Stardock

[9.12] Assassin demons on turn 35? Really?

By on April 30, 2012 10:30:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Malsqueek

Join Date 09/2009
+38

How is it that a you-can-see-them-turn-one "weak" creature can walk into a city (in the first 35 turns, no less) defended by a militia, two bandits (the sort you get for your starting ability), the sovereign at level 2 with spear and armor of 7, another champion at level 2 with hammer and armor of 4, and brutally kill all of them with quite literally no recourse (full heal for killing even one) if you do not have offensive spells? They even get upset with your cities from further out than your city can see upon founding, and will come attack you.

On top of that, when the "weak" creature will obliterate the city, leaving an unusable 3x3 patch of used-to-be-worth-my-time land.

That isn't enough time to research and create military that would matter against them. That isn't enough time to research or level up to spells that would matter against them unless you started out with fire magic (only real early game offense).

I call shenanigans. They need to be toned down, pulled back in aggro, or marked as a more difficult creature and NOT start within 10 tiles of your starting location. After 45 minutes and three restarts to get a not-cornered-in-by-two-opponents starting point, this is a pretty poor thing to have happen. Not fun in the least.

40 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 1, 2012 3:32:10 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I think the monsters are fine.  It presents a challenge, it would be boring without the constant threat of annihilation   I suppose the devs could put an option in that would limit the spawns until a certain turn?  I'd also like to point out that the mobs in some cases do you dirty work for you.  Been in a few games where my AI opponents are wiped off the map by wandering monsters

May 1, 2012 3:53:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I totally agree that its no fun to have powerful creatures near your start.   Also, being able to have some half decent champs/heroes would help. They need to start better kitted out for adventuring (equipment wise should have a couple armor pieces in addition to their weapon) .  Getting owned by a dog is no fun. 

May 1, 2012 4:50:04 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Have to add my vote to this getting owned by an assassin demon early on when all you can build is spearmen stinks. Needs to be better balanced.

May 1, 2012 5:12:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My last game I had wondering knight of asok killing everything I send out of my starting city for a good bit of the early game before I pull out enough spearmans to fill them with holes. It made the game way more fun overall, because the AI finally had a leg up on me (hard AI). Had two declared war on me before I ran all over them with my sovereign. Taking out those knights was the highlight of the game.

May 1, 2012 9:26:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Bellack,

However I would ask the devs to allow us to rebuild on a razed town square in the future.

I don't see a consensus in this thread, as to whether it is more fun to face tough monsters early, or not.  Some players like this change, and some players don't.  However, I have noticed that there is a pretty strong consensus among players, that they would prefer to be able to rebuild on razed town squares (razed by any circumstance), or at least, in the 8 tiles that surround a razed city. 

You may want to check the thread entitled: "Razing a city permanently destroys all terrain fertility", if you agree (or even if you don't, come to think of it) and express your preference on that subject.  Hopefully, the developers will pay some attention to player feedback, especially when it is generally consistent, or nearly universal.  Thanks!

May 2, 2012 5:42:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like the tougher monsters - I'd actually like options to ramp em up more ('super dense' and 'hyper aggressive' on the worldbuilder) but I'm not sure how well the AI opponents would handle that. One of the things I liked most from FFH2 was the early game survival against the odds scenario - of course you could also really tone down monsters if you were scared too.

Monsters are better in this Beta and I've not ran into any early game blitzes from em yet so I'm guessing you guys were just unlucky 

May 2, 2012 9:21:06 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting DGB246,

Monsters are better in this Beta and I've not ran into any early game blitzes from em yet so I'm guessing you guys were just unlucky 

Ultimately, this is my complaint here. It's not the monsters, but to have to restart several times because of starting in useless locations (2/3 best locations), being cornered by death demons and mountains so that you can't expand past your first city, starting so close to other empires that you can' even place a second city, and THEN finally getting a good spot and having an assassin demon somewhere off the map lose its home omewhere well out of your awareness, and it beelines to our capitol, flattening it.

I agree that monsters are better in general. This is on normal difficulty with normal monster density, and is the kind of crap makes people frustrated enough to stop playing the game. I do not mind a tough start, and the hard decisions in early game, but I really hate losing 45 of the 60 minutes a day that I have to spend playing games to stupid restarts and random BS.

May 3, 2012 2:13:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I agree that there should be tough monsters to deal with - initally by avoiding them. But I've gotten waylaid by some assassin demons lately, and it seems like for some reason they are better able than other tough monsters to seek out my cities earlier. It's not a case of stupidly building a city next to a lair, it is a case of them appearing out of nowhere, presumably somewhere unexplored, and finding my city anyway.

Speaking of cities next to lairs, I definitely cannot do this but I've seen the AI do it - without having the city getting razed - even though monsters are now supposed to harass the AI.

May 3, 2012 2:56:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

As an aside but related, a couple of games ago I had the pleasure to start a game right next to the entrance to the swamp quest area - I forget it's name right now. I actually didn't get city-razed by patrolling ogres and such, but they did quickly wreck havoc on any outposts and mines that I tried to build too close. That was fun.

And a neat, unique challenge to start out a game with.

Is the AI between different types of roving monsters different? Where those swamp denziens seemed happy to just patrol a radius, assassin demons seemed to seek and destroy more afar, unless I'm just seeing coincidence.

May 3, 2012 3:26:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My latest game i had a perfect start 5/3 land next to food and shards with a perfect hero selection of three heroes. challenging ai, dense monsters. Went over to the first quest hut. It wasa a bard song summon dragon thing, i thought what th eheck why not- lets see what happens.

oh he sumons adrogan with the song, i had hoped he was lying. Apparently not.

First time i saw the dragon model in the game. Nice pretty green colour.

How strong could it be from a low level quest hut.

DEADLY.

Yikes run away! run away.

(dragons goes on a rampage and destroys my two settlemenst and all my heros and units.)

ROFL.

yeah... not doing that quest agin early on

Next time i listen to the bard da**** !

(if only i had saved that map before th dragon spawned... yeah...)

November 14, 2012 10:30:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Last night, very early game I came across an Assasin Demon.  It was labeled as weak, with 36 hitpoints.  So my level 3 Sov, level 2 champion, earth elemental, and a group of militia (labeled as Medium) went up against it, and had my ass handed to me.  Which pissed me off, so I tried again agter the 5 turn wait, and again.  But wait a minute, he was labeled as weak, WTH?!?!?!?

November 14, 2012 10:40:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Big problem is that once monster raze city, it's ruined, even you careful, there is a.i spawn city all over map only to had monter ruined as well, no fun for me.

When  I said ruined, I mean you can't resettle on that spot again, and area as well.

November 14, 2012 4:29:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, at least they aren't immune to fire damage, so fire arrow=win.

In my last game, I had assassin demons constantly attacking one of my outer cities and I had no idea where they spawned from, I just eventually cleared out that side of the map and never did see a spawn location anywhere close to that city.

November 14, 2012 11:30:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sigh since you necroe'd the thread, assassin demons are spawned by the dark wizard.

November 15, 2012 9:30:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Glowing_Ember,

Sigh since you necroe'd the thread, assassin demons are spawned by the dark wizard.

Actually, this wasn't true in my case, he was camped out on a goodie hut, right next to a clay pit and Air Shard that I wanted to build an outpost on.  I wasn't even on turn 50, hadn't met any other AI's at all, and was exploring.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000516   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+