Stardock

Why do we need to register our game to Stardock account on every PC?

By on March 4, 2012 4:34:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

acare84

Join Date 01/2009
+7

So Rebellion is using Steamworks as a DRM and it needs Steam to run. So why do we need to register our game to our Stardock account on every computer? I know that process is really quick but some people has problem with it. Also why do you need another DRM, isn't Steam enough? I hope you will remove it in future because I think we don't need it. Finally is there limited activations for the game?

1 Reply
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 4, 2012 4:48:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

From what I've heard, Stardock's activation system is a rolling period, with more activations than you would legitimately need.  It's supposed to have been designed specifically for "I found activation key x on site y and installed it just like the other hundred thousand pirates" situations.  Which would explain why I have never heard of anyone actually hitting it, including people that had lan parties and installed it on a dozen plus machines.

After whatever period it is they use, your activations will refresh, so even should you frequently need to reactivate, the limit is never reached.

Perhaps they're future proofing for a world without Steam?

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000094   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+