Stardock

Stripped to the Core and Terraforming

By on July 4, 2012 3:22:19 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

HouseRalan

Join Date 03/2008
+60

I like that the "ResearchSubject_DeclareFaction_... " are still in the game.  7DS will try to use them so at least the Empire might be mid-game faction switch.  Wish us luck.

Okay, odd things noticed...

Stripped to the Core and the planets themselves.  This one being a terran planet.

planetRuinDef
    ruinPlanetType "PlanetDeadAsteroid"
    attachType "Center"
    effectName "StripToTheCore_Planet_TerranHome"
    startTime 9.000000
    soundID "EFFECT_STRIPPEDTOTHECORE"
    creditsOnStrippedToTheCore 20000.000000
    metalOnStrippedToTheCore 10000.000000
    crystalOnStrippedToTheCore 5000.000000

I do wish you considered the Advent who were bombed to hell by the TEC and when exiled wandered about and settled somewhere inhospitable -could they have decent terraformation tech?

Advent colonizes dead asteroid and it become terraformed to asteroid, asteroid to dwarf thing, dwarf to desert, volcanic to desert, ice to terran?  While the Vasari are interested in stripping planets dry, the Advent build them?

how about looking into "planetBuildDef" option for each "planet"?

Also, how does striping a planet down to a dead asteroid gain you credits?  The Vasari are in full flight and they're tractor beaming coins and chit-cards into their hold?  Shouldn't research for "Stripped to the core" and the full mobility with capitalships having labs eliminate all credit costs for research and ships so they are dependent on metal/crystal only?

15 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 4, 2012 4:45:36 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You are right, all of this credit recycling doesn't make a whole lot of sense. This also holds true for scuttling of structures and buildings. Most likely it is simply a balance/convenience thing so you don't have to trade in all your new-found precious resources for credits. Although I would very much like this to work your way. 

Imagine a SttC-user needing to sell several thousand metal/crystal on the black-market to get some credits: Cheap prices for everyone else - BUY BUY BUY! 

Regarding your terraforming idea: Most intriguing... ^^ But I think this would require a bit more of variety in terms of planets, like different classes of terran, desert, etc-planets, to even the odds for everyone. But hell yeah, I like it.

July 4, 2012 4:52:08 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It would be nice if the ruinDef could have multiple settings, with different results depending on the "Strip" technology researched...

For modding purposes though, at the moment I suppose you could do terraforming just fine, but you could not have terraforming while simultaneously having the traditional strip to the core...

I do agree the credit gain is retarded...changed it for my personal use already...I also have asteroids "Strip" to asteroids (not dead asteroids) so that the lowest you can ever get is a normal asteroid (which still has logistic slots and population)...of course, you don't get any resources or any cool effect when you strip an asteroid, it just disbands normally...same thing done for pirate bases (I don't play with dead asteroids, but if I did they would be the same)....

July 4, 2012 8:58:11 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Seleuceia,
It would be nice if the ruinDef could have multiple settings, with different results depending on the "Strip" technology researched...

For modding purposes though, at the moment I suppose you could do terraforming just fine, but you could not have terraforming while simultaneously having the traditional strip to the core...

I do agree the credit gain is retarded...changed it for my personal use already...I also have asteroids "Strip" to asteroids (not dead asteroids) so that the lowest you can ever get is a normal asteroid (which still has logistic slots and population)...of course, you don't get any resources or any cool effect when you strip an asteroid, it just disbands normally...same thing done for pirate bases (I don't play with dead asteroids, but if I did they would be the same)....

Asteroids turn into asteroid belts when you strip them IIRC

July 4, 2012 9:15:32 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Which is most unfortunate. They should at least have all the extractors be converted to neutral ones. As it stands now, they are all but inaccessible to anyone. Bye, resources...

July 4, 2012 9:45:55 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ezeltje299,
Asteroids turn into asteroid belts when you strip them IIRC

They do in vanilla but I'm talking about a personal mod...you can change what each planet becomes after it is stripped (as well as what effect plays and how many resources you get)...you could even make an asteroid become a terran world if you wanted to (ie "terraforming") via a mod...hell, you might even be able to put negative values in for the "resources gained" and see if you lose money (or pay) when the planet is "upgraded"...

Quoting vyolin,
Which is most unfortunate. They should at least have all the extractors be converted to neutral ones. As it stands now, they are all but inaccessible to anyone. Bye, resources...

Which is why I advocate asteroids, dead asteroids, and pirate bases simply staying the same after being stripped...no effect, no resources, it's basically the same as disbanding...only difference is the text will still say Stripped to the Core...

July 4, 2012 11:45:32 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I think the terraforming ability sounds like it would fit the Advent Rebels, who are worried about the purification and survival of the Unity rather than the Advent Loyalists who are still going on about killing all TEC and converting the entire galaxy to the Unity. Seems to me the Loyalists wouldn't take the time to terraform planets for their low-caste mind-controlled members taken from both TEC and Vasari ranks.

July 4, 2012 3:05:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Imagine...

FrigatePhaseSiege->AbilityStripPlanet (Unlocked via existing research)

* AbilityStripPlanet is a synchronized targetted buff that requires the siege frigate to remain at the planet until stripping is completed. If the siege frigate is destroyed or ordered to move away the stripping process is stopped. A cool effect would also be needed to project from the siege frigate while the stripping is taking place.

AbilityStripPlanet->ApplyTargettedBuffToSelf(targetFilter(owner="Player",object="Planet"))->BuffStripPlanetSelf

BuffStripPlanetSelf->PlayPersistantAttachedEffect->effectInfo(...) * stripping pre-effect

BuffStripPlanetSelf->ApplyBuffToTargetNoFilterNoRange->BuffStripPlanetTarget

BuffStripPlanetTarget->ApplyBuffToSelfWithFilter(OnCondition(IfPlanetIsType(planetType="Asteroid"))->BuffStripPlanetAsteroid

BuffStripPlanetTarget->ApplyBuffToSelfWithFilter(OnCondition(IfPlanetIsType(planetType="Terran"))->BuffStripPlanetTerran

BuffStripPlanetTarget->ApplyBuffToSelfWithFilter(OnCondition(IfPlanetIsType(planetType="Desert"))->BuffStripPlanetDesert

BuffStripPlanetTarget->ApplyBuffToSelfWithFilter(OnCondition(IfPlanetIsType(planetType="DeadAsteroid"))->BuffStripPlanetDeadAsteroid

BuffStripPlanetTarget->ApplyBuffToSelfWithFilter(OnCondition(IfPlanetIsType(planetType="Ice))->BuffStripPlanetIce

BuffStripPlanetTarget->ApplyBuffToSelfWithFilter(OnCondition(IfPlanetIsType(planetType="Volcanic"))->BuffStripPlanetVolcanic

BuffStripPlanetTarget->ApplyBuffToSelfWithFilter(OnCondition(IfPlanetIsType(planetType="Moon"))->BuffStripPlanetMoon

BuffStripPlanetAsteroid->instantAction(StripPlanet(

stripTime 120.00000
    ruinPlanetType "PlanetDeadAsteroid"
    creditsOnStrippedToTheCore 2000.000000
    metalOnStrippedToTheCore 750.000000
    crystalOnStrippedToTheCore 250.000000
    effectInfo       
        effectAttachInfo "Center"
        smallEffectName "StripToTheCore_Planet_Asteroid"
        mediumEffectName "StripToTheCore_Planet_Asteroid"
        largeEffectName "StripToTheCore_Planet_Asteroid"
        soundID "EFFECT_STRIPPEDTOTHECORE"

))

Would be fairly easy to convert this to Terra forming...

July 4, 2012 3:10:24 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Too bad the devs are probably not going to make this possible....

July 4, 2012 3:49:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Seleuceia,
Too bad the devs are probably not going to make this possible....

probably true... just throwing this out to show there's a different way to implement this.

Cool thing about this approach now that they have the base implemented is that nothing is really all that new here. 

OnCondition already exists and instead of "scuttle" causing STTC you get a buff instant action that triggers STTC.

July 4, 2012 3:57:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ZombiesRus5,
buff instant action that triggers STTC.

I wish they had implemented it that way...I'd much rather have it a buff instant action....

July 4, 2012 5:04:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Strictly as an economic explanation not a defense of the game approach:  the Vasari mobile fleet is a mobile society.  The influx of raw materials to be use in processing and construction would fuel trade assuming the Vasari have individual for-profit commercial groups in their economy.

Basically, getting all the materials, offloading, inventorying, distributing and processing-refining all equal jobs and mercantile exchange.

I'd personally like it better if the credits were managed and obtained by the player based on what they did with the resources--selling on the market specifically. A militaristic empire living in space on warships probably isn't a purely capitalistic society.

July 4, 2012 6:47:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

stardock set up stripped to the core on for scuttling the planet.

dawn of victory redefined 'credits' as 'manpower' or something along those lines.

July 4, 2012 7:22:24 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting SemazRalan,
stardock set up stripped to the core on for scuttling the planet.

which sorta suks

Quoting SemazRalan,
dawn of victory redefined 'credits' as 'manpower' or something along those lines.

Redefined a StringInfo. We're calling it production in dawn of the reapers. 

September 2, 2012 11:38:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I agree with the OP. STC should only give metal and crystal. I also think giving the advent the opposite ability would balance things out.

Allow them to turn a dead asteroid into either Ice or volcanic planet, but not into Terran. And allow them to gain this ability even sooner than the VL get STC, but make it take a loooong time to complete.

maybe buff TEC planetary bombers to compensate. Come to think of it, they could turn the Korsov into a highly armored, extremely powerful planetary bomber. Just make it a lot more expensive, but turn it into a heavy frigate and give it long-term radiation bombs, akin to the Novelith cannon warhead. That way, they can choose to make a planet inhospitable if they want to.

September 3, 2012 12:04:08 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If you're running a total conversion, technically you could set it up so SttC strips to a better planet, and maybe even costs negative resources (represents cost of terraforming, though this might not work well due to fleet supply being involved), which would achieve a similar effect. Of course it means you would lose the current form of SttC, though this inevitable.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000765   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+