Stardock

What versions of the programs actually come with Object Desktop?

By on February 22, 2012 5:08:37 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

MC0NRAD8

Join Date 11/2007

Hi there,

I've been a fan of Stardock's products for YEARS, and now I'd like to finally purchase Object Desktop. However, does this come with the latest versions of EVERY product within the collection? For example, does it come with WindowBlinds 7 and the WindowFX 5 Beta? Also, if it does come with the latest versions, would the WindowFX 5 Beta be upgraded to the full release once released?

I'd just like to have confirmation before buying, as a couple of the links on this site regarding the contents of Object Desktop direct me to older versions of certain products.

Thanks!

Miles

27 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 22, 2012 5:18:50 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Usually ODNT come with the latest versions. Betas would be listed. Go here ... top left.

http://stardock.com/store

February 22, 2012 6:56:03 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yes, you will have the latest versions available and while your subscription is active you will get all updates and new versions if/when available.

February 23, 2012 1:08:39 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Uvah,
Usually ODNT come with the latest versions. Betas would be listed. Go here ... top left.

Quoting Island Dog,
Yes, you will have the latest versions available and while your subscription is active you will get all updates and new versions if/when available.

Thanks a lot you two for your fast and informative replies! I will now happily purchase the collection and can't wait to feast on its delights

February 23, 2012 1:11:31 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Welcome to the community MC0NRAD8. 

February 23, 2012 5:26:11 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thank you! I'm having a helluva lot of fun with all these fantastic products

February 23, 2012 5:35:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If you have any trouble ask here or hit up support@stardock.com

February 23, 2012 5:48:31 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

MC0NRAD8 - When you do get the subscription, make sure to archive the apps, including any time you update (do it on an ext. drive).

February 24, 2012 8:47:43 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
MC0NRAD8 - When you do get the subscription, make sure to archive the apps, including any time you update (do it on an ext. drive).

Or better yet, go for the cloud option.  Dropbox, Skydrive, Wuala, etc...

March 10, 2012 8:21:18 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Sorry to pseudo revive this... but does that link imply that ObjectDesktop does NOT come with CursorFX or ObjectDock? (Long Time Fan, Contemplating Purchasing)

March 10, 2012 8:30:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Shimizoki,
but does that link imply that ObjectDesktop does NOT come with CursorFX or ObjectDock?

ObjectDesktop does not come with CursorFX nor ObjectDock.

What comes in ObjectDesktop is listed here - http://www.stardock.com/products/odnt/information.asp

There is a free version of CursorFX - http://www.stardock.com/products/cursorfx/downloads.asp and also ObjectDock - http://www.stardock.com/products/objectdock/

The paid versions have more features.

March 10, 2012 8:39:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Hankers,

Quoting Shimizoki, reply 9but does that link imply that ObjectDesktop does NOT come with CursorFX or ObjectDock?

ObjectDesktop does not come with CursorFX nor ObjectDock.

What comes in ObjectDesktop is listed here - http://www.stardock.com/products/odnt/information.asp

There is a free version of CursorFX - http://www.stardock.com/products/cursorfx/downloads.asp and also ObjectDock - http://www.stardock.com/products/objectdock/

The paid versions have more features.

Thank you for the quick response,

I have known about the free versions (more features = better... sometimes). However in the first link you provided it states:

"In addition Object Desktop users get a host of other programs to enhance Windows such as DesktopX, WindowFX, IconDeveloper, SoundPackager, Keyboard LaunchPad, and more."

It's the "and more" that had me wondering... Is there actually more? I can't seem to find anywhere where there is a definitive list (there is a list in several places, all of them display different contents.)

March 10, 2012 8:47:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Two more that you get that come to mind immediately are DeskScapes and registered Tiles beta.

(never mind, I see they're listed on the link, I was looking at your post list)

March 11, 2012 3:42:14 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

So I just found ANOTHER link with even more stuff mentioned that isnt on the other pages.

https://store.stardock.com/product/ESD-SDS-W011

http://www.stardock.com/products/odnt/purchase.asp

http://www.stardock.com/products/odnt/information.asp

Between these 3 links I am expecting to get:

DesktopX
Deskscapes
Fences Pro
Icon Developer/Packager
Keyboard Launchpad
Logon Studio
Right Click
Skin Studio
Sound Packager
Theme Manager
Tiles
Tweak 7
WindowBlinds
WindowFX 

Can Anyone confirm this? I would be quite dissapointed to purchase a package and it not contain the advertised products.

March 11, 2012 4:12:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I am not convinced about RightClick or Keyboard Launchpad being in ObjectDesktop any longer.  The store info seems to be very old as it mentions WindowFX only supporting Windows XP and this has not been the case since WFX4 was released and we are now onto WFX5 betas.

I will find out and update this thread on Monday.

March 11, 2012 4:17:13 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,
I am not convinced about RightClick or Keyboard Launchpad being in ObjectDesktop any longer.  The store info seems to be very old as it mentions WindowFX only supporting Windows XP and this has not been the case since WFX4 was released and we are now onto WFX5 betas.

I will find out and update this thread on Monday.

I did notice that the site seemed to be quite out of date in some cases. But these things happen when you have 20 products all being updated constantly.

Thank you for looking into this matter for me.

March 11, 2012 4:21:12 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Shimizoki -

It's a bit more nuanced than that.  A few of the previously included and still listed apps have become 'legacy' apps by virtue of OS updates/changes and are no longer being actively developed: IconX, ObjectBar, RightClick, LogonStudio, TweakVista and WebBlinds.  One nice recent change to the MyDownloads page in the Stardock Store is that these legacy apps are now clearly identified as such.  One included app not listed above is DreamMaker (for DeskScapes).

The message is that the majority of the apps included work for XP/Vista/7 (with variable functionality in some cases depending on OS) and are a great bargain when purchased as the OD package - I wouldn't condition my purchase decision on any one listed app unless it is 'the' reason you want to purchase OD.

EDIT -

One of the difficulties is that what's available and 'included' in Object Desktop appears at least partially to depend on when you purchased it.  If I had first purchased OD yesterday, as opposed to say 6 years ago, I'm not sure what would be listed as available on the MyDownloads page.

March 11, 2012 8:36:18 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Daiwa,
It's a bit more nuanced than that.  A few of the previously included and still listed apps have become 'legacy' apps by virtue of OS updates/changes and are no longer being actively developed: IconX, ObjectBar, RightClick, LogonStudio, TweakVista and WebBlinds.  One nice recent change to the MyDownloads page in the Stardock Store is that these legacy apps are now clearly identified as such.  One included app not listed above is DreamMaker (for DeskScapes).

The message is that the majority of the apps included work for XP/Vista/7 (with variable functionality in some cases depending on OS) and are a great bargain when purchased as the OD package - I wouldn't condition my purchase decision on any one listed app unless it is 'the' reason you want to purchase OD.

Yea, I noticed that some of them seemed to be such, but they were not labled so on the website. Others say that they work with windows 7 and lead you to believe they are still being updated. When I first used Object Desktop, 5 years ago, it had several features that were amazing that may or may not still exist in the package.

What I am really looking for is:

WindowBlinds
Tweak7
Icon Developer/Packager
Fences
Keyboard Launchpad
Skin Studio
Sound Packager
WindowFX
CursorFX 

As you can see, The majority of the known items in the package are there... however others such as Tweak, Keyboard Launchpad, and CursorFX(maybe) may or may not be. And its these three that I am looking for as well. I really would prefer to not have to shell out an additional $40 (maybe 60) for those programs. So it really is that any one of those is 'the' reason I want to purchase OD.

I could do without CursorFX, and I'm sure there is freeware that can do everything that Keyboard Launchpad and Tweak does. (I mostly want tweak for the moving of User files to another drive... doing it manually all the time is annoying as all get out. otherwise I'll use UWT) But I have been using stardock apps for a long time, I would like to continue because they have been kind to me in the past.

Quoting Daiwa,

One of the difficulties is that what's available and 'included' in Object Desktop appears at least partially to depend on when you purchased it.  If I had first purchased OD yesterday, as opposed to say 6 years ago, I'm not sure what would be listed as available on the MyDownloads page.

You hit the nail on the head with identifying my problem. What I know of OD is 5-6 years old. Thus what is mentioned now is entirely different, and different on every page.

March 11, 2012 9:00:18 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Keyboard Launchpad is still included in OD but RightClick is not - based on my just-now installation of the new SDC.

March 11, 2012 9:17:10 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Very cool, thank you for your help.

March 11, 2012 9:54:34 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Most welcome.

March 12, 2012 8:25:54 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

RightClick is no longer included in Object Desktop, as it is no longer in active development.  It shouldn't be on the page you mentioned, so I apologize for that.  I'm poking the web team about it now.

CursorFX and ObjectDock have always been separate products, so they are also not included.

The nature of Object Desktop is a bit liquid, and it changes as new programs are released, and old ones are no longer feasible, possible, or useful based on changes in Windows.  It's part of the reason it's a subscription model, rather than a purchase model.  It's easier to change with the times that way.

March 12, 2012 10:48:30 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Rosco_P,
RightClick is no longer included in Object Desktop, as it is no longer in active development.  It shouldn't be on the page you mentioned, so I apologize for that.  I'm poking the web team about it now.

CursorFX and ObjectDock have always been separate products, so they are also not included.

The nature of Object Desktop is a bit liquid, and it changes as new programs are released, and old ones are no longer feasible, possible, or useful based on changes in Windows.  It's part of the reason it's a subscription model, rather than a purchase model.  It's easier to change with the times that way.

Thank you for the info, could you please explain what you mean by Subscription model? Does this mean If I purchase OD and in a month you guys change whats in it, then it gives me free access to anything new you added, but no longer have access to re download-update something that was removed? (Or am I thinking about this in all the wrong way?)

March 12, 2012 11:08:13 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Shimizoki,
Does this mean If I purchase OD and in a month you guys change whats in it, then it gives me free access to anything new you added, but no longer have access to re download-update something that was removed?
You get to keep everything that was offered while you are a subscriber.

March 12, 2012 11:36:41 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Very cool, now all I need to do is wait a tad for Neil to respond with what is currently in the Package. Then see if the few programs I am looking for are currently in it. (Or hope someone will accidently tip me off to if they will be available in the near future). .

March 12, 2012 11:37:57 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Zubaz,
You get to keep everything that was offered while you are a subscriber.

Correct me if I am wrong and I will remove my post.

Doc said to make sure you archieve. Here is the reason for that. If you signed up for a one year subscription you are entitled to receive any new software and updates during that time that are included with Object Desktop. If you choose not to renew and you have to reformat or purchase a new computer you can install the programs you purchased and had for the year you were a subscriber but not any new ones or updates. They will work on the same OS you are using now but if it's a different one and updates were needed to make them work you won't be able to update unless you subscribe again.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001391   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+