Stardock

where to go after wheel of time and game of thrones(A Song of fire and ice) series

By on May 18, 2012 2:57:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

joasoze

Join Date 02/2006
+35

Title says it all. Are there any other fantasy series of the same quality?

56 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 18, 2012 4:10:27 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I suggest "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant".

I wouldn't put the WoT series in the same sentence with ASoIaF (I personaly think that ASoIaF is much much better) but that's just me .

May 18, 2012 4:19:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Prince of Nothing (series) by R. Scott Bakker, 3 books, has a follow-up triology with 2/3 released so far. Best books I've ever read.

May 18, 2012 5:19:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
The Malazan Book of the Fallen series is pretty good, and suitably long to keep you occupied for a while. Took me a whole year to read it. The story gets a bit too philosophical and meandering at times, so not quite as fast paced as Game of Thrones, but still worth a read.
May 18, 2012 5:24:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Raymond E Feist. I suggest starting with Magician: Apprentice/Master. He is my favorite author by far.

Also Devid Edding's Belgariad is pretty good.  

Terry Goodkind has a series called the Sword of Truth. I like it more than the Wheel of Time but at the same time I was disappointed by the later books.  

May 18, 2012 5:56:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The Black Company by Glen Cook might be worth a shot for you.

May 18, 2012 5:58:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Lots of helpful ppl here. I will look into them. Maybe find audio book versions. Love to listen to audio books while driving and training.

May 18, 2012 6:48:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Two books that I've realy enjoyed are 'The Lies of Locke Lamora' and 'Red Seas Under Red Skies', by Scott Lynch. They are the first two books in a series that should eventualy have seven volumes. Book three is due this fall, can't wait!

Or if you are looking for something a bit different, try the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. They're a bit lighter reading, but a lot of fun. And the slowly developing plot that is woven through all the books is quite interesting I think.

UmbralAngel, Feist's series is great, read everything from Magician to Shard's of a Broken Crown (except for the Empire Trilogy). But after that I think it ran out of steam. I read the covers of some of the later books, and they didn't appeal at all. Same enemies return for yet another round, or an even stronger newer enemy shows up right after the last have been defeated...

May 18, 2012 10:37:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Roger Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber.  The first series -- about Corwin of Amber -- is the best, the second series -- about Merlin  (not the wizard Merlin) -- is ok but gets kinda weird.  The first series is Nine Princes in Amber, The Guns of Avalon, Sign of the Unicorn, Hand of Oberon, and The Courts of Chaos.

I've reread the first series a half-dozen times over the years, and find new things each time (a lot of sneaky plotting, and it's told from the viewpoint of Corwin, and his understanding of events changes as he learns what's going on -- everyone has a certain viewpoint and their own version of 'truth').

It's not fantasy but it is fantasy -- hard to explain without giving too much away and spoiling things.

Vallu751's suggestion of the Glen Cook's Black Company is a good one (again, the first series is the best IMO (The Black Company, Shadows Linger, The White Rose, and toss in The Silver Spike).

May 18, 2012 11:05:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd recommend Joe Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy and the books that follow it (particularly The Heroes, though you may want to read the earlier books first as it shares some characters with the trilogy). They have the same cynical, amoral & unheroic feel as ASoIaF, though faster-paced and funnier with a smaller cast.

Edit: Interesting to hear so much about the Black Company, I keep coming across people in different places singing its praises, might have to check it out.

May 18, 2012 11:19:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

For me David Eddings, with his Belgariad (5 books) and his Malloreon (also 5 books) series are like old friends to me now, I keep going back.  He also did some spin offs about some of the main characters (Belgarath & Polgara).

Nice easy reads.

Andy.

May 18, 2012 12:28:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The Gaunt's Ghosts series of books are pretty good, but I don't know if they qualify as Fantasy or Sci-Fi.

I'll second the recommendation of Raymond Feist's books.  I've just started the Magician series and am enjoying it.

May 18, 2012 12:56:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Feist and Belariad are much easier reads than song of ice and fire (can not say much about wheel of time only read one book, book 9 i think so not much of a clue what is going on). Joe Abercrombie and his first law series I can endorse heartily his heroes are really a great read.The chronicles of Thomas Convenant are and enthralling first read but for me at least impossible to read twice. (english is not my native language and his descriptions get really complicated at times and also a bit winded). My personal recommendation would be Jim butchers "Dresden files" also not really fantasy but fantasy. Its 13 or 14 books are set in contemporary chicago with the twist that we all have been fooled and wizards, fairies, trolls, werewolves and vampires all exist we only very successfully deny their existance and they like it that way. The first two books are a bit slow to get rolling but also rather short but with the 3rd book the series really kicks into gear. Those are all to be had as audiobooks too and my usual listen while cycling along the danube.

May 18, 2012 1:05:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series is excellent as well

May 18, 2012 6:26:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Poko8,
Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series is excellent as well

This - he's wrapping up Jordan's Wheel of Time, was trusted by Jordan's wife with finishing the series after he died. Says alot.

May 18, 2012 6:33:10 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting UmbralAngel,
Raymond E Feist. I suggest starting with Magician: Apprentice/Master. He is my favorite author by far.

Yes, yes. Excellent!

The_Riftwar_Saga

May 18, 2012 6:33:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I can second the Black Company series. Really good read, but wrote in a weird style. I can also suggest most of the Forgotten Realms books by R.A. Salvatore. Also, you do know that the Game of Thrones series is still ongoing yes? Only 4 books are out, but it is suppose to have 7 when it is complete.

May 18, 2012 6:57:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yes I'm sure he's aware, but I guess he wants something to read in the six or seven years between each book Martin releases

May 18, 2012 6:59:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting UmbralAngel,

That. You'll love them.

May 18, 2012 7:40:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

the witcher series by sapkowski

May 18, 2012 8:18:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting UmbralAngel,

Terry Goodkind has a series called the Sword of Truth. I like it more than the Wheel of Time but at the same time I was disappointed by the later books.

I never really liked Raymond E Feist's books. They always felt lacking, like something important was missing.

Devid Edding's Belgariad is a classic but his series get worse and worse after that.

Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth is alright. If you read the first one and pretend it ends there you will spare yourself from a bunch of filler and a weird elongated ending. I would only finish the series if I had nothing better to read.

Brandon Sanderson's new epic series, that unfortunately only has one book out now, is currently my favorite book ever. Check out the Way of Kings, you will not be disappointed.

Joe Abercrombie and Glen Cook are also very good authors with some awesome books.

If you wanna check out Urban Fantasy then The Dresden Files are without a doubt the best in the genre. There are also around a dozen books out in it.

Finally if you are looking for some laughs then the Discworld books by Terry Prachett are the way to go. It is a satire set in a fantasy realm and the funniest books you will ever read. Maybe start with Going Postal.

May 18, 2012 8:48:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You must read The Kingkiller Chronicle series by Patrick Rothfuss.  2 of the 3 books are out.  If I am not mistaken FE includes at least one very thinly veiled reference to it in the quest that allows you to build the carnival of the winds (probably named that wrong but you know what I mean if you ever got the quest).  I've read a ton of scifi/fantacy and this is as good as it get's. 

Also the entire Elric of Melnibone saga is fantastic old school dark fantasy.

May 18, 2012 9:04:48 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Try the Shannara books by Terry Brooks, Witch world books by Andre Norton and Darkover books by MZ Bradley although Darkover is more SF than Fantasy.

May 18, 2012 9:17:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ah yes I just remembered if you are into dark fantasy then anne bishop and her dark jewels trilogy is a must read.

May 18, 2012 9:51:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting DsRaider,
Brandon Sanderson's new epic series, that unfortunately only has one book out now, is currently my favorite book ever. Check out the Way of Kings, you will not be disappointed.

How would you compare this book to the "A Song of Fire and Ice" series?

May 18, 2012 9:59:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

My all-time favorite series are Dan Simmon's "Hyperion", "Fall of Hyperion", "Endymion" and "Rise of Endymion" books. "Hyperion" was released in 1989, but is amazingly prescient in the current internet connected world. The story development and detail are incredible. I have read the entire series at least 6 times and still find them fresh and alive.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0002094   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+