Stardock

I don't understand why this is exists, this problem with Fences.

By on March 12, 2012 2:49:01 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

grumich

Join Date 02/2003

Intermittently, I get an error from Fences: "Fences has detected that Explorer was not closed properly. As a precaution Fences has been temporarily disabled. I run Fences on three machines, two running 64 bit Win 7, one on XP. The Win 7 systems suffer this problem. What bugs me is that only the Win 7 systems have this problem, but there's no diagnostic information that I can troubleshoot from. Searching, I find this problem isn't uncommon, and I've tried everything I can think of to resolve it, but I'm working with "blinders on." I've written code for more than 30 years (engineer) and I see two solutions: First, don't trap that exception or failure; keep working. Two, fix the code, Explorer is running just fine. No reason for this "precaution." And when this "error" message comes up, I try to re-enable it as it tells me, but it never works. I have to reboot and it's just a flip of the coin to see if that fixes it. Like I said, this problem seems to be common, so I wonder why it hasn't been fixed yet.

3 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 12, 2012 8:04:18 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Like I said, this problem seems to be common, so I wonder why it hasn't been fixed yet.

Common?

Last check, I have Fences on 3 systems running Win 7 64,  none of whom has issues....

I've never had an error from Fences.

March 12, 2012 8:29:01 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Contact support.  We'll see what we can do.

March 12, 2012 8:43:01 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If you get that message it is highly likely explorer has crashed.  Unlike most processes explorer restarts itself after a crash so it is not always obvious.

Fences has this code in order to protect against the risk of a bug in fences itself resulting in explorer crashing over and over and thus to the non expert user appearing to have broken the machine.

Your event log may indicate why explorer is crashing.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000203   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+