Stardock

Warlock: MotA - Comments

By on June 6, 2012 10:54:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

larienna

Join Date 10/2009
+20

It's not really a good thing to promote competition, here is some comments I found on another site:

The latest game in the popular Majesty series, Warlock: Master of the Arcane introduces turned-based strategy and global conquest to the fantastic world of Ardania. In a time of chaotic upheaval, the player takes the role of a great mage, a warlord vying for ultimate power. Your mission is to build an empire, expand your borders, research new spells and conquer your enemies. Become the ultimate Warlock and rule over all of Ardania!

I just played the demo and was really surprised by it. Anyone disappointed by elemental war of magic should be pretty happy with this one. Basically if you like civ or better master of magic, you're probable gonna like this. The demo was a lot of fun but their is a turn limit, so your not gonna play a full game. I really recommend trying the demo, I've really heard nothing about this before so it's a real pleasant surprise.

I had a chance to try the demo and I was very impressed. The game is not too complex and it's easy to learn. The city development does not demand too much work, which give you the time to enjoy the other parts of the game. ( One of the problem in CIV, MOM and MOO is that 80% of the player's time is placed on city/colony construction).

Besides a few bugs, the first drawback is that magic seems pretty weak. I have have not check the whole spell book, but I am starting to get used to it. Everybody seems to be scared that wizards are too powerful, so they always dwarf them. The second drawback: it's not moddable . Well if you want to mod the game, people will have to hack it like in the good old times. That's a shame because it would have made a wonderful master magic mod.

Considering that the game is pretty cheap (20$), it might still worth the buy.

34 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 6, 2012 11:16:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think they have plans to release some form of modding ability down the line.

I personally think it's an excellent game. For its price, it's a no-brainer.

June 6, 2012 12:57:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I agree with Heavenfall.  I've enjoyed the game quite a bit.  It handles what it does well, and is different enough from FE that I don't see it taking anyone away from it.

June 6, 2012 3:02:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think they have plans to release some form of modding ability down the line.

Cool, that could be interesting. I am not in a hurry, so if they eventually do it, I will be very happy.

June 6, 2012 3:23:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm loving Warlock. Different to FE and is much simpler to get your head around. I've just started doing a Let's Play series on it on YouTube if anyone wants to get a feel for it before buying - but as Heavenfall mentioned, for $20 it is a must-buy.

June 6, 2012 5:24:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's a good game. For $20, it's a great game. Doesn't kill my desire for FE at all though, at the current beta, I prefer FE considerably.

June 7, 2012 12:22:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I love the game.

June 7, 2012 1:09:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I will watch the lets play video

June 7, 2012 1:31:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This game has a much more potential for a MOM MOD especially considering tha:

- There are multiple planes.

- There are no sovereign.

- There are ships.

- There is no tech tree.

Still, there are not

- Heroes and equipment ( But in the original MOM, it was only for artifacts, in elemental it's the complete equipment). But that is something I do not mind losing.

By thinking about it, I would be much more excited to make a MOM mod for Warlock, rather than elemental. The amount of work will be much lower with warlock and I like the new CIV V like features of the game. There is probably something that could be edited right now. Maybe some data files are actually SQLITE database like it was the case in Civilization IV+. Only changing the data will allow me to do a lot of stuff even if no scripting is available.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally, I like features like

- limited number of buildings per city

- fixed time construction

- no worker placement

- on map tactical battles gives a different flavor. It's better in a way that you do not have to pause the game to resolve battle and it is easier to manage 1 unit per hex rahter than 1 stack of unit per hex. So it makes the game much more multiplayer-able while adding a light dose of tactical battle.

June 7, 2012 1:57:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It's also 50% off on Steam right now, so for $10-$12 it's a great buy.

June 7, 2012 3:05:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

"It's also 50% off on Steam right now, so for $10-$12 it's a great buy."

Oh! Really!

then I am seriously considering it.

When you buy a game on steam, it's only valid for 1 computer right?

I'll have to try if the demo works on my netbook, but I really doubt it. Else I'll have to buy it on my girl friend's PC.

June 7, 2012 3:30:39 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting larienna,

When you buy a game on steam, it's only valid for 1 computer right?

I'll have to try if the demo works on my netbook, but I really doubt it. Else I'll have to buy it on my girl friend's PC.

Nope - you can install it where ever you like.  You can only play it on one computer at a time.

Also, the devs have said they will be adding "lords" (ie. heroes) and items in the future since that is what most people have asked for.  I would guess that means DLC, but for the price I paid I'll be happy to throw more money at them.

June 7, 2012 3:51:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You can put it on as many computers as you want and redownload it as often as you need with Steam.  Those kind of restrictions are not Steam related.  So if you buy a Ubisoft game from Steam, it probably won't allow you to do that...cause Ubi are kind harsh about that shit.

June 7, 2012 9:42:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If it's less than $20 it's a good deal, I felt it was a fair price at $20.  For me, not a lot of replay value, but a good game, never crashed, and has some real potential if they come out with some good mods/addons/dlc.  Not nearly as ambitious as FE, but good at what it does.

June 7, 2012 10:29:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The DLC is also half off.

June 7, 2012 10:56:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I said this before in on of the other Warlock threads, and i'll say it again.

I really like Warlock, its everything I ever wanted out of a Civ game. The AI is pretty shabby, and the monsters are too tough/dense, but overall it inspires that one more turn feeling. I personally have 40 hours on it, and my dad probably has way more. It is certainly a game I will come back to years from now, and I am sure they will make some expansion packs too.

June 8, 2012 2:28:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I finally bought the game, but still considering the expansion pack. Races looks similar, so buying another race did not seem very interesting, and I did not understand the other pack. I rather pay for additional functionality rather than paying for additional data.

I played rapidly yesterday. I like the core of the game, but I doubt some things would require balancing. This is why modding would be important. For example I summoned imps and ghost wolf. They both have similar attack powers with no outstanding ability and the wolf has a -6 upkeep while the imp has -2. Why a so huge difference?

Another thing, sometimes the interface lack of info, but that could probably be patched. For example, the summon upkeep does not appear anywhere before casting the spell. So you need to summon, then say "Oh! my god, that is expensive!" and then un-summon it.

But my most surprising discovery was the fact that ALL UNITS CAN MOVE ON THE SEA. This is very ingenious, it avoid many problems including AI problems. I think elemental could do the same.

June 8, 2012 3:34:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The spirit wolf does spirit damage which is something that most things have no resistance too.  And the fact that all units move on the sea works well in the game because they have to end their turn at the edge of the water, then enter the water the next turn, and then they can move across the water on the third, so making it a real obstacle.  Also, when normal land units are in the sea, they transform into shit boats that can be easily destroyed.  It works out well, and encourages you to want to learn water walking and other buffs to cross water.  

June 8, 2012 4:07:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Of course, else only walking on water naturally would be very too powerful. But the fact that you must not build a ship and bring it to destination makes it awesome. It's also less annoying to design the interface to load and unload units.

Another idea would be to have a certain number of "Transport" in reserve that does not appaer on the map but that gets automatically used when moving at sea. So if you want to move more units at the same time on the sea, you would need to build more of them. It's a similar concept to the freighter fleets in master of orion 2 when moving population.

My girl friend played a quick game. Her biggest complains was the poor tutorial because there are some things she could not figure out by her self. Like for example: What are the Victory conditions!? Is there other victory conditions than kill all wizards? There was a few other things like how population growth works, etc.

But again, that can be easily fixed.

By the way, is there a rulebook/website/wiki, etc.

June 8, 2012 7:25:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Warlock fans are certainly welcome to post here.  

The PC Gaming forum is for the discussion of PC Games. All games. 

I got into trouble elsewhere regarding this game already because the reviews of Warlock have not been very positive overall and I wrote "anyone who gives Warlock less than an 80 can f*ck off."  Thankfully, no one in the media chose to run with that.

Anyway, I like Warlock a lot. 

June 9, 2012 9:00:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't know why people would give bad rating to Warlock. The only thing that I can see is that it's a simple game, a bit like CIV REV. And that might scare people away.

On my point of view, simplicity is perfect because it would allow to develop other aspects of the game like diplomacy, magic, espionage, etc. The problem with most CIV games is that the city management is so heavy that the players do not have enough energy to manage other things. Now with a much more simple city management, you can allow players to manage other stuff.

The only problem with warlock is that this other stuff is either weak or missing. For example, the diplomacy system is very limited. I would have added much more options with the possibility to have a council of wizard with laws, contracts and political powers.

We will see how it evolves, if they will add features or if it will be possible to mod our own features. But one thing for sure is that the core is very good and it seems quite playable. You don't feel like if you are playing an incomplete game.

June 10, 2012 7:45:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The devs are planning a update at the end of this month. I expect this will be the multiplayer update, since they have a internal working build of multiplayer.

June 10, 2012 8:03:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

There was a bug in the demo where desenchanting a unit spell removed the effect, but not he upkeep cost. I did not test it in the real game.

June 11, 2012 7:08:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Hadberz,
The devs are planning a update at the end of this month. I expect this will be the multiplayer update, since they have a internal working build of multiplayer.

The multiplayer patch should include the selection of victory conditions at last (yes!). The developer also posted that they plan to release the "Lords and Artifacts" DLC at the end of the month as well. Sounds very interesting. I like this game a lot and I like the support and added development after launch.

June 13, 2012 8:45:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have to try installing the game on my netbook but it has windows XP and according to steam, it only run on vista and 7. Did any body tried windows XP for this game.

Second, is there a ways to transfer the installation of a game from a computer to another, or do I really have to re-download the game again to my second computer directly from steam. I just want to save some bandwidth by simply transfering the files from a computer to another.

June 16, 2012 1:07:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The problem is that the AI is very very weak so they have a goofy magic system as a crutch.

Once you go to the highest 2 difficultly levels, magic is just unfair.  Tactics don't matter any more - your positioning is irrelevant.  They will either summon minions every single turn behind your defenses to insta gib your ranged units, or they will simply use AOE damage spells, that will insta kill your weak ranged units even if you put the elemental resist spell on them.  Casting those spells every once in a while is fine, but at higher difficulties, they get casted nearly every turn since the AI has so much mana.

I really wish that they would have a reasonable magic system, but I can see why they have what they have.  If they didn't have such a powerful and easy to use system (you can cast spells anywhere), the AI would be a pushover since its so bad.

I also don't like the fact that the best strategy is to simply spam cities like crazy.  Building settlers is cheap as hell, and there really isn't a drawback for building a ton of cities.  I can beat the game at higher levels by abusing this, but it seems silly.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000844   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+