Stardock

ODP is very slow at startup

By on July 3, 2012 2:52:37 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Spyrofunk

Join Date 02/2007
+8

It takes most of the loading time after boot....my system (win7, intel i7, 16gb RAM) loads up very fast, but at the moment it hits the desktop ODP takes around 30-40sec to load up which seems a little bit too much considering the nature of the application. It's frankly a little bit of a PITA

I have no special docklets loaded, no network links....just a lot of icons from all over the system in one tabbed dock. and other dock with disk drives and common folders.

All my hard drives are fully working before windows gets to the desktop.

The major problem is not ODP taking time to load, the problem is that when it does, the system is basically unusable, the whole windows UI is slow (almost frozen) until ODP loads up.

So you have basically a system that loads up very fast, but you have one application that takes a lot of time to load screwing the whole experience.

The one million dollar quesion is...does anyone have a similar experience?

Does Stardock knows about this, and can hopefully come up with a solution?

I already had a talk with some stardock support representative, but he wasn't able to really provide any help.

Here's a link to a forum where the guys are having the same problem:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/168925-objectdock-slow-startup.html

Thanks in advance.

18 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 3, 2012 3:15:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

What you describe is not usual.  Please email support@stardock.com so we can gather some data and try to see what is wrong.

July 3, 2012 3:57:02 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

i just did.

Can a very simple custom skin from ODP v1.99 cause this?

The skin loads just fine, I don't see any errors there.

Also, my docks scripts are old, migrated from v.1.99 (used in WinXP, VIsta and now win7)

I just don't want to start all over again....the main purpose of ODP is just that, so you don't have to go and gather all your icons again on each reinstall.

There's no way to export all my icons other than saving the scripts.....so....

July 8, 2012 5:06:33 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

No response from them in 4-5 days

July 8, 2012 8:20:44 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Stardock is losed for the Independene Day holiday; the confirmationresponse should have indicated that.

We'll be back Monday and will take a look.

July 8, 2012 9:02:13 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Zubaz,
Stardock is losed for the Independene Day holiday

Closed, Independence Day, too.

[hope he didn't mean 'hosed'!] 

November 5, 2012 3:05:16 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hey guys,

just moved to Windows 8 and facing the same problem.

Did a clean setup of Windows 8 x64 Pro & all programs.

My System: AMD Phenom II 955; 8GB Ram...

Did you find a solution for the problem?

November 5, 2012 10:15:21 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

ObjectDock is not supported in Win 8 yet.

December 6, 2012 9:20:20 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

same problem here...

December 6, 2012 5:40:34 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I switched to an SSD recently, same thing, slow loading time persists so I think is not a Disc problem.

Also, in windows8 is really hard to close the settings window, the click area on the close X red button is misplaced. 

December 6, 2012 6:55:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Spyrofunk and everyone else with complaints/problems regarding OD+/OD@2 nd Windows 8:

Quoting Wizard1956,
ObjectDock is not supported in Win 8 yet.

Be patient while Stardock develops a fix for OD and W8.

December 9, 2012 3:19:05 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I´m having the same problem! hope will be fixed soon!

December 9, 2012 6:44:07 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
Be patient while Stardock develops a fix for OD and W8.

yes thats obvious but thread like this point out the problem, hope the fix will show up fast, maybe they will fix some other things like OD not recognizing 64bit program locations in shortcuts.. btw. slow loading times also appear when I open a folder containing shortcuts to games (pined to my dock and set to 'show as a menu') for a first time, after it opens it doesn't lag anymore till next restart so maybe thats the reason - maybe OD scans the locations for so log ?

anyway I hope for an update soon.

December 13, 2012 2:09:31 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

"Be patient while Stardock develops a fix for OD and W8."

If you wanna call it "a fix" go on.

I'm patient, I'm just reporting.

And no, this problem has nothing to do with Win8 and you guys know it, I've been having this issue since XP and I have been repeatedly reporting and talking to support about it.

The answers from support are always generic even if I state I'm not asking for support, I'm reporting a problem.

Your software is awesome, I own many, I know it takes time to improve and maintain everything while you develop new things, but, perhaps you need to hire a couple more guys to cope.

December 13, 2012 2:28:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

For someone that has been having the same issue since Xp, I applaud your patience and support for a software company/provider that does not seem to fit your needs. Although, I feel compelled to think the needs differ from OS to OS. I'm not a tech savvy person and don't claim to be. I'm just a [apparently] pathetic end user who has no problem with/or forking over money to a company for the past 4+ years has made my experience that much more pleasant. I can't begin to fathom the energy it must take to put up [willingly] with such a flaw. I have yet to have a bad experience with 'reporting' an issue to Stardock and not receiving a promptly fix/response to MY issue(s). On a side note, I find it funny how a company [in this case Stardock, doesn't find it necessary to add Stardock/StarDock to it's dictionary to prevent a red underline when the company name is typed in its own Reply box]. Dunno if extra manpower is in need...  

December 13, 2012 7:13:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Spyrofunk,
And no, this problem has nothing to do with Win8 and you guys know it, I've been having this issue since XP and I have been repeatedly reporting and talking to support about it.

Spyrofunk ....since it is your system which is slow...whether XP or Win 8 - both  then it will be something specific to your setups [plural].

Others finding issues with Win 8 do so because it wasn't supported [yet].

The only thing I can suggest [and I'm not Support] is that ODock tends to load AFTER other things have 'started' and one that can give an apparent 'slow loading of OD' is loading activity of the rest of the OS ...particularly your AV.

I tend to watch the drive light thrashing and/or ram/CPU use during the loading process and compare it with what's trying to draw [load] on the screen.

If OD is the cause of a slow boot and/or unresponsive desktop it will be because something ELSE has issues with it...not it itself alone.

If it's always slow on your various versions of OS then something you use in all those OS vers is conflicting.

December 13, 2012 7:39:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I suggested this earlier but did not gain any response if it helped ( as far as i know )... anyway i will try here again if you hit control+alt+delete open your taskmanager 
Windows8 has a new one that will allow you to adjust autostart programs hit the tab autostart search for objeckdock now select it and change the priority to high. If your done you can restart ( as mentioned i dont know if this will speed up the process but its worth giving a try ) 
thanks

December 17, 2012 11:34:34 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Roloccolor,
Windows8 has a new one that will allow you to adjust autostart programs hit the tab autostart search for objeckdock now select it and change the priority to high. If your done you can restart ( as mentioned i dont know if this will speed up the process but its worth giving a try )

this only shows how applications are affecting windows startup, when it says high it means its delaying windows startup, you cannot change anything there, only thing I can do is to trace the most laggy apps and switch them off completely

March 16, 2013 6:51:50 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have the exact same problem as you but after reading another post on here I managed to fix the issue: "yes thats obvious but thread like this point out the problem, hope the fix will show up fast, maybe they will fix some other things like OD not recognizing 64bit program locations in shortcuts.. btw. slow loading times also appear when I open a folder containing shortcuts to games (pined to my dock and set to 'show as a menu') for a first time, after it opens it doesn't lag anymore till next restart so maybe thats the reason - maybe OD scans the locations for so log ?" 

I opened up my recycling bin (which I have on my dock) and I had +8000 files in it. OD must have been scanning these files at startup. I removed all the files from the recycling bin and OD launches perfectly.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000406   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+