Stardock.com ‚Äč

SINS REBELLION. Will it be MULTI-CORE Support ?

By on June 11, 2012 10:22:33 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Boobzor

Join Date 01/2011

Hello, i had some issues running previous version of sins of solar empire, i am the author of some well-known laggy videos posted on Youtube. Massive overcrowded laggy battles with my CPU barely running to 13% usage, and no it was not caused by graphic cards, just the CPU idling when it should not.

Sorry if i am straight

Does anyone know if Sins Rebellion has a new engine / platform and will be multi-core CPU support, or is it just a modified Sins based on the same engine.

20 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 11, 2012 10:28:57 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Just an expansion. No real engine change.

Don't expect it till Sins 2

June 11, 2012 10:43:52 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

just a modified Sins based on the same engine.

June 11, 2012 10:44:17 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

you have ruined my day. But.... it's just one day, i can handle it.

Damn, no FAT Battles, i will stick to 1v1 and guess i will wait for a discount as i already own Sins: Trinity.

Thanks for your fast reply

June 11, 2012 10:46:59 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Boobzor,
i will wait for a discount as i already own Sins: Trinity.

You can get a discount because you already own Trinity.

http://www.sinsofasolarempire.com/store

June 11, 2012 5:00:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It is still CPU bound but their were a number of major optimizations so it should run better than any previous version of Sins.

June 12, 2012 7:43:38 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Indeed, last patchs have done so well to trinity. Altho, the 3v3 battles with Nightmare IAs on some deadend special maps are still not possible im afraid.

That was the way i liked it

Maybe we only need a tool or software that emulates all 8 CPU cores into one (Virtual Machine softwares excluded). I still pray for that, i don't want to launch that topic again, it has been debated many times already, But i was just wondering about the result if i add 2 or 3 Titans in this video.

June 12, 2012 7:56:57 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Boobzor,
Maybe we only need a tool or software that emulates all 8 CPU cores into one (Virtual Machine softwares excluded). I still pray for that, i don't want to launch that topic again, it has been debated many times already, But i was just wondering about the result if i add 2 or 3 Titans in this video.

It wouldn't work in this case. The problem is that languages like C++ can't be easily broken apart to execute functions out of order or in parallel, due to potential side effects. Parallelism has to be explicitly added at safe spots in order to have things still work. Just trying to have the CPU scheduler do it on the fly is going to ask for trouble.

Now if it was written in Haskell on the other hand...

June 12, 2012 8:43:11 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Tridus,

It wouldn't work in this case. The problem is that languages like C++ can't be easily broken apart to execute functions out of order or in parallel, due to potential side effects. Parallelism has to be explicitly added at safe spots in order to have things still work. Just trying to have the CPU scheduler do it on the fly is going to ask for trouble.

Now if it was written in Haskell on the other hand...

Hmmm, Okay i guess....

Well we need real fat optimizations then like something that ignores Fighters/Bombers because they are just toooo many.. and Debris and more stuffs so we can enjoy smooth epic battles. Im willing to play it Ultra low details as long as its smooth

I dont know if the Core i7 Extreme Edition can run Sins better, Probably. Ive got a decent CPU already, the old top i7 875K (on P55). It's watercooled so i can get mad on the OC, Set to 4ghz (just for Sins), max i can before the system is unstable.

And well, it doenst change much, past a certain ammount of units, the game gets slower and slower to slow as hell then i ragequit most of the time and most of other times i know i can start mass producing units when the game is getting laggy (means the CPU has already something fat to offer) (i called it Sixth sense cheat )

My last ragequit was Right click, Uninstall   It's not the first time though heh. and btw apologize for the Geek styled reply . You guys just had to know i dont run this on a 486 DX2 66.

June 12, 2012 10:27:22 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Keep in mind when you watch videos online that using FRAPS really is system intensive.

June 12, 2012 10:49:35 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

the framerate is like that without FRAPS too, FRAPS writes to the SSD drive and Sins is running from other harddrive for fewer disturbances, Some major games like BF3 gets a huge drop in the framerate yes, impossible to record @ 60 fps. but i can record many games without any lags. With Sins, i have 6 inactive cores so i think FRAPS isnt a big deal.

Sorry but I wouldnt be lying about that, i played this game many hours without any softwares running in background to make sure i have 100% smoothness, the result at best was 1% improvement, but i was taking it.

But maybe that's the map :

https://rapidshare.com/files/975921666/Unbreakable.rar

Too hardcore for the game engine, i agree.

This map needs a restiction in 3v3 massive battles (No Fighters, No Carriers, All Capitals drone bay 0, Drone hangar forbidden). Gun Only mode, i dont know, something like that .

June 12, 2012 11:59:57 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

On this map you can see these Volcanos planets suffering massive attacks from IA Nightmares as they are the only way, the entrance to your hive pretty much. and gl if u didnt prod enough ships to survive this, he pushes with allies and the planet area is empty within a minute. Its not rare having 700 Illuminators and a retarded ammount of fighters in there. In a fight, when a team starts to show weakness, it goes down even faster and youve pretty much lost the game if u were all-in. Most of the time you can reconquer and get ready to defend massively when uve built your starbase but omg finally lets warp out, too dangerous.. until you find a way to dominate in researchs and defense then strike hard.

that's how i like it.

But If anyone can reach perfection. It's Stardock, not all the shietty games flooding the market today, i dont play much anymore, but when i start Sins i skip diner... which never happens with any other games.

June 16, 2012 6:21:44 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

This game really need multicore support - playing on huge maps very quickly slow to crawl even with 2600K @4.5Ghz

June 16, 2012 7:16:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Rebell44,
This game really need multicore support - playing on huge maps very quickly slow to crawl even with 2600K @4.5Ghz

Yea, gotta live with that for now, i guess

They are aware of the problem and im sure they will do something otherwise just wait for Sins 2.

June 20, 2012 11:18:27 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

In this video. 15 fps. 5 when zooming too much. And i was being kind because i made it worse. ive managed to reach the maximum units the game can handle. It crashed back to windows desktop, made me laught the first few seconds until i remember that it pisses me off.

This video recording has only a few ships fighting, FAR from being epic, but its already lagging hard. Pointless to go any further i know i can make it running @ 2 fps and then the game crashs.

Sorry, french Windows. http://oi46.tinypic.com/6fpjjd.jpg

14% total CPU usage when the game can't breath. I see its using 4 cores now but why 3 of them are almost idling.

It was 3vs3 battles, Do not try 4v4 unless you're a slides fan.

This outdated computer can run Supreme commander 2, 4vs4, Expert AI, running at 60 fps when there are close to 5000 units on the screen with 10 exlosions per seconds.

Anyway, that is heavily depressing. Dont want to be rude but im pissed off just so u know. RageQuitting, cya.

June 20, 2012 11:45:47 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

why do you have your settings up so high.

June 21, 2012 9:46:20 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Pbhead,

What? these are default settings, and yes i think default is high high high and ship bump low, i havent touched this yet.

But good idea, imma try with everything set to low.

June 21, 2012 10:13:53 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

But first (REBELLION Unbreakable map)

https://rapidshare.com/files/398847261/Unbreakable.zip

Try it yourself and let me know if you know any tricks to run this thing smoothly.

I know this isnt the kind of maps Sins of solar is commonly offering, it's just very different and massively defensive or was it offensive? hmmm either way u can reach the overcrowded status in no time. HF

Player positions

--        --        --

| 5 |    | 4 |     | 6 |

--        --        --

|         /\         |

|       /    \       |

|    /          \    |

O    SUN      O

|    \         /     |

|       \    /       |

|         \/         |

--        --        --

| 2 |    | 1 |     | 3 |

--        --        --

PS: SMALL FLEET SIZE, NO PIRATES (PREFERRABLY) and Capital Victory ON or games can last 15 hours.

July 2, 2012 12:45:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Boobzor,

I dont know if the Core i7 Extreme Edition can run Sins better, Probably.

neg i have it - (stock clocked till i have time to setup watercooling) the cpu usage is barely 25% only 1 thread out of 12 (hyper threading) is almost maxed.... gaming 2 humans vs 2 comps is a nightmare after 20 hours

July 3, 2012 12:38:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting thenitz,

Quoting Boobzor, reply 9
I dont know if the Core i7 Extreme Edition can run Sins better, Probably.

neg i have it - (stock clocked till i have time to setup watercooling) the cpu usage is barely 25% only 1 thread out of 12 (hyper threading) is almost maxed.... gaming 2 humans vs 2 comps is a nightmare after 20 hours

Jeezus christ  12 Cores on the extreme? i didnt even know
Hmm well, FRAPS will not be blamed for nothing

Have you tried this map : https://rapidshare.com/files/398847261/Unbreakable.zip
As said above, Capital Victory ON, no Pirates, Small fleet. Your games will not last 20 hours but you should feel the lag already. But i am really wondering about a 3 vs 3 all human on this map, Would it be playable?.

Quoting Pbhead,

About this..... if i reinstall the game im up for more tests altho i am sure Graphic settings have nothing to do with that. I am no here to prove that the game has a problem, we're at the step we want the problem fixed.

For now i am pretty much stuck into Secret World but i am up for any tests or tips that is gunna smooth up Sins Rebellion because i like it despite its only negative point, CPU handling.

WELP! Need epic button "disable fighters". blaming fighters cause i dont know who else to blame

July 3, 2012 3:17:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Boobzor,
WELP! Need epic button "disable fighters". blaming fighters cause i dont know who else to blame

They are the biggest culprit.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001016   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+