Stardock

Tiny icons on docks when Windows text display set to 125%

By on July 3, 2012 10:03:29 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

bugmenow

Join Date 03/2009
+2

Some of the default icons for programs will become very tiny when the display text in Windows 7 is set to 125% (Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display). I changed the text back to 100% and those icons returned to normal. Is there a way to fix this without changing display text to 100%?  The text is too small at that setting.

Here's a screenshot: http://www.imagebam.com/image/8400f4199955797

8 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 2, 2012 1:47:11 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Nobody else has this problem?

October 2, 2012 2:40:54 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I do not know what your operating system is but you can change the size of the font for individual items from the display properties, advanced without doing the 125% thingy. Just use the drop down box and choose each item that has a font option and choose the font and size you want (i.e. 11 point 12point 13point) until it is a size to your liking. This method should not affect the icon sizes.

October 2, 2012 5:45:42 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Frankief,
I do not know what your operating system is

display text in Windows 7

October 2, 2012 9:32:25 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I can change some of the stuff in Display Properties but not all of them. Taskbar buttons and text and the system tray are smaller and can't be changed. Text in some of the menus are still small. Text in windows are still small etc.

I have a program that can extract and save the icons from .exe file. I've been using that workaround to get the default icons back although it's kind of annoying.

I'm not constantly adding shortcuts to the docks but I am always using taskbar and menus so I don't think it's a good tradeoff. I think I'll just stick with the 125% text display.

October 2, 2012 9:35:20 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

have you tied making shortcuts to the programs on your desktop. then dragging them on to the dock from there? I found this to help with missing icons with certain windows default apps. it might work for you..

If not you can always change the icons to one of the many in the objectdock library..

October 5, 2012 2:12:38 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Yes I've tried that. It doesn't work. I have been changing the icons or extracting and saving the original icon but it is annoying as it seems to happen half the time when adding shortcuts. Does this happen to anyone else or is it just me? Can you switch to 125% text and test it out?

October 5, 2012 2:28:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Can you lower your screen resolution? This will make everything larger, including text and should not make ObjectDock icons smaller.

October 27, 2012 8:45:56 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I am encountering the same problem of tiny icons in Windows 8 Pro if display is set to anything other than 100%.  With Windows 7, icons were fine if custom sizing was set to 105%.  But not with Windows 8.

Not all icons are affected; just some of them.  I haven't yet figured out what the common factor is to icons that come out the correct size vs ones that don't.

Decreasing screen resolution is not an option.  Nor do I want to adjust windows elements individually--things end up not fitting exactly when I do that. 

Is there a way I can make the icons display properly in ObjectDock?  If I had to create custom icons, I could do that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000156   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+