Stardock

[0.915 BUG] Splash damage % too high

By on May 26, 2012 10:28:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Brago

Join Date 06/2007
+1

+ Added splash damage feature (a percent of the melee damage done is done to surrounding units, enemies and allies alike)

I fought a couple of Juggernauts, and in both combat, the % of the splash damage seems too high (like 300%, I took 80 hp of splash damage and only 22 on direct damage)

35 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 26, 2012 11:15:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Not a bug..You cant just zerg rush every battle! I had this problem with drake splash..80s hitting the entire army killing everryone in 1 hit..I used to tactics to win the battle(on reload)..arranging my army with spaces in between so the splash didnt activate. Won the battle with only 1 loss to a lucky crit. 

Adapt or die

May 26, 2012 11:24:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Um... if splash is doing more damage than normal, then that is obviously a bug... o0. The point of splash damage is to spread some extra around not to multiply your damage. It's one thing to say you can adapt and do okay, it's another to say that's how it's meant to be and my Juggernaught abuses it and wipe the floor with everything.

May 26, 2012 12:02:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Meaby its because splash doesnt calculate armor, Seen that bug in other games, have no patience to test it now though

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

May 26, 2012 12:15:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Kongdej,
Meaby its because splash doesnt calculate armor, Seen that bug in other games, have no patience to test it now though

tested, and you are right, the splash damage is doing 200% of damage ignoring armor (happen: 177 damage on a second line unit and only 35 on the objective, with a 63 attack juggernaut)

@enoeraew37: the splash damage should be 25% only of the damage, and is not a zerg rush with 2vs1.

May 26, 2012 7:56:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've also seen some strange things with splash damage. Looks like it does friendly fire some/all of the time?

May 27, 2012 12:44:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Any (friend or enemy) unit next to the unit attacked by the splash damage unit (except the splash damage unit itself) takes damage.  That's how it's intended.  However, the extremely high splash damage currently is probably not.

May 27, 2012 1:18:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Does the splash damage get multiplied by the number of soldiers in the squad?

May 27, 2012 2:32:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yes, this bug makes the juggernauts unplayable.

But I like the idea.

May 28, 2012 8:53:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting UmbralAngel,
Does the splash damage get multiplied by the number of soldiers in the squad?

Maybe, but this is not the source of the bug.

I figured my juggernauts had enough hitpoints for the two of them to bash on the same iron golem for a while, absorbing some marginal splash damage. Was I wrong! Target golem hit for a dozen hitpoints, splash on friendly juggernaut for 87 from a 27 attack, killing him outright. Not much fun.

Also, splash damage seems very inconsistent right now:

• Most hits don't generate any splash at all, with occasional hits doing massive damage. If I were to guess at the current formula, I'd say it feels like 25% chance to deal 4x splash damage, rather than 100% chance to deal 1/4x splash damage as implied by the description.

• My champions never seem to get splashed. 
May 28, 2012 9:01:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It is all units next to the unit attacked that get splashed (except the splashing creature itself obviously).  It is not based on what units are next to the *attacker*, but instead are next to the *attacked*.

PS: My sovereign got splashed by a Hoarder Spider when the Hoarder was friendly.  Splash damage affects units next to the attacked unit, not next to the attacker unit.

May 28, 2012 9:24:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting StevenAus,
My sovereign got splashed

Awesome, so champs can get splashed, mine must have just been lucky.

May 29, 2012 4:26:27 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think it must have not been on a square adjacent or diagonal to the creature being attacked.  AFAIK any unit next to the unit being attacked gets splash damage (except the splash damage unit).  I think what must have happened was that your champion was next to the splash damage creature but *not* next to the creature being attacked by the splash damage creature.

May 29, 2012 1:11:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Last night attack a late game spider (forget the name of it) with a 7 unit strong rated army.  First turn the spider mesmerizes the whole army, runs across the map and kills all but two of my units (including my champion and an iron golem).  One of the units to survive was the unit he targeted. Splash damage calculation is way off.  I'm just going to leave that spider alone and hope he doesn't move.

May 29, 2012 7:48:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I was tinkering with Juggs in a game, and what I found was that the first time it attacks splash damage was happening (at stupid damage amounts), but the next time it got to attack, I lined up 2 units next to each other again, and no splash at all. 

My Sov has been 1 hit KO from splash damage.  Had higher def and health than the unit attacked...... guess which one was still around.....

May 31, 2012 10:19:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting StillSingle,
My Sov has been 1 hit KO from splash damage.  Had higher def and health than the unit attacked...... guess which one was still around.....

Yup. Saw this last night as well. Level 9 Path of Defender Sovereign with over 50 armor took 84 from a Skath Lord and died instantly. The Spearmen next to him was just fine, thanks.

I really hope we get a patch for this sooner than Beta 4. It's making me not want to play.

May 31, 2012 1:57:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's only units next to the unit attacked that get splash damage, but right now splash damage is just way too high.

June 2, 2012 3:58:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The xml says 50 splash damage for Juggernaut. You can temporarily fix this by reducing the splash to 5 or so. We won't have another update for quite a while longer.

June 2, 2012 5:01:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting seanw3,
The xml says 50 splash damage for Juggernaut. You can temporarily fix this by reducing the splash to 5 or so. We won't have another update for quite a while longer.

I know that they are working on Beta 4 and it takes a while, but a bugpatch is really needed.

June 2, 2012 9:39:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I might put up a balance mod next week. Nothing crazy, just some basic fixes like splash. Need to ask Hf some questions first though. I'll make a post.

June 2, 2012 9:53:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

As an aside, I have been feeling like auto-resolve gets around this issue. It could be my imagination.

CM

June 3, 2012 12:56:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

+1  Agreed, the splash damage is just plain stupid.

June 3, 2012 5:35:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Splash damage should be fixed.

June 5, 2012 10:03:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Oh my.  Started a new game last night.  Had a great capital city, a good second city, lots of outposts because I was in the desert and there was no land to settle but still quite a bit resources.  I had upgraded the Altarian Defender to ride wargs and have upgradeable everything--I like the Athican longsword.  My power ranking was drastically behind the Verga and Magnar.  However, everytime I ran into their troops I would absolutely dominate--perhaps they had large armies, but poor quality.  That is until I ran into a Yithril army containing two juggernauts.  My army was devastated.  Unhurt troops would be killed in one shot, by the splash---Over 200 points of damage.  I still won the battle but the damage had been done the two following armies both had juggernauts in them as well.  I couldn't heal things fast enough.

The game actually ended when I ran into Magnar, he pretty much could one shot every hero I had, including my sovereign.  It was a quick death.

June 5, 2012 2:58:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

reproduced the issue here, thanks for the feedback (sorry for the slow response, i was on vacation last week).

June 5, 2012 5:26:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Derek Paxton,
reproduced the issue here, thanks for the feedback (sorry for the slow response, i was on vacation last week).

Bad excuse >)...

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000657   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+