it also has a  ...  . The ellipsis appears to be correct. 

Quoting moshi,
do you know wether they have this ellipsis thing in Hebrew, if a sentence is not completed ... ?

This appears to be acceptable, although I have no Hebrew RSS feed to compare it with.

July 16, 2012 2:25:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
To me it appears as if when a sentence is (or word) is cut at the end, the rest of the sentence has a lead in of ... .

If the end word is cut in the middle, it also has a  ...  . The ellipsis appears to be correct. 

this is good news. so actually only the ellipsis needs to be on the other side.  or shouldn't be there at all with languages as Hebrew, Arabic or Urdu

Quoting DrJBHL,

Quoting moshi, reply 5do you know wether they have this ellipsis thing in Hebrew, if a sentence is not completed ... ?

This appears to be acceptable, although I have no Hebrew RSS feed to compare it with.

because the ellipsis is not from the rss feed. the ellipsis gets added by Rainmeter. similar to the titlebar in Windows if the title is too long. Gnome and KDE (or Google Chrome) are smarter as the text just fades out, so no trouble with grammar then.

actually this is how it should be done. fading out instead of an ellipsis leaves more letters to display anyway. of course it still should be on the other side for these languages.

thanks for the help. at least it can be used, it just has some strange dots for now. so i can add more newspapers...

July 16, 2012 3:45:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting moshi,
thanks for the help.

You're welcome.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000093   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+