Stardock

Game is not living up to what I expected

By on May 5, 2012 11:42:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Shaky010

Join Date 12/2007
+2

So turn 24, computer has agro'd some trolls that have attack 120, oh look straight to my main city, game over.

Im playing on normal and this seems to be the general trend.  Also not happy about how you cant place cities in any spot, nor am I happy with the fact that the computer can scout you completely, it should be that you should put an open boarders like civ.  currently they just walts right through you're territory and late game this can get quiet annoying trying to keep track of everything.

Further to this you cant even build a second city for fear of getting attacked by assassin demons.  This game just isnt fun for me.  Im trying to like it but its just not living up to what I expected.

37 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 6, 2012 12:58:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

These are not the droids you're looking for...

May 6, 2012 2:42:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think it might help the developers more if you could list the specific expectations you had going into this. The things you're mentioning sound more like play balance issues and/or bugs; i.e. things that (hopefully) won't be issues in the polished/finished product.

May 6, 2012 4:36:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I am sure the devs will fix the monsters being too strong, but the number of places you can build a city will probably be limited. Both of these can be fixed with mods, I would assume.

The only thing that probably requires specific developer attention would be the open borders thing, which is an issue others have complained about. It can be annoying but if all the other problems get fixed it can be overlooked, I am sure you agree.

If you aren't having fun, you can try playing on a different setting, or you can wait till it gets patched I guess. Beta is for testing, not for early access, so your feedback is valuable. 

May 6, 2012 5:40:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

In my humble opinion it is YOU who are not living up to what the game expected... 

Seriously, I have played several times on Normal and Challenging, and have built empires of up to 12 cities - I have had monsters attack me and lost cities, but I have tried again, and prevailed... this game needs patience and thought, and not just brute force and spamming of cities...

As for your idea to be able to build cities everywhere, I also began by asking for that (even as an additional fation trait) but after a while I LOVE the strategy behind choosing your spots and spreading your cities and outposts strategically across your empire...

May 6, 2012 6:03:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The game isnt finished. The AI of the monsters will be adjusted many times before release. You are far to eager to draw conclusions in my opinion. Either get more relaxed, or wait with playing until release and then see if you like it.

May 6, 2012 6:49:33 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sorry but I have to say it.  If  EFE played anything like civilization I would have tossed it in the bin long ago.

May 6, 2012 7:02:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

One cannot moan about a game design for being a poor player.

May 6, 2012 7:44:51 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's about balancing at the moment the AI can city spam with little fear of monsters even looking at them yet they come for miles for anything we do, so by the time you build up enough troops to defend another city the AI already has a huge edge.

May 6, 2012 8:08:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If you have only started playing since the latest patch 0.913 Shaky, then it will seem bad.  The game is good, it's the patch that's bad.  So don't give up on the game just yet.

May 6, 2012 8:47:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The problem is that the AI is waking up monsters too early by placing outposts

May 6, 2012 9:13:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I am also finding the early game (expansion and consolidation) very difficult with roaming super-monsters. I want them to be in the game, just not so much in the early game.

Drakes, shrill lords and slags are the most difficult, but even a fire elemental can be difficult sometimes.

May 6, 2012 9:31:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

For .913, I dont' blame OP, this stuff should go to hard level, not normal level, It's seem I couldn't build a second city every time, and it's waste time so I fous on single city and reseached all the way while keep other a.I nation fight each other to gave me time. but if one don't want talk or try to make nation fight other nation, then I don't blame, if they playing on normal and easy level. So I agree with OP.

Edit: "more likely this patch .913 isn't great fun as before." Not this game, though. but game need to work, but biggest problem is that game maker and other gamer do not believe same way.

May 6, 2012 9:36:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Ashbery76,
Or game design is poor as well, not player, depend what player's mood and mind.

May 6, 2012 10:25:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This is obviously a bug not a game feature... but I guess if you rage quit after 1 game then it would be hard to tell the difference.

The AI builds next to tough monsters and they ignore him and rampage across the map. It will be fixed.

May 6, 2012 11:24:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting UmbralAngel,
I am sure the devs will fix the monsters being too strong, but the number of places you can build a city will probably be limited.

thats not the point

fertility is too much an issue, you DO NEED more cities while its a dice roll to have an area appropriate where to build

its bad, in fact 60 70% of the starting locations are nto playable at high lvl  because the surroundings are too bad

not talking about the fact i WANT to build just to stop the ai annoying me with tons of cities

he pointed out a great issue imo

May 6, 2012 11:59:51 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Maybe on the easier difficulty levels there should be fewer and weaker monster spawns and more city build locations on the map.  I personally like the way things are on Challenging right now.  I want to tame a ferocious world.

Though monsters absolutely attack AI armies in the current build, they could be slightly more aggressive towards AI cities and outposts, IMO.

May 16, 2012 8:24:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

First off thanks to all those who posted constructive posts and didnt flame me.  I posted when I was massively frustrated coming off another early game loss.  To those who say I’m not a good player you’re right on the money! Hence why I play the game on easy mode to ensure I am better at learning the game mechanics from build queues to fort expansion and which techs to build etc.  However being destroyed by super monsters early game due to idiotic situations like the A.I deciding to attack them near my cities so they rampage towards me does not really say the game mode is easy, its also a put off when you find it extremely hard to expand quickly getting stomped into the ground while the computer seems to have no problem with that at all.  People also learn what the computer players do by emulating them to some degree.

Anyway as far as the game is going, I do like the direction its headed and I think  its an improvement over the last game.  I personally don’t like how forts can be built any place anywhere, and believe it should be limited to 2 per city which would make resource grabbing much more strategic (personally don’t like forts but that’s me).  I did enjoy the fact that you needed a food resource from the last game to enable you to build a city (created a much more cut and dry form yes you can build here or no you cant) as currently I find it pot luck on where you can build other cities.  By the time you go to expand the computer has already expanded their or you have super monsters to contend with which prevents you.

I wont actually quit the game (frustrating as it may be, it still is enjoyable), however I may wait until another patch or a few more patches come out before attempting it again.  I do have high hopes for this game and I believe the Devs are going in the right direction but it does need to cater for the newb players like myself.  Currently easy mode does not seem easy, and for new players and newb players that can be game breaking.

I know for others that post here, living and breathing this game on the hardest difficulty is a cake walk and its great you can compete at a high level.  Im just not that good and probably wont be up to the pro level like some.

Again sorry for posting such a negative comment on the forums and not really explaining myself, I hope that this clarifies some points.

May 16, 2012 9:23:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Ashbery76,

I am curious how a good player deals with Knights of Asok destroying their city within the first 20 turns. 

May 16, 2012 9:54:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The real issue is whether the monster AI is treating players and enemy AI's the same, and if it does, whether the AI can handle that.

May 17, 2012 12:15:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting jshores,

Quoting Ashbery76, reply 7One cannot moan about a game design for being a poor player.

I am curious how a good player deals with Knights of Asok destroying their city within the first 20 turns. 

Aww, come on. You know this one. It's "That's what Ctrl+N is for!". The magical hotkey that makes infuriating lack of starting position balance acceptable!

I'm with you, OP. I really only have the patience to play one or two sittings a week with the seriously unfair Laser-Guided Shrill Lords and 7-10 (Not an exaggeration) hotkey restarts to find an acceptable starting point only to have stupid crap like the aforementioned Knights of Asok just outside of your starting FoW.

I see the Diamond in this lump of coal, and I know it's going to get really close to what I'm hoping for in the end, but you really do have to either be willing to wait until a whole new patch or trade a few hours of your weeks hoping you identify some usable bugs or gameplay modifications which get us that much closer to our desired end result.

May 17, 2012 1:22:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I dont see this need for restart at the beginning due to starting position. There is usually a 4/3 spot and worst case 4/2. Both will work.

May 17, 2012 2:01:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting jshores,

Quoting Ashbery76, reply 7One cannot moan about a game design for being a poor player.

I have found them not to act until you have had plenty of time to do the necessary research for having them as your very own play thing.

May 17, 2012 6:56:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I take earth 2 and tremor them or anything that I can't beat easily until I put together enough spearmen to poke them to death. I only do that when I absolutely have to though (due to mana costs), usually I just stay clear of them until I can handle it.

May 17, 2012 2:32:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Tattyhat,

Quoting jshores, reply 18

I have found them not to act until you have had plenty of time to do the necessary research for having them as your very own play thing.

One time they were right next to me and didn't do anything to me for hundreds of turns, they just kind of patrolled around, primarily just outside the zone of control of my city.

The last game I played, they marched on me before I had even finished my second structure. Once I realized what they were doing, I rushed my sovereign and my hero home. I defended my city with one group militia, one hero and one sovereign and ended up with a Janusk score. 

Edit: 100s of turns may be an exaggeration, but they didn't bother me until I decided I was equipped well enough to bother them.

May 17, 2012 2:41:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Refering to the "... may they die, and burn in Hell, forever ..."  Knights of Asok  ...  

Quoting Kalin,
     ...   usually I just stay clear of them until I can handle it.

Yes, but sometimes  they  just won't stay clear of  me  !

( Honestly: I  LIKE  the game ... this is really just a Good-Natured Rant .           )

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001266   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+