Stardock

Faction Flip Switch?

By on June 16, 2012 8:14:56 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

HouseRalan

Join Date 03/2008
+60

RESEARCHSUBJECT_DECLAREFACTION_PHASELOYALIST
RESEARCHSUBJECT_DECLAREFACTION_PHASEREBEL
RESEARCHSUBJECT_DECLAREFACTION_PSILOYALIST
RESEARCHSUBJECT_DECLAREFACTION_PSIREBEL
RESEARCHSUBJECT_DECLAREFACTION_TECHLOYALIST
RESEARCHSUBJECT_DECLAREFACTION_TECHREBEL

researchBoolModifiers 1
researchModifier
   modifierType "SetFaction"
   factionNameID "IDS_PLAYERFACTIONNAME_LOYALIST"

Can this be used so that player does not have to start as rebel or loyalist, but can do so at mid-game or is this just part of the player selection area?

Still hoping there is a way for there to be two research switches.  "A" enables all loyalist and disables "B".  "B" enables all rebel and disables "A".

4 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 16, 2012 8:33:26 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Originally, that was the plan--it may be that is a remnant as I don't know if it's part of the exe but at one time they did have factions begin that way.

I think there may have been some issues with it so it may be broken now.

June 16, 2012 10:13:35 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

IIRC, I think I heard someone (Goa maybe?) talking about how it worked in .96, so I'd assume if it did then, it still would.

Idk..

June 16, 2012 1:13:28 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

This is how declare faction works...

The "Declare" technology sets your faction ID...in theory, you could have as many of these as you want...

Technologies can be set to have a certain faction ID as a prereq...so, the "Declare as Rebel" and "Declare as Loyalist" techs would need to require a neutral faction ID, so once you researched a declare tech (and therefore changed your ID away from neutral) you could not research the other declare tech...

Then, "Loyalist" techs would require the loyalist faction ID (and could only be researched after you got the loyalist declare technology)...

In general, this system is inferior to what we have in regards to Loyalists and Rebels...because the declare faction would require all Loyalist and rebel techs to be in the tech tree (including titan prototypes), the techs trees would look a mess...having separate player files is much cleaner...

However, because declare faction requires a technology to be researched, it allows decisions to be made in-game...there are lots of other things you can do with this...you could set it up so that there are declare "paths" where the player could make choices throughout the game, specializing their faction for whatever that particular game requires...expect to see this used in upcoming mods (hint hint)....

June 16, 2012 1:48:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You can always add new tabs for each sub faction reducing the clutter caused by this.

That ways you have your core tech tree tabs, then one for each sub factions unique things.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000093   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+