Stardock.com ‚Äč

What happened to the Hard Aggressive AI?

By on June 17, 2012 8:25:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

MadBoris

Join Date 03/2007

I have been a customer since original Sins, buying almost every expansion, except the prior one.

I have probably logged hundreds of hours with the AI through it's years of growing, and with Diplomacy it was pretty decent although still limited.  AI has always been pretty fun for me, but I don't use cheating AI's.  Besides cheating AI's breaking some fun factor for me, cheating AI's are the developer taking a minimalist path of least resistance in my book.  it's a way to make an AI appear stronger by exploit rather than building better AI, one path is obviously harder and has better results.

Ironclad has always been one of those developers I trusted because of polished game development and great continued patch support.  I didn't expect the AI to get worse.

So it pains me to come here to say how really disappointed I am with Rebellion AI.

It's not that the lack of new content for $40 that is upsetting, it's the AI does not attack me.

The Pirates are the only thing that comes into my systems and attacks.

Did you guys not beta test the AI?

I have played 4 very long games.

1 vs 1 (Hard AI, Agressor)

2 vs 2 (Hard AI, Agressor)

3 vs 3 (Hard AI, Random AI types)

6 player FFA (Hard AI, All Aggressor)

I always try and stick with one star systems, and played one random faction 6 player FFA.

I never really expanded my fleet beyond what I needed to capture planets.

I only got attacked once as I just turtled for hours, trying not to research anything that would effect other cultures, because I wanted to fight.

After quite a few hours I have come to the place that I can't lie to myself that their is any challenge.

I even sat there at 8 times game speed waiting for one of 5 factions, that supposedly "hated" me, to attack.  They spend half an hour massing troops outside my planet to do nothing with them.

The AI is just horrible.  It's just unplayable because it doesn't attack so it poses no threat, even as I purposely turtle.  It's a large part of your player base.

On the plus side, I did notice some pathfinding improvements in the way enemies are quicker to chase capital ships leaving systems, but the overall AI attack just needs a lot of improvement.

I'm not a good player complaining about AI because I am l33t, I'd even settle for the old AI I had in Diplomacy.

The AI on hard builds and researches much faster than me.  So giving it more resources by cheating isn't the problem.

It is sending out a Titan before I even get started researching them, have 0 command points, <150 Fleet capacity, and have maybe $2000.  But my fears are unfounded because it's not smart enough on attacking.

For a $40 expansion I expected the AI to improve a little at least, not get worse on a serious level.

For a game series that has spent years focusing on just polishing the core game experience with expansions, rather than real evolution's or revolutions, it's quite disappointing to see the AI take steps back, rather than really advance with all the available CPU cycles these days.

After a couple days of playing I think I am done playing Rebellion until hopefully some patches address this.

51 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 19, 2012 3:56:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Dirty isn't a troll...hell, if Dirty qualifies as a troll, then why the hell aren't Boshimi and I on there?  Why isn't every modder (other than maybe Goa) not on the troll list?

June 20, 2012 3:49:57 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting AceXMachine,
No, it isn't.  And what a moronic attempt at a metaphorical comparison.  He isn't complaining about his bicycle not offering the benefits of a car.  He is complaining that the bicycle is now broken in some way (which it wasn't before in Diplomacy apparently), and would like it fixed.  The only thing your response does "proper and perfectly" is make you a smart ass, bordering on complete asshole.  To use your analogy, what you did is equivalent to me going to to the bike shop and telling the shop keeper that my bike is broken in some way (which is wasn't before, obviously), and some random asshole (you), butting into the conversation to say "why don't you get a car then...much more reliable".  Maybe I don't want a car?  Maybe I am an environmentalist?  Maybe I live 2 blocks from work?  Maybe I like to keep in shape?  Maybe you should mind your damned business if you cannot actually address/comment the concern of the OP, instead of your own singular opinion. 

I, like many others, do not play MP because I don't want to be rushed.  So I too would like the AI improved whenever, and however, possible.  You sir, can take your car, and shove it.  Thanks...

That depends on the nature of AI and the nature of human opponents in much the same way that a bicycle and a car have a certain metaphysical nature.  Basically, if you want opponents capable of strategic thought and of not doing silly things such as suiciding on starbases and titans and mismanaging capital ships, titans, and resources--you're just not going to find that in AI  The AI will always be inferior in some sort of a way in that department.  It is not part of the AI's nature to be capable of strategic thought.

If you want that, you need real human opponents which is why we have online multiplayer.  In contrast, if you want to play against an opponent with a severe cognitive disability, then play against the AI.  Basically, when you play against the AI, your opponent is mentally retarded.

I, like many others, do not play MP because I don't want to be rushed.  So I too would like the AI improved whenever, and however, possible.  You sir, can take your car, and shove it.  Thanks...

Repelling rushes and turning failed rush attempts against your opponent is part of the strategy.  There might also eventually be custom maps that prevent rushing (you start near all your allies, etc.).  I suspect that your concern about rushing is overblown or actually translates into, "I don't want to get ass-raped by the pros."  (That's very understandable--set up games with titles like "New Players Only".)

June 20, 2012 3:55:02 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Seleuceia,
Dirty isn't a troll...hell, if Dirty qualifies as a troll, then why the hell aren't Boshimi and I on there?  Why isn't every modder (other than maybe Goa) not on the troll list?

Some people believe that:

Troll = Anyone who disagrees with me.

June 20, 2012 3:58:01 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

And when you want a thread about the AI, forget it.  It must instead be derailed into an advertisement for multiplayer while at the same time insulting anyone who dares derive enjoyment from the single player.

Next time someone posts a thread about for example a Vasari unit or ability not working as they believe is intended, Sanchez should just come by and tell them the solution is to play Advent.  It's just as relevant and helpful to those actually interested in the problem being discussed.

You're a troll because you've done nothing but disrupt and distract this thread from the author's original intent and many others on the subject while contributing nothing substantive to the matter at hand.

June 20, 2012 5:27:54 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I dont play MP often because it cannot be paused when I need it, and saved and reloaded when I want it. I like long epic 4X games, not fast C&C style games, thats what C&C is for. There is just no way for me to play 10 hour game with hundreds of planets over MP.

Playing SP or MP is different, and both have its upsides and downsides. 

Besides, I wont be so sure the AI wont beat a human player one day. Computers are already better at chess than human players. If Sins goes multicore, there will be significant room for improvement for the AI.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/750/750725p1.html

June 20, 2012 1:56:47 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting DirtySanchezz,

That depends on the nature of AI and the nature of human opponents in much the same way that a bicycle and a car have a certain metaphysical nature.  Basically, if you want opponents capable of strategic thought and of not doing silly things such as suiciding on starbases and titans and mismanaging capital ships, titans, and resources--you're just not going to find that in AI  The AI will always be inferior in some sort of a way in that department.  It is not part of the AI's nature to be capable of strategic thought.

If you want that, you need real human opponents which is why we have online multiplayer.  In contrast, if you want to play against an opponent with a severe cognitive disability, then play against the AI.  Basically, when you play against the AI, your opponent is mentally retarded.

Repelling rushes and turning failed rush attempts against your opponent is part of the strategy.  There might also eventually be custom maps that prevent rushing (you start near all your allies, etc.).  I suspect that your concern about rushing is overblown or actually translates into, "I don't want to get ass-raped by the pros."  (That's very understandable--set up games with titles like "New Players Only".)

Stop using big words you don't know the meaning to in order to make your point seem more enlightened.  There is nothing "metaphysical" about the nature of a car and a bicycle in this context...It was just your lame-ass attempt to justify hijacking this thread.  No where did the OP state he wanted/expected an AI with strategic thought, and rightly so.  His complaint is that the Hard AI seems "weaker" than in the previous edition of this same game implying that something was changed...and not for the better, hence his post. 

Us lowly SP players want a "mentally retarded" AI, but we still want it to be a challenge and, most importantly, fun.  We play the AI expecting to win, because winning is fun.  But we still want a good fight.  If I want to check the size of my e-penor then I will go on MP.  SP offers a quick fix...no need to setup a game, wait for players, etc...In that way its like pr0n...a way to get that quick release instead of having to jump through hoops to get the wife/girlfriend/girl-next-door/random chick at the bar "in the sack"... 

Quoting DirtySanchezz,

Some people believe that:

Troll = Anyone who disagrees with me.

Troll = Anyone "I" disagree with...get it right...also people that use the word "metaphysical" in an argument outside of philosophical discussion...

Edit: and no, there is nothing philosophical about this discussion...

June 20, 2012 6:47:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting DirtySanchezz,
If you're unhappy with the quality of the AI, have you considered playing it in online multiplayer against human opponents (who are capable of actual strategic thought)?

I hadn't heard of that before. How does it work?

June 20, 2012 7:33:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I don't play MP either, I really don't have enough time to go and complete really long games, furthermore I just like to build my empire slowly and research a lot before going on the offensive.
I just got rebellion and completed two games so far.
The first one was against normal and I steamrolled them as expected, even though I hadn't played for over a year.
But my second game was against hard AIs, and I steamrolled them just as bad.
And as you say, not ONCE was I attacked. I had plenty of planets poorly defended by barely 2 hangar and 2 beam platforms too, but not once did the AI make a move against me. It merely reacted and defended its positions as I marched through the galaxy with my entire army, not bothering leaving anything home since I knew they wouldn't attack =/.
I'll try a game against unfair later, hope it'll be better!

June 21, 2012 4:11:13 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

This seems to be a bug.

June 21, 2012 8:06:45 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yeah....a lot better, I'm actually getting stomped.
I am ad at the game, I never played a lot and had only played the original game and just picked it back up.
But the enemy just outclassed me from the very beginning, I managed to hold off while defending with a few defensive structures, but now that their titan is out, it just steamrolled my entire army by itself =/, and I haven't even started researching titans myself, nor do I have even close to the money needed to buy one!
I guess I can do better, but there seems to be such a huge gap between hard and unfair =/.

June 21, 2012 8:44:28 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Do you use hard aggressor?

There are a few types of AI. Researcher, turtler, etc. Aggressor allows for a full out battle game

June 21, 2012 8:49:17 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

@ MadBoris.

I only started this game a few days ago and like you I am also a recreation/Immersion player. I just enjoy building a empire and have some nice fights or tricky treaties.

Hard AI is indeed abit lack lusting when you do a 1v1 or 2v2. though I did notice that when you do an FFA or a 2vFFA then HARD AI seems to become smarter with attacking, not much but better then a small map.

since I am a new player I still play against normal enemies mostly (hard enough for me atm >.<, espeically if you are surrounded by 3 factions that want you dead)

What i think is a shame is the attacking patterns are to linear, after a while with the research to see enemy attacks incoming it becomes to easy to counter the attacks.

I still think most AI's rush the "super weapns" too much, which is a shame. I think exploration and Diplomatic part could use some fleshing out so that would also become a viable option.

Hell it would even be fun as a TEC player myself to become the armsdealer of the entire galaxy and supply to every race so they can kill eachother

June 21, 2012 11:04:49 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Mazuo,
And when you want a thread about the AI, forget it.  It must instead be derailed into an advertisement for multiplayer while at the same time insulting anyone who dares derive enjoyment from the single player.

Next time someone posts a thread about for example a Vasari unit or ability not working as they believe is intended, Sanchez should just come by and tell them the solution is to play Advent.  It's just as relevant and helpful to those actually interested in the problem being discussed.

You're a troll because you've done nothing but disrupt and distract this thread from the author's original intent and many others on the subject while contributing nothing substantive to the matter at hand.

I am a shameless cheerleader for online multiplayer.  I don't really mean to insult people who enjoy playing it in single player, but I do like to point out that they are missing out on a great strategy game.

Quoting ShotmanMaslo,
I dont play MP often because it cannot be paused when I need it, and saved and reloaded when I want it. I like long epic 4X games, not fast C&C style games, thats what C&C is for. There is just no way for me to play 10 hour game with hundreds of planets over MP.

I think that length of game play is one of the common misconceptions many people have about online multiplayer.  It really only takes around 1.25-1.5 hours to play a PvP game.  It's easy to see how people might think that it would take forever when they are used to playing FFA against 9 AI, but in a team-based PvP game (mostly played on single star maps) you only have to contribute enough to your team's war effort to take down one opponent, not 9.  Also, it usually isn't necessary to conquer every planet because the players on the losing team tend to quit so that a new (and once again competitive) game can be started rather than waste time in a game where the outcome has already been decided and is nothing more than a mop-up job for the winning team.

June 21, 2012 11:23:18 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting AceXMachine,
Stop using big words you don't know the meaning to in order to make your point seem more enlightened.  There is nothing "metaphysical" about the nature of a car and a bicycle in this context...It was just your lame-ass attempt to justify hijacking this thread.

Are you certain that you know the meanings of those words well-enough to argue that I don't?  Why do you think that cars and bicycles, properly defined, do not have certain metaphysical natures and identities?  Read the book Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology to learn more about concept formation and how abstract concepts (such as "car" and "bicycle") relate to physical entities.

No where did the OP state he wanted/expected an AI with strategic thought, and rightly so.  His complaint is that the Hard AI seems "weaker" than in the previous edition of this same game implying that something was changed...and not for the better, hence his post. 

Us lowly SP players want a "mentally retarded" AI, but we still want it to be a challenge and, most importantly, fun.  We play the AI expecting to win, because winning is fun.  But we still want a good fight.  If I want to check the size of my e-penor then I will go on MP.  SP offers a quick fix...no need to setup a game, wait for players, etc...In that way its like pr0n...a way to get that quick release instead of having to jump through hoops to get the wife/girlfriend/girl-next-door/random chick at the bar "in the sack"...

Thank you for your candor.

I disagree with you that SP players really want a mentally retarded AI.  I suspect that what they really want is an AI that is capable of strategic thought and that has a skill level at or below their own skill level--a challenging but not overwhelming opponent that still exercises your strategic thought.  If someone is unhappy about the Hard-level AI, they could just move up to the Unfair-level AI; problem solved.  However, people don't want a merely more muscular but brain-dead opponent.  What they really want is an opponent that can engage in strategy and the Sins AI (which is not bad as far as AI goes) can only do so much in that regard.

Edit: and no, there is nothing philosophical about this discussion...

Philosophy encompasses every element of human life in some sort of a way.  My point in using the word metaphysical was to help you attempt to understand the concept that existents possess identity.  In this case, that AI is AI and that it necessarily lacks certain properties offered by human players.

June 21, 2012 3:13:55 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I just started a new game with all Hard AI aggressors and it seemed ok in the beginning, but as soon as people started to build starbases, all the Ais just mass units near one of their enemies planet and don't move =/. I'm playing 2v2v2v2 so I can see my ally just massing units and not doing anything.
My first game had many stars, and not once did an enemy even come to my star except with scouts.
This time around, there was some action in the beginning, I took control of my choke and actually had to help my vasari ally because he was getting owned, but now that he has the choke, he just sits there, and I'm not getting attacked either since I have starbases at my chokes.
I know my enemy has a massive fleet right next to me, but even when I attack his bases and whatnot he doesn't make a move against me =/.

EDIT:
Whoa! 2 minutes after posting this he finally made a move against a starbased planet! a Starbase with 5 upgrades too
Guess they just really want to make sure they can win, uh.

June 21, 2012 3:58:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting DirtySanchezz,

I am a shameless cheerleader for online multiplayer.  I don't really mean to insult people who enjoy playing it in single player, but I do like to point out that they are missing out on a great strategy game.

Thank you for not really meaning to insult us ignorant SP folk...by all means, continue to hijack our threads on SP/AI to cheer for MP...we like that much more than your attempts to indirectly insult us. /s

Quoting DirtySanchezz,

I think that length of game play is one of the common misconceptions many people have about online multiplayer.  It really only takes around 1.25-1.5 hours to play a PvP game.  It's easy to see how people might think that it would take forever when they are used to playing FFA against 9 AI, but in a team-based PvP game (mostly played on single star maps) you only have to contribute enough to your team's war effort to take down one opponent, not 9.  Also, it usually isn't necessary to conquer every planet because the players on the losing team tend to quit so that a new (and once again competitive) game can be started rather than waste time in a game where the outcome has already been decided and is nothing more than a mop-up job for the winning team.

Good job on missing the point YET AGAIN.  In SP, we can play a long game in increments of our choosing, whether that is 15 minutes or 1.5 hours, at a time.  I like to play games with multiple stars, normally 3-5 AI opponents, with as many planets as my gaming rig can handle into the late game.  in these games, 3 hours won't even get you to the half way point with research and other settings set to normal or low.  In addition, we don't have to worry about the time constraints of another person, even if we are lucky enough to have a close friend to play with (which most of us don't have that luxury).  You're points are valid for MP but also obvious and no secret to anyone and completely miss the afore mentioned point to the benefit of SP and therefore the need for as competent an AI as possible.

Quoting DirtySanchezz,

Are you certain that you know the meanings of those words well-enough to argue that I don't?  Why do you think that cars and bicycles, properly defined, do not have certain metaphysical natures and identities?  Read the book Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology to learn more about concept formation and how abstract concepts (such as "car" and "bicycle") relate to physical entities.

You will note that I said there was nothing metaphysical about your lil metaphor "in this context".  The fact is that you hijacked this thread, by your own admission of being an "MP cheerleader", not to teach us any abstract correlation to this entities (which was never requested, i might add) but to champion your singular and opposing view to the OP.  Hence your label as troll. 

Quoting DirtySanchezz,

Thank you for your candor.

I disagree with you that SP players really want a mentally retarded AI.  I suspect that what they really want is an AI that is capable of strategic thought and that has a skill level at or below their own skill level--a challenging but not overwhelming opponent that still exercises your strategic thought.  If someone is unhappy about the Hard-level AI, they could just move up to the Unfair-level AI; problem solved.  However, people don't want a merely more muscular but brain-dead opponent.  What they really want is an opponent that can engage in strategy and the Sins AI (which is not bad as far as AI goes) can only do so much in that regard.

Philosophy encompasses every element of human life in some sort of a way.  My point in using the word metaphysical was to help you attempt to understand the concept that existents possess identity.  In this case, that AI is AI and that it necessarily lacks certain properties offered by human players.

Do I really need to explain that my use of the term "mentally retarded", a term you used, was sarcastic given the fact that I quoted it?  Especially since i immediately stated afterwards that we wanted a reasonably challenging AI with no realistic chance of beating us (depending on the level of AI chosen)?  It is so obvious that you barely skimmed, if read the OP at all, considering he specifically stated (and I agree to a certain point) that he dislikes playing against "cheating AIs".  Of course we can bump it up from hard to unfair...that too is painfully obvious and we didn't need your enlightened mind to point that out for us.  He also mentioned the AI as being more challenging in Diplomacy than is apparent in Rebellion.  The fact is that the AI can be tweaked so that the "hard" AI will attack more often than it currently does to make it...wait for it...HARDer(I know you're getting a chubby waiting to reply to this....just calm down). 

You are right of course, philosophy can be applied to all facets of life and we would probably have less problems if people employed it more than they do currently.  However, it is facetious and borders on narcissism to use your "desk chair philosophy" as a segway to hijack someone elses idea, namely this thread.  Much less the inherent issues with applying philosophy to a game, that among other things, includes fictional races, story, physics, cosmology, technology etc.  We know that you love MP, by all means, go play a game right now...beat your head over it for all we care.  What we do ask of you is to realize we don't give a sh*t.  We want to bring attention to a deficit on the tactical strategy of the AI, the "hard" AI in this discussion.  We do not want or care to know that "MP is da shiz, my God, you must check it out". 

Your points are valid, but they digress from the originator of this post.  At a bare minimum this is rude if not completely troll-worthy.

June 23, 2012 5:48:16 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting AceXMachine,
He also mentioned the AI as being more challenging in Diplomacy than is apparent in Rebellion.

Consequently, the AI was more challenging in the original Sins than in Entrenchment and Diplomacy simply because it could not possibly suicide itself on starbases nor waste money on building its own ineffective starbases.  It makes sense that the AI would be less challenging in Rebellion because it now has to deal with titans and runs the risk of mismanaging its own titans.

Quoting AceXMachine,
Your points are valid, but they digress from the originator of this post. At a bare minimum this is rude if not completely troll-worthy.

I stand by my contention that my response was perfectly appropriate.  The original poster essentially complained about the properties of his bicycle and seems to profess a desire to enjoy the qualities possessed by an automobile, but instead of considering the possibility of purchasing a readily available automobile he yearns for a better bicycle.  My suggestion to consider online multiplayer is not meant to be mean or insulting, but rather to introduce people who have those types of concerns to the possibility of playing it against human opponents.

June 23, 2012 2:01:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Your contention is nullified.  You literally turned a thread titled "What happened to the hard agressive AI" into "AI is retarded/don't use the AI, play MP".  You are standing by something alright, but it is your own portrait in a mirror.  So happy are you with your lil "bicycle vs car"...philosophy...that you are blinded to its near irrelevance and the inappropriateness of it in this thread.  I'm done.  Trolls can't be reasoned with even when you beat them over the head with it. 

June 23, 2012 8:03:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting AceXMachine,
I'm done.  Trolls can't be reasoned with even when you beat them over the head with it. 

trolls can not be beaten in the regular way. anyone who has played dungeons & dragons will remember that trolls have profound regenerative capabilities and will continue to be trolls no matter how hard you hit them. as i recall, when faced with a troll one needs to kill it with acid or fire. try that.

June 23, 2012 11:31:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

huh u kidding me right?I always played with 5 hard agressor AIs in Entanglement every new patch to test some new stuffs and last time i'm going turtle the freaking AIs build 2 Novaliths and use it damn straight to my planet which has a Titan under construction which i have to shield all my planets and research planetary shield to max ( geez i almost forgotten that research exist cuz AIs never build and fire superweapons till now).However I noticed that AIs always fire Novalith at the 1st or 2nd of target's frontier planets. Now if only i managed to see vasari AIs use their kostura and hook jump to my original capital planet and backdoor my defenses that would be awesome!

now i'm currently testing if the hard agressor AIs attacking pattern still favors choke points if thats the op's QQ. btw if u wanna REAL aggressive AIs why dun u use the old trick?skip 2-3 planets and bring 1 SB constructor and 1 caps as bait and well its always fun and works

June 24, 2012 12:05:09 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If the Hard Aggressive AI is too easy then bump up to unfair random. If unfair random is too easy then bump it up to Unfair Aggressive.

"MadBoris this entire topic sounds like your confession that your too chicken and afraid to play unfair AIs so you want to stay at hard and for it to behave the way it always has."

Showing interest for below unfair ai's invites vultures like Dirty and others to feed off your weak soul.

June 25, 2012 10:53:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

this AI is seriously BROKEN! i just got absolutely destroyed by an easy fortifier AI, but the hard AI only attacked you once? the easy hit my planet after 5 minutes with 30 frigates supported by 3 capital ships... i had a decent fleet but the enemy tech levels were so high i couldn't even make a dent...

btw: i've played this game for over 2 and a half years, so please no comments about skill level. i know the game pretty well and have never had this happen before downloading rebellion...

June 25, 2012 11:20:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting W1SE_9UY,
this AI is seriously BROKEN! i just got absolutely destroyed by an easy fortifier AI, but the hard AI only attacked you once? the easy hit my planet after 5 minutes with 30 frigates supported by 3 capital ships... i had a decent fleet but the enemy tech levels were so high i couldn't even make a dent...

btw: i've played this game for over 2 and a half years, so please no comments about skill level. i know the game pretty well and have never had this happen before downloading rebellion...
Well you are the first I hear complain about not being able to beat an Easy AI. If you have played this game for two and a half years you must have bumped your head pretty hard. No offense of course.

June 26, 2012 8:43:07 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The AI -only- (by saying only, i mean only) attacks me, if I am retreating all ships from the front planet. And he instantly attacks then. Without scouting. That applies to any difficulty.

The AI ability of microing ships in combat is extremely inferior compared with those of humans. That making 1v2 fleet fights extremely easy.

Also numbers are the important point of AI's "to fight or not to fight?" - research, ship abilities etc. are nearly totally overlooked.

And actually it is way easier to play 1v3 hards than 1v1 cruel or vicious...

June 30, 2012 6:38:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

There might actually be a problem specifically with the hard AI.

I have played a few games vs the hard AI as i thought that was the most difficult AI available without giving it money cheats but it was a complete pushover.

Unfair AI which is one level up is far more potent. I played a game with my friend vs 2 unfair AI's and after an hour of nothingness one came out of nowhere and absolutely annihilated him, i dont know if anyone else ever saw that babylon 5 movie where the humans make a final stand at earth with all their lousy ships vs the minbari but it was just like that because all he had left was his capitol planet and 60~ frigates, mines, starbase. He lost, i managed to hold my empire though thanks to the ankylon titan but it was a 2v1 i could not win, stalemate at best. Unfair AI is much more potent.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001250   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+