Stardock

Mouse not bound to game window

By on June 12, 2012 6:51:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

goodgimp

Join Date 12/2003
+20

Was hoping this would be fixed before the game release... the mouse is still not bound to the game window on multi-monitor setups. There any chance that a patch can address this?

20 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 12, 2012 7:14:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well that sucks. This issue has been around for quite a while now.

June 12, 2012 8:23:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hey, there is a hotfix for this: Use one monitor. Doh.

June 12, 2012 10:00:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Teun-A-Roonius,
Hey, there is a hotfix for this: Use one monitor. Doh.

Nice hotfix, bro

June 12, 2012 11:16:47 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Broviet,

Quoting Teun-A-Roonius, reply 2Hey, there is a hotfix for this: Use one monitor. Doh.

Nice hotfix, bro

Maybe  (if needed per resolution and screen lay out) mod the UI so all the buttons , info, and things you need to click on. could be in your main monitor, and the other 2, 1, what have you, could sadly just be used as viewing screens. it has to look cool though, right?  i would think you could have your HUD buttons and planet menu off main screen if you want to just use hot keys. cant click on the other screens but just move mouse to main screen, adjust viewing angle, and zoom in or out. its an extra step, but you would get the secondary monitors.

creating a standardized UI Mod for multiple monitors seems, daunting. everyone's set up is different.  3 screens , 2 screens left, 2 screens right, resolution layout.  something your going to have to personalize the screen and menus. please share though. goose and gander type of thing

June 13, 2012 12:44:34 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yes, this is frustrating.  I dont recall this being in Diplomacy or the other versions.

Is there a fix for this?

This is huge for me.  Close to a deal breaker....

June 13, 2012 12:54:50 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

uuugh I can't believe this is still an issue, could we please get this fixed when the game is running in fullscreen

June 13, 2012 1:00:42 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Just checked diplomacy, cursor stays in the window there.  This is something that Rebellion has broken.

I dont recall this in the beta, though I only experimented with the first stages of the beta...

--EDIT-- How odd...I've been able to get the window to hold the mouse cursor inside the game, but only intermittently.

I cant reproduce it consistently, but I've done it twice by pressing escape to bring up a window and pause the game, then windows keying out of the game to the desktop, then clicking back on the game. 

I'm missing a step because it's not consistent.

Either way, though, this is pretty sad considering the polish on the game....

June 13, 2012 8:49:40 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I use a program called MouseClip for games that do this.  You can set the window size of your area and set up a hotkey to enable and disable as well as have multiple profiles for games and what not.

June 13, 2012 1:54:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks Trooper.  Is that pay ware?

I dont want to have to pay MORE for Sins than I already have, and I've an aversion to having to get another program to fix something that wasnt an issue in the Diplomacy.

I'd sure like to hear Blair or Frogboy chime in on this issue.  Is this slated to be fixed?

After trying out Rebellion, this is indeed a deal breaker for me.  If I'd known this wouldnt be fixed in the release, I wouldnt have preordered....

June 13, 2012 2:43:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

This is causing me real problems, I can't believe the game was released with this glaring bug.

June 13, 2012 2:57:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

This isn't actually a bug. This is normal behavior for a Windows application. By default the mouse does not get clipped within the active window. The developer has to implement this manually. It's not very complicated to do, but it is a personal preference issue. I prefer not to have clipping except in the situation where I am holding down a mouse button. In SOASE the cursor continues to render and move as you hold down a button. In my game development work I tend to prefer to lock the cursor in position and hide it when you hold down a button to move your display. Again, personal preferences. Each of you seems to prefer clipping at all times. Again, not a bug, but rather a capability that is not implemented the way you would prefer. There is nothing stopping the developers from implementing an options toggle other than time investment.

June 13, 2012 9:02:56 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Other RTSs do not have this problem.

In fact, of the RTSs that I've played, I dont ever recall this being an issue (AOE 3, AOK, RoN, SC2, as well as vanilla SinS, Entrenchment, and Diplomacy...being just a few recent RTSs).

EDIT--Also, if it wasnt a bug, then it wouldnt be sporadic.  4 times I've escape-windows keyed out to the desktop and then back in, which locked my cursor to the monitor window.  It's not consistent, which is annoying, as at least then we'd have a workaround.

It's a bug.

Perhaps one of the devs will make a comment?  Blair?  Frogboy?

June 13, 2012 10:09:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Are you using the game cursor or the system cursor? I always play with the system cursor. Rebellion isn't an FPS. I don't see why it's so critical to clip the cursor to the game window. I would fully support a toggle option though. Empire at War, Sim City 4, Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, and numerous other titles also do not clip the cursor. Having to alt+tab in the case of Starcraft 2 and Rise of Nations was rather annoying whereas in Counter Strike Source and Deus Ex HR it is desirable behavior. Again, personal preference.

It would not surprise me if they tried to implement clipping and it doesn't exactly work. Microsoft's solution needs a lot of tweaking to get working right.

June 14, 2012 6:54:42 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Fact is some players use edge scrolling to play the game and if they have dual monitors then you can not do this at all.

There is not one reason why being able to move your mouse out of the actual game and onto another monitor in full screen mode is logical.  If you try to press your mouse button on your other monitos it minimises the game, this is why we have windowed mode which is fine.

This is clearly a bug and needs fixing asap.

June 14, 2012 7:48:02 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

This is REALLY irritating. This basically means I cant edge scroll to the left

June 14, 2012 8:03:59 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I use MurGeeMon reduced functionality freeware 5bucks for the full version, however I do not like useing mouseclip programs because it causes me edge lag that I don't get with native curser clipping.

June 14, 2012 8:11:31 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You consider this a problem? Well then here's a tip for you that not only solves it for you but that makes you more productive in the game:

I don't remember if i changed it myself before or if Rebellion added this by default, but WASD works like the arrow keys for me. I also play in a a window, but turning off edge-scrolling and only using WASD actually is actually better for me as i can move the mouse to any other application (which happens often) without having to AltTab while at the same time control the game-camera faster than when i only used the mouse. Using the mouse for edge-scrolling is kind of old and inefficient. It's slow to get you where you want and takes up a lot of time (when you combine the thousands of times you do this during one match) that you could have used commanding something. Some games have the better function where you hold down the right mouse button and pan the camera by moving the mouse.

If they changed it so the mouse-pointer is stuck in the window without adding an option to turn that off, i'm sure there would be at least as many complaints about it in here. I think this is the first time i see a thread about anyone disliking the fact that the mouse isn't trapped in the game.

June 14, 2012 9:59:05 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks for the feedback guys, this is something we are looking to fix in a future update.

June 17, 2012 2:34:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hopefully it's soon.  I'd really like to play, but this bug has broken rebellion for me.

June 17, 2012 7:54:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

as a workaround for now, i tend to use cursor lock. works quite well.

http://www.snakebytestudios.com/projects/apps/cursor-lock/

although as mentioned in the other thread, this needs to be fixed.

btw: is there an official bugtracker for sins?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001796   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+