Stardock

Planetary Resources Inc

By on April 24, 2012 2:02:22 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

LORD-ORION

Join Date 04/2009
+51

History in the making... a company that is about to begin "real" asteroid mining work.

http://www.planetaryresources.com/technology/

Watching the live announcement stream right now, it's pretty fantastic stuff.

9 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 24, 2012 2:36:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Generally speaking, when the guys running a thing aren't anywhere near their field of expertise, they're gonna get their asteroids kicked.

These guys look like they know a good deal, but the money guys know nothing at all.

I hope they succeed... because the spin off stuff alone will be worth a great deal. I just really wonder how they know which ones to mine, and when all is said and done, in order for it to make money, it'll have to price stuff below what it'd cost here on earth. Not clear to me how that will come about. Just about everything tied to something like this will probably cost a zillion.

April 24, 2012 3:06:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Haven't they watched any movies at all!? Space miners are always the first ones to die when drilling in unknown places!

April 24, 2012 3:46:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Asteroids are what's left over after the solar system formed. So....what we have here on earth also exists on or in those asteroids but in quantities that dwarf by several orders of magnitude anything we have here. Mining them can make those individuals obscenely rich and well worth the cost of developing machines to take 'em there.

April 24, 2012 4:11:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I liked the bit about all the platinum that's ever been mined on Earth would fill a basketball court waist high and one platinum-rich 500 meter long asteroid would have enough to fill up that same basketball court 4 times the height of the rim. The real key here would be the mining water and being able to process it into rocket propellant on the spot. Also, I get to imagine being an ice pirate in space.

April 24, 2012 4:33:07 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I feel like this might be a viral advertising Prometheus. 

That said, interesting stuff at the very least. 

April 24, 2012 4:34:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This excites me. It's a long time in coming that someone should commit to this. It is inevitable. Earth peoples will need off planet resource. Either that or we learn alchemy and transmutation. Is good to explore off planet. We are bound to find new elements and ores. New building blocks for humans to play with. 

April 24, 2012 4:52:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

They could do this a lot cheaper by just waiting until one hits the planet instead of all that flying around.

April 24, 2012 5:00:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

One hits the planet.......about six miles in diameter. The one that hit the Gulf of Mexico was approximately that size and it caused a nuclear winter, helped the dinos go extinct and give rise to us mammals. The only ones left to play with the stuff left over will be roaches and ants. Not my idea of a good time.

April 24, 2012 11:48:37 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

This is the future--if we are going to have one.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000672   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+