Stardock

Solution to Norton deleting DX gadgets and widgets

By on June 8, 2012 3:58:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

gevansmd

Join Date 12/2008
+21

I can't figure out how to stop Norton from initially deleting the DX programs but I have been able to restore and mark them as safe.

1.  After it deletes the .exe, open the main Norton dialog.

2.  Choose advanced, then history.  

3.  Find the deleted item and click on it.  Then choose restore & options under Details to undelete it and mark it as safe.

8 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 8, 2012 4:30:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

another method would be to get RID of norton as it typically hog too much of the system AND has in the past let a lot of virii through that it knew how to detect.

harpo

June 8, 2012 6:10:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Harpo99999 one, gevansmd zero.  

June 8, 2012 6:54:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yes, bit tricky because of how DesktopX behaves seems it can be picked up as a 'bad egg'.

It would be nice if it didn't get picked up by Norton though - lots of people do use Norton's bloatware.

June 8, 2012 8:11:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

A nice stop-gap but I'd rather not fool with it every time.

June 12, 2012 7:45:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Since at least as far back as NIS 2010, Norton uses much less CPU, most times barely registering in the Task Manager.  Installation, which used to take 20-30 minutes now completes in well under 5 minutes.  It's been a while so I don't remember the exact time it takes to install.

From another thread, Norton isn 't the only AVP that picks up DX.  Kapersky does the same.

June 12, 2012 8:57:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

And Avast.

June 12, 2012 10:02:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Probably one of the BEST ways to decide what AV proggy to use is to go for the one which resolves "FALSE POSITIVES"  the quickest.

All AV proggies will trip over one....sooner or later....it's an unavoidable mistake [on their part] and the onus is on them NOT to impair the functioning of a legitimate program/product...so the faster they fix it the better for all.

Only problem I can recall with Kaspersky was its eagerness to instantly delete my 'Sonique' proggy downlod....as the compression algorythm was clearly a 'worry' for it. - So I switched off Kaspersky and got the download....then later, when I forgot and rebooted it came back on [of course] and INSTANTLY deleted the download..... there's sodding efficiency....

June 12, 2012 10:55:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Norton has gotten a whole lot better in the last few years not a system hog no more,but it is a pain in the butt heaving to restore and mark these gadgets and widgets as safe all the time but i guess its not a bad thing considering when your not focused on what you happen to be doing and it does catch a problem then its all worth it in the end...right?   jus say'n...6 of one half dozen of the other  LOL

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000266   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+