Stardock

Piling up on enchantments, been there, done that

By on July 12, 2012 10:40:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

PocusFr

Join Date 04/2003
+2

I would dearly appreciate, if for a change, FE broke the old model that all games I can think about follow... i.e the best strategy for enchantment is first and foremost to pile them up on your most powerful units, and if you have really spare juice, a few basics units get some.

i.e Master of Magic, Age of Wonders, Warlord, Warlock and a few others.

Now, players are not the culprits here, it is just that when you have strong units, adding up more strength to transform them into juggernaut IS the best strategy.

So, in the same way that numerous design possibilities now exist and are well known to combat the infamous 'infinite city spawn' effect, aka ICS, it would be cool to find ways of combating this trend... Why, because it would be more fun in the end, first to not have the need of only an handful of unit to conquer a kingdom, second because it would lead to more diverse approaches and varied strategies.

A proposal would be to up the maintenance cost of enchantments, if on same unit, exponentially. i.e the more you have on a same unit, the costlier it is, for each new one.

There are others possibilities, and I'm sure Derek can find some, if he finds my problem, his problem too At least, I have vented my concern, if nothing else!

8 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 12, 2012 11:02:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

http://forums.elementalgame.com/427621

Look under  Step 6: Essence.

Sincerely
~ Kongdeh

July 12, 2012 2:29:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You are doing it wrong!

If you read my post, then you'll notice I'm speaking of units, not cities...

July 12, 2012 6:15:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Oh lol, thats what happens when I am tired and reading stuff

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

July 12, 2012 6:33:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well I don't like micromanagement... I prefer to have a few juggernauts then a swarm of units. The problem with enchanting smaller units is that they die and have to be replaced.

I think the best solution is the really big global spells in Master of Magic like Doom Mastery and  Holy Arms that give basic enchantments to all your units. 

So just make a spell that gives Evade to all your units for example, and make it cost a flat 10 or 20 mana per turn. Just realize, that these spells only pay off if you have massive armies, so you need to make sure there is incentive to build those in the first place. Currently I rarely build units,  instead I rely on champions to do everything, so its hard to justify the expenditure.  

July 13, 2012 1:27:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I prefer the middle of the road. The need for both few juggernaut AND many minions....but obviously not the the extreme of either.

The big units have to be scaled in upkeep enough that a player can only have a few of them. Scouting and troop position becomes key in making sure your big force can meet up with opponents big force.

At the same time, you don't want to have your juggernaut troops taking out all the little things. That's overkill....and wasting their precious time. Local troops need to be around for that.

July 14, 2012 1:18:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well part of the problem is experience points. If you want to level up your champions optimally, which I do because I love choosing new traits and unlocking powerful items, then you are encouraged to use them everywhere.

You want to have at least 1 champion in every single battle, just so you can soak up the exp and not waste it. Since champions are really strong, they naturally get the enchantments before your normal units, and this sort of feeds into the problem.

If you increase the gold wages of champions and then make mana upkeep the same as the wages for a unit, you could perhaps balance it out. This would require tweaking lots of other parts of the game though.

July 14, 2012 11:54:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I would imagine that a champion would understand their worth to you....since he/she is a unit for hire, there should come a time where they expect to renegotiate there wage. Else, they'll go else where and see if someone else wants to pay them.

That would be a very interesting dynamic. Make strong champs, and their upkeep will go up. However, the increased upkeep is worth it because of the champs value.

edit: and by upkeep, I refer to their hire fee

July 14, 2012 1:32:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

When I figure the cost of shop items into heroes I don't see a balance issue.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000219   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+