Stardock

Constant Crashing

By on March 12, 2012 10:46:58 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Scudhawk

Join Date 04/2008
+15

I can't seem to get through a single map. I've only tried a few small / medium maps ( 1v1 / 2v2 size). There's no lag or distortions at all just the sudden freeze with the mini dump message. I already sent in my save files to stardock since the mini dump files are to large to attach. I looked through the current known bug list and don't see anything I can avoid, so are there any suggestions? All drivers up to date.

Specs

Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4Ghz Unlocked LGA1155 CPU  (overclocked)

PNY GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1024MB GDDR5 PCIe   (overclocked)

(295.73) Nvidia Driver  

Corsair Vengeance 8GB PC12800 DDR3 1600MHz CL9 2x4

pagefile size 8gb

WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA HD 7200/64MB/SATA-6G

ASUS P8P67 Pro REV 3 Intel P67 LGA1155 

Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe

10 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 12, 2012 11:20:58 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

First try to play without overclocking... with sins putting all the load on a single core, it is very possible that the core is overhitting, creating instability for the game...

March 12, 2012 11:31:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It seems unlikely since the mobo "stable" clocked it and it is water cooled. I'll give it a try thanks.

March 13, 2012 12:16:58 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Didn't change anything, TM shows it as 8 logical cores and 4 physical, when in heavy combat (at least 200 ships) it shows total CPU usage at 10-15. The process also hovers from 1.1k to 1.5k in terms of memory usage so I have no idea what's wrong.

March 13, 2012 4:13:02 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

buy a crappier computer.

March 13, 2012 4:25:58 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I actually have similar specs (except 570GTX and 16gb RAM) and I pretty much never get crashing (except for the titan auto-levelup bug). Also I have pagefile turned off.

March 13, 2012 4:35:14 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Scudhawk,
Didn't change anything, TM shows it as 8 logical cores and 4 physical, when in heavy combat (at least 200 ships) it shows total CPU usage at 10-15. The process also hovers from 1.1k to 1.5k in terms of memory usage so I have no idea what's wrong.

You clocked it back to the default clocks (both CPU and GPU) and it keeps crashing? What version of Windows do you use?

March 13, 2012 5:03:49 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

How constant is your constant crashing?  If you can get a large fleet battle going, it sounds more like you're just running into a seldom struck code oops, which are common in beta software.

If you don't want to play bugs, you're better off waiting for release.  At which point it "should" be stable.

March 13, 2012 5:35:40 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting psychoak,
If you don't want to play bugs, you're better off waiting for release.  At which point it "should" be stable.

Believe me or not, sins dev have certainly more interest in case like these from Scudhawk that from people where everything is right...

remember the launch of the original sins... where some people with Nvidia card was having problem, where people with vista have need some MS kb for correct problem, etc...

Beta testing is not only about finding bug but finding and correct incompatibility with other software or/and driver... The OP guy is not complaining about the beta, he ask help for solve his problem... If everybody with problems need to wait for the official release, problems will never be resolved... beta is the right time for speak about problem, after release it is nothing more that damage control... very bad thing for the game reputation...

March 13, 2012 10:33:45 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Windows 7 x64 professional

And that's right, I'm not complaining about the minidump's, I'm looking for solutions. I'll try dropping the overclock on my videocard next.

@ psych It varies, I have a file that reaches about an hour and a half and it's 4 players. The other one reaches about 25 minutes and it's 2 players. There's no particular thing that is happening that I can pinpoint what's causing it.

March 13, 2012 3:11:55 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Turning off the video card overclock seems to have done the trick so far, I'm 2 hours into a 1v1 with no problems yet. I'll finish a few maps and at least post that that was indeed the issue. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000422   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+