Stardock

And a Start8 Clasic menu?

By on March 6, 2012 2:03:52 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

arrobiton

Join Date 02/2007
+1

Many people likes metro interface, but also may people don't, or like both metro and "old-style" start menus, So, could it be possible for Stardock to program an alternate version of Start8 looking like the Windows 7 Start Menu?

One of the features of the Win7 Start Menu that I most use is the posibility to pin a program to the start menu, and then use the most recent used docs list that appears when I move the mouse pointer to that pinned app. This is not present on the metro style interfaces, and I miss it.

There are many people there that wants to maintain the win7 start menu, so all of them wil be grateful if you provide them with it.

15 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 6, 2012 4:37:50 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I too would love to see a Windows 7 style Start Menu for Windows 8 (in addition to the Metro style Start Menu you have created).

March 6, 2012 8:07:23 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Congratulations! You have just created Windows 7.5! 

March 7, 2012 6:14:47 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I don't really see how putting the start menu back put's windows 'back' to win7.5.

Win8 is much better in alot of respects(except the lack of a start menu).I love it otherwise,(besides the bland 'start' background)You can change the background to normal in gpedit.msc from solid,but doesn't seem to work.

I don't see the big deal of having even similar to what stardock has done,but customisable to your own proggies as i don't use half of them on start8.

March 7, 2012 7:49:25 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Flybarless,
Congratulations! You have just created Windows 7.5! 

March 8, 2012 8:40:52 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Many people likes metro interface, but also may people don't, or like both metro and "old-style" start menus, So, could it be possible for Stardock to program analternate version of Start8 looking like the Windows 7 Start Menu?

Totaly agree!

All the dumb poeple ignoring users needs are damned.

Let the user choose what to do and how to do.

Vote for startorb and classic menu.

March 8, 2012 11:33:37 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

When I installed Start8, I was hoping to the Classic Start Menu.

I was admittedly rather disappointed to see the Metro Start Menu pop-up.

If the Classic Start Menu cannot be enabled through Start8, there is no point in using Start8.

I have uninstalled Start8 and reverted to the one application that has come the closest to restoring the Classic Start Menu; VistaStartMenu.

March 9, 2012 1:13:53 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

http://lee-soft.com/vistart/

Check it out if it's the classic start bar you're after. It even responds to the windows key. God I hate apps. Seriously, what is the point of full screen apps where you can only interact with one program at a time. I thought the product was called 'Windows' & that its strengths were in multitasking!

March 9, 2012 10:33:02 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

ViStart does not work properly, and it tries to install a couple of highly questionable extra applications which some might even call malware.

March 9, 2012 11:13:11 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

But ViStart is the only app we have now that gives us something like a start menu. Really, it lacks many features, but it's better than nothing.

What I hoped was to have a real classic start menu with all the features it has on Windows 7, developed by Stardock. And this, without removing the Windows 8 start page. Both can coexist, as ViStart proves.

March 9, 2012 3:09:40 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting arrobiton,
But ViStart is the only app we have now that gives us something like a start menu. Really, it lacks many features, but it's better than nothing.

Wrong.

Obviously, you did not read my earlier post.

But, do what you want, it is your PC.

March 11, 2012 1:51:43 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I did, but I misunderstood ViStart and VistaStartMenu was the same. Thanks, I will try it.

March 11, 2012 10:26:18 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

thank you so much,this is the great idea

March 11, 2012 7:07:00 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

There is an updated version called Start Menu 7.

March 12, 2012 2:32:42 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I've installed the last version of Start Menu 7 and it looks nice.

March 14, 2012 10:30:34 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Can you make an option to start8, so the taskbar is visible when you are in full screen Metro?

Something like this: http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8-a-comprimise-for-desktops-users-is-needed

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0002422   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+