Stardock

Pirates cannot die due to bombardment?

By on June 12, 2012 6:39:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

BFroberg

Join Date 12/2008
+4

I think it may be a good idea, to upgrade the pirate bases so that they cannot be lost due to bombardment of superweapons, i.e. the nova's.

As it stands, in a game with mostly TEC, the pirates die out almost immediately - I'm sure they're supposed to be a factor in the game, not killable just by remote. If you want to end the reign of the pirates, you must attack them directly I say!

19 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 12, 2012 8:32:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sound idea! make them impossible to target automatically so they wouldn't waste shots from the superweapons, but still able to be hit manually for when you want to storm the fort!

June 13, 2012 3:00:47 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

That'd just give the human player an advantage.

Maybe tie the ability in with their ships. Once their ships in the gravity well are destroyed, the planet can be bombed.

June 13, 2012 7:43:12 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

How about a starbase solution?  Give the pirates an 8-point starbase with an auxiliary government compartment?  That way you could still bomb them to pieces, but you'd have to invade them if you wanted them to perish.

June 13, 2012 11:10:22 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting strayth,
How about a starbase solution?  Give the pirates an 8-point starbase with an auxiliary government compartment?  That way you could still bomb them to pieces, but you'd have to invade them if you wanted them to perish.

That's actually a sound idea, because I would like the pirates to stick around abit longer. they make the midgame a bit more interresting.

July 15, 2012 5:19:27 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting strayth,

A late game pirate starbase would be.. well.. christ.

I'm good with that idea, so long as it doesn't move about.

July 15, 2012 9:57:02 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If this is done it must be so the pirate bases cannot be targeted by super weapons otherwise the AI will sit and bomb the pirate base continually and since it wont be lost the AI will never use its SW's on the human player.

Or make it so they AI will not target the pirate base at all with SW's.

July 15, 2012 12:46:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

General inability I think.. Otherwise you just give the human player an advantage.

July 15, 2012 12:50:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm for an NPC starbase similar, but better than what we've got in 7DS.

July 15, 2012 3:11:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Pirates are already immune to death by bombardment because pirates stay bombed all the time. Yarr!

July 15, 2012 6:10:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Might as well give them a titan while you're at it.

July 16, 2012 6:50:41 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Just take away the ability to bombard the pirate base it is a base after all not a planet.

July 16, 2012 9:59:49 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting BellGoRiiing,
Might as well give them a titan while you're at it.

Not really the same thing. Using the pirates can be an effective strategy in multi-star systems.

July 16, 2012 11:01:39 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The easiest solution would probably be to give the pirates a starbase with the upgrade that prevents loss due to bombardment. (Easy being relative, as it would be quite a bit of work for me.) 

July 16, 2012 11:53:23 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Yarlen,
The easiest solution would probably be to give the pirates a starbase with the upgrade that prevents loss due to bombardment. (Easy being relative, as it would be quite a bit of work for me.) 

I for one wouldn't mind. Good idea strayth.

July 16, 2012 12:46:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

C'mon Yarlen, you didn't need that time anyway!

July 16, 2012 1:04:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

This would be a good idea - as long as you prevent the AI from auto targeting and wasting shots.  I like the pirate staying in the game late - and they still need cap ships like on the mods.  

July 16, 2012 1:39:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting BFroberg,

Quoting BellGoRiiing, reply 11Might as well give them a titan while you're at it.

Not really the same thing. Using the pirates can be an effective strategy in multi-star systems.
Yeah I know, was joking around really.

So basically, this thread is really complaining about one other thing...THOSE STUPID CANNONS! T_T

July 18, 2012 8:00:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Yarlen,

Why not give the "Pirate Starbase" an innate anti-bombardment ability?

I looked at the relevant entity file and it seemed to have 2 levels. I assume the first level is to make the upgrade available and the second activates it. If

upgradeBoolPropertyCount 2
    upgradeBoolProperty "CanPreventEnemyColonize"
    upgradeBoolProperty "CanPreventPlanetLossByBombing"

is moved from level 2 to 1, would the ability become innate?

July 19, 2012 4:40:09 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

On second thought, why not give the anti-bombardment ability to the pirate missile turret?

EDIT: Grammar

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000469   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+