Stardock

[.915] Lots of good, but kind of unplayable

By on July 2, 2012 3:12:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

BernieTime

Join Date 10/2009
+10

I really like the direction that [.915] is taking us, but the existing bugs in this version of the game are really critical ones.  When coming across a bug in [.915] they render the game unplayable.  An example, I defeated Queen Persephone (or whatever her name is) in a battle.  Now when I try to buy a horse from the vendor it also rewards me her crown and goes into a replication loop.  The purchased Horse cannot be equipped and the game eventually flakes out in short order.

The opposing players have no issue with Monster AI.  They're stacking up all these outposts and cities on top of monster lairs with no hint of trouble. I spend the first 1/3 of my game building up heroes to flush monster lairs out of my kingdom so that real growth can occur.  By that time the computer players are 5x-10x further in advancement, which basically feels like a cheat.

32 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 7, 2012 10:03:06 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd like to second this. I was playing the game and submitting bug reports a while back, around the time of versions 0.87 - 0.89. What ultimately turned me off the Beta process was the huge number of serious bugs.

I've seen them all: weapons and spells that don't work like they're supposed to, quests that simply don't work, crashes when loading saved games (repeatable), weird stuff like cities changing names (this is more serious than it looks; could be memory corruption inside the engine?).

I know what they say. It's a Beta, it's supposed to have bugs. The thing is, I've been around the forum since the War of Magic post-release betas . I bought War of Magic on release day. I've seen the attempts to turn it into a good game (in this respect Fallen Enchantress is much better). Unfortunately, the general bugginess of releases hasn't improved much since then, and I think this will be what ultimately breaks the game if things don't improve.

July 7, 2012 11:37:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

How to nice to see all the positiveness in this thread... oh wait...

I am pretty sure the developers are working hard to remove bugs, thing is, whenever they implement something new, or change something (like they will change the cities in beta 4) they WILL implement new bugs every time, even bug fixes can bring along new bugs.
This is how it is everygame, and you will only see a downgrade in bugs nearer the finishing product, when they have the game they want, and is only focusing on polishing the numbers, updating the UI, and removing the bugs.

That said, there haven't really been done any work on the user-side of this game for a while now, and reporting the same bugs is not really fun... Hope you guys don't lose spirit.

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

July 7, 2012 2:57:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The worst part is having to constantly kill champions who you've just defeated, in a never-ending loop.  In my last game, I finally lost a city to an onslaught of enemies, and when I tried to retake it I found all the champions that I'd killed untold times, stacked up there defending it.  End of game for me, I can't compete with that.  If the devs won't change this crazy mechanic, at least give us an option to make champions mortal.  Please.

July 8, 2012 12:30:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I agree with the last post.  The end of game can be frustrating killing the same guys over and over.  If the battle was close then I got to recover my army and by the time I attack another city it becomes even harder to take over.  If after killing a champion 3 to 5 times I think the champion should die or make them much weaker by making them a level 1 or making their total constitution much lower or both. 

As far as the bugs go, Im not concerned about them yet.

July 16, 2012 8:27:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

champions do accumulate injuries every time they are defeated so they do get weaker in some ways, even if they still level.

July 16, 2012 8:55:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yea some of those injuries are nasty and with enough healing and heal pots it seems any battle can be won. Especially with all the external spells you can pepper people with before they attack. Also some spells count enemies and do more damage so all those extra 10 hpt heroes cough cough Blizzard Spell.. cough.

Some games do get crazy with you in the center and it feels like the Alamo with everyone dogpiling on to the war against you...scoll next enemy..scroll next enemy..scroll next enemy.. scroll next enemy...... 

Those are fun too though.. you want tribute ??! YOU'LL GET MY SWORD!

I've been playing for a week and having a blast.

Yes some bugs are unsurmountable and ruin a great game.. what can you do. You restart, it's a beta.

Horsefly

-Proud badge owner "Fastest game loss in Beta"-

July 16, 2012 9:27:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Horsesfly,

Horsefly

-Proud badge owner "Fastest game loss in Beta"-

This.

I like.

July 16, 2012 9:32:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've had a loss before the first turn too.

July 17, 2012 1:20:45 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Mortenart,

The worst part is having to constantly kill champions who you've just defeated, in a never-ending loop.  In my last game, I finally lost a city to an onslaught of enemies, and when I tried to retake it I found all the champions that I'd killed untold times, stacked up there defending it.  End of game for me, I can't compete with that.  If the devs won't change this crazy mechanic, at least give us an option to make champions mortal.  Please.

I feel your pain -- I think this is a rather annoying issue in the current state of the game.  I know that this issue has been raised in more than one Discussion Thread on this site.  For example, there is a pretty vigorous discussion of this issue in Derek Paxton's "Fallen Enchantress: Beta 4" Discussion thread.  ( http://forums.elementalgame.com/427621 )  A number of respondents have suggested some possible solutions; including one which I outlined in my Reply #174 in that thread.  (It is too long to repeat here.)  You might want to view or join the discussion there.  Unfortunately, IMHO, there are also some Beta Testers who consider this a Non-Issue ... or at least one that need not (or can not) be meaningfully addressed by the game developers.  As I say, you may want to glance at that other discussion thread ...  

July 17, 2012 9:22:06 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting StevenAus,
I've had a loss before the first turn too.

You should have announced it. I already gave my 'fastest loss award' away to Horsefly.

July 17, 2012 10:15:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Don't worry about it.  Being true to oneself is its own reward.

July 18, 2012 2:21:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've found performance when loading turns is a big issue in this build. I think I saw some one mention here there is a known memory leak. Mid-game though on a medium map with 4 opponents, moving between turns is painfully slow once you start to reveal more of the map and encounter other AI players.

July 18, 2012 2:35:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What is your computer and OS configuration?

July 18, 2012 3:18:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The only hang I've noticed is one that follows the splash screen when first entering a quest area. Usually followed by a hang in the tactical battle map. This is my hunch so far so I plan to start a few more quest areas over a few more games and see if it holds true.

July 18, 2012 7:23:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting StevenAus,
What is your computer and OS configuration?

Win 7 64-bit

Intel Core2 Quad Q6700 @ 2.66GHz 2,67 GHZ

4GB Memory

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285

July 24, 2012 1:16:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,
The opposing players have no issue with Monster AI.  They're stacking up all these outposts and cities on top of monster lairs with no hint of trouble. I spend the first 1/3 of my game building up heroes to flush monster lairs out of my kingdom so that real growth can occur.  By that time the computer players are 5x-10x further in advancement, which basically feels like a cheat.

This!

Monsters in the current beta don't seem to attack the outposts/holdings of computer players. Bug?

July 30, 2012 8:55:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My experiences so far with .915 are mostly good. I even managed to do a number of pretty long continuous sessions (Large Map - Challenging) without the game doing a CTD at all (stability is very good), although it becomes a bit slow at times, specifically in tactical combat (laptop with 8 GB of RAM helps obviously).

Compared to some earlier versions, the aggressiveness of the wandering monsters seems to have decreased somewhat. That's fine, but if you have a creature spawning building in or near your zone of control, you should get into trouble and that should be the same for the AI. It's rare, but there do seem to be some attacks on outposts (haven't seen cities yet) of the AI. But they shouldn't be building outposts, let alone cities, more or less on top of those sites. That's what irks most people in this thread.

But some monsters do actually seek out targets; I've dealt with the wandering Ignis and the Earth Elemental Spawn (I forgot their name except their relatively high stats 13A/18D), which require you to be vigilant when putting settlements near them. That's the game element that should be kept in, although I don't know how to write an AI to handle this properly (as in putting some guarding units near such a place that spews out annoying wandering units from time to time). On the other hand, if the monsters become too aggressive, you use that tactic to loot their sites, which was done in earlier versions.

The champions thing is somewhat annoying, but they have very limited hit points after having been killed previously, and by that time I usually roll over my enemies anyway. What I would like to suggest to compensate, is that you get to pick off some of their possessions, that would reward you for taking them out better. That would even save them in some cases, since I saw Magnar cast Berserk on himself, even while having already equipped a Berserk item, with which he killed himself, because of his low remaining number of Hit Points.

The thing that makes the game work for me, is that you have to think of new ways to get the most out of your situation each time. That is, items you pick up, the location you start off with, the abilities you get, the heroes you get and so on. These variations keep you on your toes and make adapting very important. The only problem I guess, is that the AI simply cannot keep up with a smart human player.

July 30, 2012 2:35:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I can confirm that I've seen the Monsters destroy computer held towns and I can also confirm that the AI does not build near monster spawns. The later I know full well because I often send my main team into AI territory to clear monsters for xp they immediatly build an outpost on any resources near these cleared monster spawns. This tell me they wouldn't build there previously because of the monster hut.

I now follow my xp farming team with pioneers to grab resources before the AI ninjas them. 

August 3, 2012 8:17:37 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting stein220,
champions do accumulate injuries every time they are defeated so they do get weaker in some ways, even if they still level.

This has little impact on them. And is lame to begin with. I like that they can get injuries the lame part is that they are immortal which is one of the worst concepts in the current game. I know some people will say "But I put too much work into the champs for them to die" I'm not sure what "work" they are talking about besides this is a really stupid argument for having a unit that is immortal in a Stratagy game without having to bring that dead unit back through a high level expensive to cast spell or the like. 

It boils down to people just don't want the game to be too challanging to them. They don't want to loose. But what can one expect from the generation where score is not kept in little league Soccer or baseball games. And where it takes an act of congress just to give a kid a D or F in school for poor performance, after all thier feelings may get hurt.

August 3, 2012 10:33:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Note to self, don't listen to Bellack, he's just too negative and cant talk in a proper manner.

I do think the 1 hp champs shouldn't be able to defend towns, meaby put in a "hospital" building for them to hide in (so you'll have to pull them out when they are healed, a bit like the resurrect hero mechanic from heroes 6).

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

August 3, 2012 10:46:07 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Kongdej,
Note to self, don't listen to Bellack, he's just too negative and cant talk in a proper manner.

I do think the 1 hp champs shouldn't be able to defend towns, meaby put in a "hospital" building for them to hide in (so you'll have to pull them out when they are healed, a bit like the resurrect hero mechanic from heroes 6).

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

It pays to see the world as if the glass was half empty. Because when something positive does happen your pleasantly surprise and it feels better.  And your also more prepared when something does not go your way. If you a "glass is half full" sort of person then your more inclined to be disappointed when things don't go your way because you had a higher expectation.

Besides the Dark Side has better cookies

And yes I did show my frustration in games these days to be too damn easy.

August 3, 2012 11:09:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Bellack,
It pays to see the world as if the glass was half empty. Because when something positive does happen your pleasantly surprise and it feels better.  And your also more prepared when something does not go your way. If you a "glass is half full" sort of person then your more inclined to be disappointed when things don't go your way because you had a higher expectation.

Besides the Dark Side has better cookies

And yes I did show my frustration in games these days to be too damn easy.

This is much better. ^^

But remember I personally disregard stuff said in the tone in which I "moaned" about

Having had an accident and living in constant pain I cannot "afford" to look at glass as half empty, itd be too damn dark and danky a place to live.

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

August 6, 2012 8:11:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You can be positive and realistic at the same time.  In other words, looking forward to good stuff but not getting too upset if it doesn't happen all the time.

August 6, 2012 12:05:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Horsesfly,

I can confirm that I've seen the Monsters destroy computer held towns and I can also confirm that the AI does not build near monster spawns. The later I know full well because I often send my main team into AI territory to clear monsters for xp they immediatly build an outpost on any resources near these cleared monster spawns. This tell me they wouldn't build there previously because of the monster hut.

I now follow my xp farming team with pioneers to grab resources before the AI ninjas them.

It happens but it takes some time. In a recent game I saw one of my opponents (Verga) put an Outpost more or less on top of a drake nest. Then something weird happened; the Drake stack wandered off without touching that Outpost. I grabbed the item and stood there wondering where the Drake stack would be wandering off to.

Ninja'ing resources is very annoying. I tend to cordon off entrances into my backyard so to speak. In that way my opponent cannot easily get in. It doe become a bit of a Pioneer fest this way; just create loads of them and try to get to the resources first or deny your opponent access to resources.

August 6, 2012 3:29:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting LargeSpoon,

Quoting Horsesfly, reply 19

It happens but it takes some time. In a recent game I saw one of my opponents (Verga) put an Outpost more or less on top of a drake nest. Then something weird happened; the Drake stack wandered off without touching that Outpost. I grabbed the item and stood there wondering where the Drake stack would be wandering off to.

Ninja'ing resources is very annoying. I tend to cordon off entrances into my backyard so to speak. In that way my opponent cannot easily get in. It doe become a bit of a Pioneer fest this way; just create loads of them and try to get to the resources first or deny your opponent access to resources.

Gets very tedious!
I cant wait to the next expansion where I just grab the opponents outposts

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001484   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+