Stardock
Stardock Closed for the Holidays
Jan 5, 2015 8:45

Stardock's offices will be closed in observance of the holiday season from December 19th until January 5th, 2015.

During this time there will be a delay in answering support tickets, so we ask for your patience during the holiday period.  While we will keep tabs on the tickets during the break, we will respond to them as quickly as possible upon our return.  

On behalf of the Stardock staff we wish you a happy holiday season and look forward to the new year!

[suggestion] It's only a beta

By on April 13, 2012 10:56:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

myosin2p

Join Date 05/2011
+8

So I know there have been mixed reactions on Stardock delaying the beta. And they say they want to delay the beta until it's where they want it. But it's just a beta! Why not release it now, and then patch it in a week? Why not just keep releasing betas, then patching them every so often as things get tweaked and bugs get quashed?

It's been about 2 months since the last beta release, and, from what I can tell, the devs have responded largely to the feedback from a month ago. What's happened in the past month hasn't been very new-- it's the same old issues, but issues that exist only in a version long left behind by the devs. Let's see what's actually going on! If it's rough around the edges, then no pressure, we'll know that it's a beta. Not only that, but a beta still months out from its release. We'll have something interesting to play with, and the devs will actually get useful feedback from us. It's win-win.

18 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 14, 2012 12:05:27 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Because then its a waste of their time.  They would have to spend the week sifting between new bugs and bugs that they'd already fixed.  Much better to release a version where they know exactly where it's at.

April 14, 2012 1:13:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm getting the impression that SD is concerned about putting out a buggy beta, and then having folks blast the game saying it's no better then WOM.

I think they are going too far in the other direction, I have no incentive to play .86, and a big part of my enjoyment of SD products has been the beta process and getting the new stuff in. 

April 14, 2012 6:07:51 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The frog once said that it was quit a bit of work to finalize and publish a beta version. I can see why they dont want to do that this week and the next, just to make us happy. They will take their good time on this one, and quality control takes first priority. I am disappointed too, as I love this game and play it as a released game more than a beta, Still I fully understand that we have to wait.

April 14, 2012 6:24:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

They are depending on betas to form public impressions of the game.

However, given how long we still have in development (game release is eta this fall), I don't really buy that argument too much. You can't both say that it forms public impressions, and keep saying how it is so far away from release - eat your cookie or keep it.

That is not to say that I can't imagine legit reasons for keeping beta back from release. Bugs like constant crashes, obvious gameplay pitfalls, and straight up missing (delayed) content.

Meh. Any ETA is an ETA. They'll have to judge for themselves.

April 14, 2012 10:24:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

As much as I absolutely hate seeing the beta delayed I have to say it is kinda important to deliver a good, working, version. If they release one with lots of known bugs they will get unnecessary bug reports to sort trough, wasting everyones time. If they release one which crashes it is both going to piss people off and make it harder to bug test. It is so much better that the beta is working as intended so we can test it properly and avoid frustration.

April 14, 2012 10:39:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The hole point of beta is to find bugs. Polishing beta's are a wast of resorces.

April 14, 2012 10:52:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting FrostyThundertrod,
The hole point of beta is to find bugs. Polishing beta's are a wast of resorces.

These sentences make no sense. How can the point of a beta be finding bugs, and at the same time it is a waste of resources to fix bugs?

To me, this situation appears fairly easy to understand. They have a version of the game. They know of a series of bugs that will take about a week to fix. They delay it a week. Why release a version with bugs they know of? Why not delay it, and fix them before the release?

April 14, 2012 10:54:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The hole point of beta is to find bugs.

It's not the whole point.

The point is to give feedback in all it's forms.  If the entire beta is used for bug squashing, then when would the gameplay and features get worked in?

April 14, 2012 3:22:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

There's no point in releasing a beta where reports would be dominated with bugs we are already aware of.

April 14, 2012 4:36:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
There's no point in releasing a beta where reports would be dominated with bugs we are already aware of.

And inevitably half or more of the responses would then be spent pointing out just how buggy the results are.  All of which would get in the way of the real business, assessing changes to the features, balance, and design of the game.

Take the time, do it right.

April 14, 2012 6:57:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Also, many people are waiting for a solid beta release before jumping in the pool. I know there were at least a few game reviewers that said as much about beta 3. 

April 14, 2012 8:36:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I can still promise that beta 3 will be plenty buggy.

April 15, 2012 1:49:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Frogs love bugs - Yummy!

April 15, 2012 4:09:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

You could include a list of known bugs and issues with a beta release. Of course, no everyone would read it and then you'd still be dealing with lots of useless forum posts.

April 16, 2012 9:04:49 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

How do you know that it is a "waste of resources" do you even know what your talking about? I doubt that you do. The SD devs are the only ones that will know if they are as you say ""wasting resources."

April 16, 2012 9:07:16 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
I can still promise that beta 3 will be plenty buggy.

As long as they are "Fun Buggy" that is all that counts

April 16, 2012 1:59:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Bellack,
How do you know that it is a "waste of resources" do you even know what your talking about? I doubt that you do. The SD devs are the only ones that will know if they are as you say ""wasting resources."

This reminds me of a few weeks ago when Brad mentioned how releasing a beta took alot of resources they need to be spending on the game. 

April 16, 2012 2:09:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting seanw3,

This reminds me of a few weeks ago when Brad mentioned how releasing a beta took alot of resources they need to be spending on the game. 

I did a fairly elaborate mod for Oblivion--not heavy tweakers with new content like your excellent ones for WoM, just adding a bunch of new purchaseable content with additional scripted options.  If at any time I'd been asked to supply a beta, I'd have had to take time out to finish up a lot of object creation and remove things that were in progress but definitely didn't work, in order to get what I had to the mod's audience.  Might have required a few days' effort, at least.  Definitely wouldn't have been fun.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000563   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+