Stardock

Civ 5 Gods and Kings expansion

By on June 19, 2012 9:31:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

TheBirthday...

Join Date 03/2006
+13

So the expansion for Civ 5 Gods and Kings is out today. Think its worth the 29.99 they're asking?

96 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 19, 2012 9:59:45 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm definitely getting it next week when I'm less busy (and it is actually released in my region).

First impression of players and first reviews are rather positive, so I'm looking forward to it a lot.

I liked even vanilla Civ 5, so I think G&K will be all good stuff for me.

June 19, 2012 10:36:34 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting ,
So the expansion for Civ 5 Gods and Kings is out today. Think its worth the 29.99 they're asking?

Only if you liked Civ 5 going in.  If you didn't like Civ 5, this isn't going to change your mind.

June 19, 2012 11:09:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting KlaxXxon,

First impression of players and first reviews are rather positive, so I'm looking forward to it a lot.

I liked even vanilla Civ 5, so I think G&K will be all good stuff for me.

Yeah, buts its $29.99 that is the big issue. They're obviously charging a lot because they think people will pay, not because its what its worth. I'm not poor, but I don't like the idea of companies making obscene amounts of profit for sub-par games/expansions.

June 19, 2012 11:19:09 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Amazon has it for $26.99.  Redeemable via Steam.

Sid Meier's Civilization V: Gods and Kings [Download]

June 19, 2012 12:52:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

When you can get the full game Warlock from Paradox for less, then I must say that Paradox has the better deal.

June 19, 2012 12:58:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sins Rebellion is essentially an expansion for those who already owned Trinity, and cost Trinity users the same $30...just putting things into perspective...

June 19, 2012 1:14:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I only have $20 to spend so I'm waiting first for Gal Civ 2 bundle to go on sale for $9.99 then I'll buy Civ 5 expansion when it goes on sale for $9.99. 

June 19, 2012 1:16:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting joasoze,
When you can get the full game Warlock from Paradox for less, then I must say that Paradox has the better deal.

I realize I'm in the minority, but Warlock was a dud for me.  I played through it twice, and felt no desire to ever play it a third time.  To me, it wasn't worth the $20 I paid for it.

I installed the Civ5 expansion last night, but haven't had a chance to play it.  I really hope they've improved the AI, particularly on the diplomatic side.  While I really liked the gameplay mechanics in the original game, the AI opponents were just ludicrous diplomatically.

June 19, 2012 1:58:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Warlock at least does some things right- I don't think it's a great game like Brad does, but it's decent and worth $10. 

Hearing the AI wasn't really improved enough to make this worth a purchase, and with FE being the better running and better playing game already, I'm going to pass on Civ V.

June 19, 2012 3:14:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Cauldyth,

I realize I'm in the minority, but Warlock was a dud for me.  I played through it twice, and felt no desire to ever play it a third time.  To me, it wasn't worth the $20 I paid for it.

With you in the minority, I didn't even buy it. very disappointed.

June 19, 2012 3:30:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

1) Civfanatics sadly has been a for profit puppet of 2k for a bit now. You go there, post safe posts, stick your nose up the butts of the brass and hope to get hired while the site owners rake in huge profits from ads. Choose one of the many splinter sites if you want a honest opinions that takes many different perspectives into account.

2) I order from Getgamesgo.com for $22. We are basically paying for 2 features that should have shipped with the game to begin with..but I'll give it a shot for 20 bucks.

3) The production of Civ 5 is everything that is wrong with gaming today and while the game itself has been made playable..no one should support it. Plenty of pirate sites have cracked copies and this is one game where it is more ethical to pirate than to pay.

4) I didnt like warlock either..I think the voice acting poisoned it for me..it echos in yourt brain even when turned off

June 19, 2012 7:00:08 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting enoeraew37,
it is more ethical to pirate than to pay

No such thing. If you don't like it, grow up and abstain.

June 19, 2012 7:53:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting enoeraew37,
2) I order from Getgamesgo.com for $22. We are basically paying for 2 features that should have shipped with the game to begin with..but I'll give it a shot for 20 bucks.

Civ V completely redid many game mechanics that had been core to Civ II, III, and IV...trying to incorporate religion and espionage (which are not essential) would have only complicated attempts to balance completely new and unvetted systems like global culture, global happiness, policies, population -> research (instead of gold), city states, one unit per tile combat, etc...

God and Kings is comparable to the expansions of Civ IV...so I'm guessing you didn't like those either?

Quoting enoeraew37,
3) The production of Civ 5 is everything that is wrong with gaming today and while the game itself has been made playable..no one should support it. Plenty of pirate sites have cracked copies and this is one game where it is more ethical to pirate than to pay.

The game has had continual updates to fix bugs, graphics issues, UI deficiencies, and balance problems...updates have also added new content or fundamental changes to existing content...I won't claim the game is perfect but I daresay it is a good production...

Quoting enoeraew37,
Plenty of pirate sites have cracked copies and this is one game where it is more ethical to pirate than to pay.

Bullshit

June 19, 2012 7:56:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It is never more "ethical" to pirate something. Pirates are the lowest form of scum on the Internet, particularly those who rationalize their shittiness.

June 19, 2012 8:27:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Man you guys are lucky.... gods and kings for only $30!!!   In Oz, we are being ripped off for $50.... which is a whole $10 less than the original game price....  expansions should not be the same price as original game.......

So I'm going to keep playing FE, and Warlock

June 19, 2012 8:50:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
It is never more "ethical" to pirate something. Pirates are the lowest form of scum on the Internet, particularly those who rationalize their shittiness.

Pirates are not even remotely close to real "internet scum".

June 20, 2012 1:18:51 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Pirates 

To every pirate or would-be pirate, I have this to say: try your hand at making even a simple, viable computer game, and you'll get why such vehemence is heaped upon you by developers (not to mention the money).

Gods & Kings

I like it.  But I like Civ5 in general, if only for the fact that there are no more SOD.  Everything else is gravy.  Sure, the tech tree is a little linear, but I can finally win a game without having to have dozens of cities scattered across the map doing heaven knows what.  It plays much cleaner, has much more focus than Civ4 (which I loved as well).  GaK is just the first step towards a fully developed experience ala Civ4BtS.

Warlock

In its present state it is simplistic, but it is a solid foundation to build upon.  Yes, I will probably buy DLC (I think I already did w/ the reptilian civ).  

Cost of Gaming

Think of it this way; I coughed up approx. $70 for Skyrim, $60 for Skyward Sword, etc; that's just how console titles are these days.  PC titles just spread the cost over time (as far as I can tell).  Besides, there are so many discounts so frequently through digital distribution, funding the habit quickly becomes a moot point.

June 20, 2012 9:04:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

@Kyro & Frogboy : Still waiting for you to address why the Galciv2:ToA shipped with completely broken AI and you've done nothing about it but grab the money as it flowed it. Here is an ethical question for you - you gunna pay the modders who are fixing your game for you?

If developers can justify lying to customers about the quality and completeness of the product they are taking money for then I fail to see how its suddenly unethical for customers to "test" the product for free before hand.

June 20, 2012 12:58:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

@enoeraew37

Why are you bashing ToA now? That was a great game and it's a massive exaggeration to describe the AI as 'completely broken', thats just daft and you know it. Civ 5 is a great game too, you may not like it but I sure do - if you hate it so much why would you want to pirate it anyway? People say it lacks depth but the game feels sophisticated enough to me and I've been playing civ since the 2nd one - it's a good game now and it will be even better after a few mods.

Also, piracy is stealing so there is no justification for it regardless of whatever symantics/ethical gymnastics you may use - if you want to test a game they usually have demos and there are always forums and review sites so you can get a pretty good insight into what a game's about using these resources

June 20, 2012 1:29:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting enoeraew37,
@Kyro & Frogboy : Still waiting for you to address why the Galciv2:ToA shipped with completely broken AI and you've done nothing about it but grab the money as it flowed it. Here is an ethical question for you - you gunna pay the modders who are fixing your game for you?

If developers can justify lying to customers about the quality and completeness of the product they are taking money for then I fail to see how its suddenly unethical for customers to "test" the product for free before hand.

Are you kidding?   The AI in Galciv2:ToA is hardly broken.  I think your internal rating scale is off.    You can't justify pirating, you just can't - You don't see anyone saying they are going to pirate (i.e. steal) some pepsi to drink to see if the claims that it is twice as good as coke is true.   And you can't return an open can of soda to the store can you?

Bottomline:  If you don't like the risk of purchasing something then don't buy it!  Simple as that.  If the game or developer interests me then I buy the product, if not I don't or wait for it to be on a super sale that I can pick it up for a minimal amount.   Why should anyone believe they are entitled to try something for free?

June 20, 2012 1:55:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

"Know what you do with a scurvy pirate?  Make them walk the plank."  the Backyardigans

June 20, 2012 1:56:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You guys really don't see the difference between theft and piracy?

I'm not trying to justify piracy. I'm just saying that it is not a theft. It's... piracy.

June 20, 2012 2:23:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Gandhialf,
You guys really don't see the difference between theft and piracy?

I'm not trying to justify piracy. I'm just saying that it is not a theft. It's... piracy.

That picture is idiotic.  Just because what you are stealing is intangible does NOT mean you are not stealing.  

To the larger audience:

Anyone trying to justify piracy as an ethical or moral imperative is a fucking basement dwelling troglodyte.  Pay for the games you want.  If you really have an ethical problem with the company in question be a god damn adult and just don't purchase the game.  "You're a bad company and are evil for how you treat your customers so I'm going to steal your games and enjoy the product of your evil work." is the argument of a whiny 13 year old.  A really dumb one.  

June 20, 2012 2:24:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Pirates are the lowest form of scum on the Internet

I don´t think that piracy is a good thing or that it is a right of a modern gamer. But that comment is too black/white painting for me. Its not that easy. There are good and bad reasons on both sides.

I think both sides (industry and gamers, who pirate games) want go far with insults.

June 20, 2012 2:27:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Kantok,
That picture is idiotic.  Just because what you are stealing is intangible does NOT mean you are not stealing.  

You don't get the point. Tangibility is irrelevant. Removing original "thing" (tangible or not) is relevant. I, in fact, can steal something that is intangible: copy a file and delete it from the original source. Copying without deleting is not stealing.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000937   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+