Stardock.com ‚Äč

Military Space Stations

Air /Space superiority?

By on April 16, 2012 7:36:02 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

arcangle003

Join Date 01/2009

I Was, like usual, playing an immense universe and had setup a wall of military space stations to partition my side to my opponents but the enemy ships can just go right through is there some option or command that I have looked over that will make the military space stations defend their territory?

9 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 16, 2012 7:57:50 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Military Starbases do not defend your territory like turrets. But they can help you defend by providing attack and defense bonuses to nearby ships. Just add attack and defense modules like Protection Fields and Missile Launchpads and watch your weakest ships become mighty strong!

April 16, 2012 10:51:30 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Also, there's a Warp Disruptors module and stuff to slow those ships down.

June 28, 2013 4:44:03 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

does anyone know if there are plans on making military space stations more defensive because they seem very useless unless u have a fleet of secondary fighters or battle ships which if I spend the resources on a bigger fleet instead of constructors I could  end up with a better chance of deffening my space.  Rather I mean that, is there plans on making defending a system or sector easier than just sending fleets out to defend ur space. Because I had stations by my planets but they did nothing to hinder or slow the taking of the planet so I spent over fourty constructors to build a military apace station that does nothing but hinder or support flight or the status of other ships which are mostly offered by the other stations :'(

Am I the only one that thinks that they are worthless as is or am I missing something

June 28, 2013 6:05:15 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting arcangle003,

-snip-

Quoting dnzrx1,

Military Starbases do not defend your territory like turrets. But they can help you defend by providing attack and defense bonuses to nearby ships. Just add attack and defense modules like Protection Fields and Missile Launchpads and watch your weakest ships become mighty strong!

What he said.

June 28, 2013 8:50:08 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Military starbases can be tricky in GalCiv 2.

1. The first problem is how they work. Military starbase modules affect individual ships. The bonuses to attack and defense apply once per ship, not once per fleet. So if you have a fleet of 5 attack ships, and have a military starbase that applies +3 to laser attack and +1 to missile defense, then the whole fleet would get +15 to laser attack and +5 to missile defense. It should be noted that ships need to have some attack rating to get attack bonuses, and some defense rating to get defense bonuses. Constructors and transports without guns are not affected (unless you redesign them so they have guns).

2. The second problem is the techs needed to provide military starbase modules can be difficult to get. Either they are scattered amongst many different techs, or they are lumped together behind a bunch of unrelated techs that get expensive before you can research a tree of military starbase modules. If you were to look at the Terran tech tree (Twilight expansion), you would be able to see that there are 3 notable techs before military starbase modules: Starbase Fortification 1 (400 rp), Starbase Fortification 2 (1000 rp), and Starbase Fortification 3 (4000 rp). Once you have those, you can start researching techs like Starbase Militarization (500 rp) to research new military starbase modules to add to you military starbases.

3. The third problem is that military starbase modules work best with large fleets composed of smaller cheap ships. If you are used to using fleets by themselves, you are probably used to using powerful, larger, expensive ships to make your fleets powerful. The reason why you want to use smaller cheap ships is, the bonuses apply to each ships (like a bonus of +5 attack would apply once to each ship) and cheap ships with primitive weapons can benefit from extremely advanced military starbase modules. A fleet of 20 ships with 1 attack each getting a +5 bonus to lasers from a military starbase is going to have ( (1+5) * 20) 120 attack. So it pays to use overwhelming numbers. Cheap ships are quicker to produce so its easier to get overwhelming numbers.

4. The fourth problem is a numbers game. Smaller cheaper ships are usually easily killed so you need many extra to serve as replacements, and you need to build a lot of constructors to build up your military starbases. If you intend to use military starbases well, you would do well to focus your strategies on the production of a large number of ships for combat, researching logistics, and building up a large number of constructors so you can quickly build and develop new military starbases in hostile territory.

Quoting arcangle003,
does anyone know if there are plans...

There are no plans... period. GalCiv 2 no longer gets any updates. The devs made it clear that they were moving on to new projects a few years back. If anyone does anything, it most likely would be the modders. However, I don't think any code exists to allow military starbases to directly attack enemy fleets so they probably can't modify the game to get military starbases to do what you want.

Quoting arcangle003,
Am I the only one that thinks that they are worthless as is or am I missing something

I usually don't use military starbases. I don't think they are worth while so I haven't mastered their use. I might be tempted to play a few games using military starbases as my main strategy to see if its possible to win using them. Though I think there is a point where the dominant strategy is to switch to large fleets composed of larger ships using advanced weapons.

June 29, 2013 12:55:14 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Most of the time you may want to use them defensely, esp. when you're kinda overhelmed with war and the enemy is too strong for your fleets to survive a direct attack.

Find out where he/they are going to attack, built bases there. Wait for him. You may want to have enough miniaturization and also planetary production to get a single tiny constructor out each turn. Once a certain amount ship-support is reached, alternate to produce cheap 1att 1def tiny fighter, although if the mps are enough could be any ship, just that it is important to get at least one ship per turn.

This will boost your military might far better than producing strong warships and will help you diplomatically.

Sometimes fleets packed full of tiny fighters are a means to victory, esp. against single very strong hardhitting ships like the dreadlords, as they can only destroy one ship per round. This will prolong the fight and the rest of your ships will do lots of damage. (ignore defenses in this scenario entirely)

Another point is that this way of doing war is pretty econnomically. The big downside is that starbases cannot move or attack by themselves (would be really fun if they could) as well as solo starbases are rather weak and oftentimes targeted by the AI.

If you're playing with Yor or a custom race that has their superability the -2 shipsspeed module and the ones giving you additional speed are absolutely fantastic. You can slow enemy fleets to 1 speed and outmanoveur them easily even without having engines on your ships.

I remember one game on suicidal I had to do this and turn the game basically into a stalemete because the Altarians had completely outresearched everybody and were unbeatable until I caught up. As I had only some basic research into weapons/hulls/speed (which you can leave out, esp. weapons take pretty long, this will negate completely your techcost of starbase/minia/fleets) I took this also to an offensive approach.

Invading their systems with fleets of constructors and tiny fighters, getting my military starbases up there, then destroying the defenders, invading planets. (the starbases from that point on serve defensively as new worlds usually can't stand an invasion). Only concern is that you're getting intercepted so you definitely need some engines and sensor ships.

What you also can do it to pair your tiny fighter fleets with a flagship that is build around absorbing the enemies attack. The intention is to protect your tiny ships and cash in on the fire power they get from the starbases, if you do it correctly the flagship should always survive and overtime become pretty strong.

June 29, 2013 1:52:03 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Maiden, only one issue with that strategy...it requires a strong economy to support the increase in maintenance costs for star-bases and massive fighter fleets.

that is not easy to get without being the TA because they start with market centers in ToTA and no one else does.

June 29, 2013 2:16:32 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

not really.... huge hulled warships take way more maintenance as well as these ships are precious and costly you have to stick with em.

tiny fighters can easily upgraded into tiny constructors or <whatever> so you simply don't keep them in times of peace. the same with the starbases. starbase maint is not an issue really but once you get past the initial ones you have to pay a hefty fee everytime you build a new one, and that's precisely why you destroy them on your inner core worlds.

June 29, 2013 6:13:27 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting DivineWrath,
If anyone does anything, it most likely would be the modders.

We already did. In my mod, for example, the second problem you mentioned no longer exists, because I combined the Starbase Fortification and Starbase Militarization techs.

I also fixed another problem with the military modules. In the vanilla game, the military modules that get unlocked by weapons techs all have the previous module as prerequisite (e.g., you need Laser Equalizer in order to use Hyper-Phasors). However, not all of the races have access to all of the necessary technologies. This means, that they can't use those modules, unless they trade for the necessary tech. I fixed this by simply removing those modules and making the ones from the Starbase Militarization techs a little stronger. A reduction of starbase modules was necessary anyhow due to the 100 modules limitation of the AI.

Quoting Maiden666,
Sometimes fleets packed full of tiny fighters are a means to victory, esp. against single very strong hardhitting ships like the dreadlords, as they can only destroy one ship per round.

Depends on what game you are playing. In TotA, for example, the Dread Lords (or any other race, for that matter) can destroy as many ships as they have weapons on board, as long as they have shots left after destroying one ship.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000281   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+