Stardock

Another great change on Steam

By on July 12, 2012 4:26:27 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums External Link

Rebell44

Join Date 02/2008
+3

Unapproved updates

While Valve have always encouraged developers to update their games frequently, those updates would previously need to be approved before they went live. They’re now changing to a new system, where developers can make updates live themselves, with no oversight from Valve.

What if your update breaks the game? Customers will tell you, and if you don’t hear them, Valve will tell you what customers are telling them. But ultimately, it’s the developer’s responsibility to check this stuff, release good updates, and fix anything that breaks.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/07/12/how-steam-is-about-to-change-its-role/

12 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 13, 2012 1:28:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

They shut down?

LOLS....just read your title and I had to.

July 13, 2012 1:47:44 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Why would you want them to shut down?

July 13, 2012 3:25:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

For me, I don't care one way or the other as I don't use Steam....and never will. However, IF they shut down, I wouldn't have to see the gaming community spiral towards 'steam only' games anymore.

Things like Civ V or Skyrim are real burners. They're single player games, yet require online connection to play. Pathetic. And you can't argue the 'offline mode' because you shouldn't need to go online to play offline.

Auto updating is another major problem with Steam. I don't auto update ANYTHING. I wait and see if the proposed update is better than the previous version. With steam, you have no choice and get screwed along with the rest.

Server time. Again, I'm playing a single player game and I can't because the online server is down???? That makes NO sense.

Malware. Yep, steam is full of intrusive software. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know the product. Anyone who defends it is profiting from it. I don't need or want that on my computer.

Ultimately, it comes down to choice. I won't use steam and that's my choice. Others will decide to use it....probably the majority. It's sad cause Steam sees this too and they abuse it. They know most people are too lazy to go out and purchase they're software. They expect the 'I want know' attitude and set it such that you sell your soul to do so.

They're next a-kin to EA. Collapsing all the small yet good game developers and putting out crap from then on. Sad.

July 13, 2012 4:28:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You're misrepresenting quite a bit of stuff there GFireflyE.   You are free to dislike steam and not use them, but just because someone disagrees with you doesn't me they are "profiting from it".   

You should give steam another chance.   Offline mode works fine for several games, and you can choose to not auto-update most games.   The games that require online always drm are few and they would be that way regardless of steam.  

Just my $.02.

I like digital distribution too much to give up on the leading platform, but I still purchase from other distributors as well when the deal is good.

July 13, 2012 5:18:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I always loathed the delay for patches to go from developer -> retailer-> client. Seems like one of the good things about the digital platform is that patches - once released - should be fairly instant and the retailer should not be involved much at all.

Steam has usually been fairly good in this area - often it is only a few hours or a day. Games for Windows Live was horrible - could take weeks but they always gave deadlines at least. Apple also not good, from days to a week for a crappy app update to go through their process.

But here's the thing. Did Steam do some kind of quality check? What was it? What were their reasons for not publishing a patch? Because that's not going to redflag anything now. So while faster patches from developer->client sounds great, let's not ignore that we will be missing out on something as well. What that is, we don't really know. But I think in the end, the responsibility should be on the developer, not the retailer, to make sure patches are right.

July 13, 2012 6:47:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GFireflyE,

Ultimately, it comes down to choice. I won't use steam and that's my choice. Others will decide to use it....probably the majority. It's sad cause Steam sees this too and they abuse it. They know most people are too lazy to go out and purchase they're software. They expect the 'I want know' attitude and set it such that you sell your soul to do so.

Okay, kindly point out what store I can go to to buy games like... well, pretty much any indie game on Steam.

What's that? Stores don't carry them? Huh, go figure. According to you, it was actually me being "lazy", and not the fact that the games wouldn't exist at all without Steam acting as an accessible and affordable sales channel.

Even for stuff that is in store, why would I want to waste gas to drive to Gamestop to be told that I should have pre-ordered a month ago because they don't actually stock new games (which has actually happened to me)? This makes no sense. It also makes no sense for the developers, who make double or even triple the revenue per game sold on Steam then they do per game sold at retail. I'm much happier giving money to the people actually making the games then to a glorified pawn shop.

As for why developers use Steam... aside from the massively boosted revenue per copy sold, Steam gives them stuff like social features, achievements, cloud saves, multiplayer connectivity, and a host of other features for free. Less time building that stuff and more time building the actual game? I'm failing to see the downside here. Steam even provides it at higher quality then the other tools on the market, like the notoriously awful GFWL.

They're next a-kin to EA. Collapsing all the small yet good game developers and putting out crap from then on. Sad.

This is so unbelievably stupid that I don't even know where to start. Steam isn't a publisher. They don't own developers. They don't tell them what to make. They don't fund them. They don't demand repetitive sequels. They're a store. They put up what other people make, and sell it.

Comparing them to EA just shows that you have no idea what you're talking about whatsoever. It's the exact opposite of the truth. Steam is the single best friend in the industry that small developers have, being the only reason why those small developers can sell games on a scale with the big boys.

That's the thing I hate about Steam haters. They do such a good job of ignoring all the good that Steam's done for the PC gaming industry because they're too busy whining about auto-update, which you've been able to turn off for quite a while. But hey, never let facts get in the way of good whining, right?

July 13, 2012 10:19:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Steam is arguably (and I'd say there's probably not even much of an argument) the single best thing to happen to PC gaming in the last decade.  Sure, it has flaws, but any number of games people rave about on this forum would not exist if not for Steam.  

How about this list:  Legend of Grimrock, Warlock: MOTA, probably Portal, and thereby Portal 2, and Endless Space.  All games that have generated a fair amount of discussion on this very board and every one most likely doesn't exist if the developers don't have Steam to count on for digital distribution. We'd see advanced tablet games, AAA PC games, and the very rare PC game that fell in between the two from a company able to withstand big financial risk like Stardock.  

Just yesterday I bought Legend of Grimrock and Warlock: MOTA on a whim off of Steam because they were onsale for something like $6 each.  That sale cost the game company nothing extra and earned them some small profit.  

In business it's called the long tail.  It's that part of the consumer base that wants things out of the mainstream, but generally goes unsatisfied because people that would like to create products out of the mainstream (because that is their passion) have no way to get those products to customers.  Steam gives developers the ability to access those markets easily and cheaply, making those niche products potentially profitable.  

Without the certainty of access to niche markets that Steam provides those products never exist.  In the age of consoles Steam, and its competitors, have saved the robust and varied nature of PC gaming.  It is certainly possible to not like Steam IN SPITE OF this fact.  But anyone trying to deny the good Steam has done is either not paying any attention or is talking out of their ass. 

Edit:  And just so I'm remotely on topic with the OP:  This change is largely irrelevant to me personally.  The auto-patching on steam has made it so that I haven't consciously updated a Steam game years.  If, under the new system, a bad patch slips through and breaks a game I want to play I'll just switch to one of the multiple $6 specials I've grabbed just because I thought I'd like to play them sometime (like Legend of Grimrock or Warlock: MOTA).  

As far as I understand it Steam is only checking to make sure that the patch won't break your installation.  A shitty patch that messes up the gameplay in some way would have made it through the old system too.  The percentage of installation cracking patches to valid patches will still probably remain ridiculously low so the chances of my game being busted are irrelevant.  

July 13, 2012 10:40:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think you mean that last sentence the other way around (ie. valid patches to installation cracking patches), though I certainly understand what you mean.

July 13, 2012 11:04:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting StevenAus,
I think you mean that last sentence the other way around (ie. valid patches to installation cracking patches), though I certainly understand what you mean.

Nice catch.  Thanks.

July 14, 2012 5:49:05 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Cliffsky (creator of Gratuitous Space Battles and Gratuitous Tank Battles) confirmed that this system is already in place for some time.

July 14, 2012 11:10:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GFireflyE,

They know most people are too lazy to go out and purchase they're software. They expect the 'I want know' attitude and set it such that you sell your soul to do so.

If Steam offered an English class would you take it?

July 15, 2012 5:57:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting mentalinstra,

Quoting GFireflyE,
reply 3

They know most people are too lazy to go out and purchase they're software. They expect the 'I want know' attitude and set it such that you sell your soul to do so.

If Steam offered an English class would you take it?

Nah, I'm bad at english.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+