Stardock

WINDOWS 8

Release Preview Bld 8400

By on June 1, 2012 7:36:13 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Picoz

Join Date 08/2001
+1

The aero option is still available in this just-released build. But the 'intel' is it won't be in any further beta (if there is one) and not in the

RTM and retail versions. That means, as far as I'm concerned, WinBlinds is back in the loop (I lived without it on WN7.) I like aero - turn it

off and you'll see what I mean. Bland. There will be many, especially those using Metro on phones and pads, who won't want it.  I can see

the reason for that. A flat look on those devices could be preferable. But a little eye candy on a PC and notebook is pleasant. So I'm all

for a new Win 8 version of WindowBlinds (the current/latest version is 'not compatible'. I know, I tried it.)

Stardock, I hope you're on the ball..

Locked Post 173 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 9, 2012 1:57:19 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Please for the love of everything decent, ADD WIN 8 SUPPORT!

I run multi monitor setups and I can't take much more of this disgusting pasty white color on all my inactive windows.

Especially since I like darker desktops...

Seriously what was MS thinking. >.<

November 16, 2012 2:45:29 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I am also eager to see at a glimpse of windowblinds for win8. I'm willing to test as well. I'm sure it will come in time, but just thought I'd chime in. I haven't used windowblinds since either win98 or maybe XP. Microsoft has sent me back!

What mainly interests me is being able to have charcoal grey windows and read the title bars. (white title bar text, or something)

Also, I am wondering if transparency can more easily be done without the "blur."  I can't say for sure if i'd like that until i see it though. Windows 8 style has grown on me a little since my initial "you cant be serious" when I first saw RTM, but I really don't get why the taskbar is translucent, and not the window borders. It just doesn't match...

November 16, 2012 5:41:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting jmyanes,
I am also eager to see at a glimpse of windowblinds for win8.

There is a glimpse here.  Be warned, it is indeed only a glimpse, don't get too excited  :

http://forums.wincustomize.com/436075

November 23, 2012 12:46:40 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

SO from the screenshot.. I can see they have not included their previously used in XP blurring engine. But it does help for the future.

November 25, 2012 10:00:24 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

will themes for windows 7 work on windows 8?

November 25, 2012 10:33:22 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting dsbig123,
will themes for windows 7 work on windows 8?

We're all waiting for Windowblinds 8, dsbig123.  

November 27, 2012 5:36:10 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Just adding one more voice to the chorus of those looking forward to WindowBlinds for Windows 8, so that we can get back the translucency we lost going from Windows 8 RP to RTM.

November 29, 2012 9:25:25 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

November 29, and still no official word on a release date for WindowBlinds 8?  Please, keep us in the loop... There are a lot of us early adopters waiting with baited breath for your flagship product's update here... Can we get some info, please? I mean, Win 8 has only been around now for nearly four months since RTM and was available in various beta stages for nearly a year. Usually you guys are so on top of keeping this one up to snuff, I'm just amazed we're not hearing more about this from you guys. I love your products and have been an avid user for a good while, and even back when I was using the free versions back in Win 98 and ME (shudder!) you guys made sure it worked with them and released updates pretty quickly. I just think a heads-up on the progress might be nice once in a while and perhaps a beta release date, if it's in sight.

Thanks,

A huge fan,

Drake Steele.

November 30, 2012 4:21:13 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Same boat here: I keep checking back every few days to see if/when WindowBlinds 8 will be available. I absolutely hate the flat, no-feature Windows 8 UI.

Seriously hoping you guys push it out to beta soon, because I'd be so happy to have even that much. Please-please-please.

Also a fan going waaaay back,

BeccaM / 'Technowitch'

November 30, 2012 8:40:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Friendly reminder....this is in the SUPPORT forum...and we all know what that means with regards to going 'off-topic'.

November 30, 2012 9:07:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

@ Jafo. I am sorry but the site is wonky, I see no such distinction in the page header.at the top. If I am out of line, feel free to delete my reply.

Thank you.

LINK Chrome, on XP. IE9 isn't an option.

November 30, 2012 10:13:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The header is broken in whatever browser you are using, however the 'normal' IE9 will indicate...

Home-OS Customizing-Stardock Support General-Object Desktop-Windowblinds.

Anything NOT strictly a problem report or actual assistance/resolution will be removed.

December 3, 2012 7:12:10 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'm using Firefox and I don't see anything of that nature at all. This forum is under "Home->Stardock Software->Windowblinds".

December 3, 2012 7:45:29 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting BuckoA51,
I'm using Firefox and I don't see anything of that nature at all. This forum is under "Home->Stardock Software->Windowblinds".

You need a better browser ....

December 3, 2012 7:47:12 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

....or it 'may' be an anomaly as you're posting from Stardock.com ...not Wincustomize.com ....

Edit...yes...am in Stardock.com now...and it's as you said.

This needs to be passed on to the 'coding monkeys'....

January 9, 2013 10:01:19 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

soooo.... any updates on the status of windowblinds 8?? been a while now

February 7, 2013 1:52:55 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I check for Windowblinds 8 Updates every day! Windows 8 truly sucks without the desktop features that Microsoft removed. I have always needed at least one copy of the latest MS-OS to support my customers and usually it's the PC use from day to day, this has changed since I can't stand the juvenile interface that’s an ugly throwback to before the windows 3.11 days. I currently have Windows 8 installed in a VMware virtual machine and I cant stomach the looks of it even there. I have seven (7) Windows 7 copies and I'm happy with Widows 7 because it has a pleasing customizable Desktop UI. Windows 8 is never likely to become my primary OS without Windowblinds 8 now! I'll probably only ever upgrade one (1) of my Windows 7 licenses and I'm sure many like me with multiple copies of Windows 7 feel the same way. Microsoft really screwed the pooch on this one , I'm sure many haven't bought or upgraded to Windows 8 for the same reasons. It would seem, at least to me, Microsoft would have had many more Windows 8 up graders from previous MS desktop OS’s if they would have allowed the Desktop UI to retain the desktop features of XP, Vista and Windows 7. To remove these desktop features like Aero, transparency and Etc. was just plain self centered corporate money grubbing stupidity on Microsoft’s part! It's no wonder they are loosing market share to the Mac's and Linux Distros! 

Please, Please if there is any chance I could participate in any beta’s of the new Windowsblinds 8 I would greatly like to do so….

There is no doubt that even though I currently hate Windows 8, I’ll eventually have to use it but not before Windowblinds 8 is available for Windows 8. I have (1) one purchased copy of Windows 8 now and undoubtedly I’ll be purchasing Object Desktop with Windoblinds 8 when it’s available. I have in the past purchased Windowsblinds 6 and loved the product.

Hopefully I’ll be a beta tester and be able to see Windows 8 in a better light soon!

February 10, 2013 12:02:55 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'm not sure they can fix it for windows 8. Looks like windows 7 was the last customizable OS. Microsoft has apparently locked them out.

February 12, 2013 4:38:32 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting stephenv,
I'm not sure they can fix it for windows 8. Looks like windows 7 was the last customizable OS. Microsoft has apparently locked them out.

I believe Stardock has to rewrite the Windowblinds code to work in a non-Aero environment. Win8 took quite a drastic turn in UI, which means a lot of work to get WindowBlinds8 to be something that customers will be excited and fulfilled in using and staff will be confident they've pushed out a top quality product.

February 12, 2013 9:19:32 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting boomstickers,

Quoting stephenv, reply 94I'm not sure they can fix it for windows 8. Looks like windows 7 was the last customizable OS. Microsoft has apparently locked them out.

I believe Stardock has to rewrite the Windowblinds code to work in a non-Aero environment. Win8 took quite a drastic turn in UI, which means a lot of work to get WindowBlinds8 to be something that customers will be excited and fulfilled in using and staff will be confident they've pushed out a top quality product.

Aero Zoom, Aero Snap, Aero Shake, .... it's all there in Windows 8. also the visual style format has not seen dramatic changes. tansparency and blur is an issue though. but i think they have WindowBlinds running internally since months.

i guess their problem is rather that they can not ignore the explorer ribbon interface as easily as they did with Office, Live Mail,etc. it breaks quite a few of WindowBlinds' features. maybe the even want to make the ribbons skinnable.

they also might want to make WindowBlinds backward compatible to WindowBlinds 7 skins. there are not that many WindowBlinds skinners left and not everyone of them might use Windows 8.

February 12, 2013 2:07:46 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Oh yes they can fix it. Microsoft isen't likely to, but I've allready used a set of other products and I've brought back 90% (no rounded windows wedges, near zero color controll) of aero and the traditional descktop. I would prefer to use Window Blinds as it allows for the most extensive and usefull controlls and modifications. I would also server as one program in control rather than the 4 I'm using now!

February 15, 2013 8:03:10 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Please Please, give us windows blinds 8, windows 8 needs it so bad, I'm using start 8 and deskscapes which is not bad but blinds was so nice it was the reason I bought this software and we really really really really really really really need windowsblinds.  PLEAASE! I'm begging.    

-Blaze

February 16, 2013 7:39:50 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Patience, I'm sure they want it done worse than we do. They make their living off of it.

February 16, 2013 7:48:03 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting blazejojo,
we really really really really really really really need windowsblinds. PLEAASE! I'm begging.
Kinda´ sums it up

February 16, 2013 8:50:37 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I am very glad I decided NOT to install Windows 8.  It is the first time I have ever skipped a new version of Windows.  According to Microsoft, Windows Blue (updated version of 8) will be released in the middle of 2013 and it will be more customizable than the current version.  I read an article that said it will be free or low cost so there may be some hope in the not too distant future for Windowblinds, etc. and maybe??? the option for a traditional desktop.  One can only hope that Microsoft is finally listening to their users.... 

In the meantime, the price of Windows 8 is now $199.00 which is certainly no incentive to buy it.  If Microsoft wanted to kill sales, they've done so very effectively.  After reading the posts here I will follow the updated version of Windows 8 with caution as Windows 7 is very comfortable and customizable.  I cannot imagine not having Windowblinds.  Once you have it, you're hooked for life.   

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000828   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+