Stardock

Computer-generated ship types

By on February 19, 2012 8:42:56 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

CaImar

Join Date 11/2009

Hi!

I really like the way the core ships work in TOA. They look awesome in comparison to the ones from DL and they are actually useful now, being automatically upgraded when a new tech is researched.

However, there is one thing that bothers me a bit: 

In some games when I, let's say, have Large ships armed with beam weaponry (Destroyer-class) and then put the focus on missile weapons (Battleship-class) in the shipyard-screen, I can still retain the old destroyer design, resulting in something like "Destroyer M5" and "Battleship M1" in the list of the shipyard-screen. This is cool, because it allows me to produce differently ships the same size, but with different armament at the same time.

In other games, upon developing new primary weaponry, all the older designs are deleted, thus resulting in something like "Battleship M6" being the first type of Large missile ship with the "Destroyers" being completely gone from the list. This is not so good.

Also, sometimes "Defender" is the only small 3 Logistics-points ship available, with ships others not appearing (sorry, can't remember al the names of Tiny and Small ships, because it is only slightly annoying and Medium and Large ships usually form the heart of my fleet, the smaller ones being mostly unimportant).

Can anyone please tell me what I need to do in order for obsolete computer core ship types to remain available for construction? Thanks!

8 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 22, 2012 4:24:39 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Can anyone please tell me what I need to do in order for obsolete computer core ship types to remain available for construction? Thanks!

Sorry to say that, but you can't. The computer designed ships will always be replaced with the newest version and are only available for the current game.

You need to design the ships yourself, if you want to use them in different games and don't want them to become automatically obsolete.

February 24, 2012 4:32:48 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Designing the ships yourself is relatively painless anyway.

I tend to design tiny hulls with just one weapon and enough life support to keep up with the rest of the fleet.  They don't last long under fire, but they're very cheap to make.

February 26, 2012 7:00:29 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Gaunathor,

quoting postCan anyone please tell me what I need to do in order for obsolete computer core ship types to remain available for construction? Thanks!
Sorry to say that, but you can't. The computer designed ships will always be replaced with the newest version and are only available for the current game.

You need to design the ships yourself, if you want to use them in different games and don't want them to become automatically obsolete.

Thanks for the replies!

What I mean is that I wish older computer-made designs to remain available within one game, not from one game to another. E.g. if I had the focus on missiles earlier but switch on mass drivers later on, I would like the (now obsolete) missile designs to remain available in the ship list, like this:

http://img260.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=299683797_ShipDesigns_122_119lo.jpg

You see, here there are two types of "Defender" fighters (mass and missile - though not obviously so, I admit) and two massive-scale titans, the obsolete "Excalibur" class and the new "Ranger" class ( the former armed with missiles, the latter armed with mass drivers, as per default). Although the "Ranger's" design has been updated two times to M3, the "Excalibur" M1 class has not been removed from the list in this case. In other games, I haven't been that lucky.

There has to be a reason why the obsolete designs sometimes remain, while other times they don't.

February 26, 2012 11:25:59 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Oh, well the easiest thing to do is to 'Upgrade' the one you want to keep, then change the name to one that isn't used by the auto-designer and save.  This should preserve the design for however long you need to hang onto it.

May 28, 2012 8:38:01 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I don't auto design I make my own

for me beam is the dominate weaponry and defense

however the base design never seems to appear in the build list like previous version

so I use the template

I also don't use tiny hull at all

why have a scout ship with hit points?

you can't stick hardly nothing on it

you can't effectively mini it

so I make a cargo hull my scout ship and load with engines and range

remove a range add a survey and you have survey ship

then when medium hull comes you can arm the survey ship that you started with

May 28, 2012 11:52:31 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Tiny hulls = 2 logistics points = great way to cram one ship with lots of sensors into the fleet.

Eyes of the Universe works too of course, but in my opinion that's available far too soon in the game.

June 29, 2012 12:51:11 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

research miniaturization techs, then tiny hulls get useful.

and logistics to increase fleet size.

July 1, 2012 8:39:27 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Tiny and small hulls can be used with great efficiency as I've had swarms of tiny and small class fighters running around that I had upgraded so they were carrying weapons,armour,shielding,warp/hyperwarp engines and had dozens in a single fleet and they were wiping the floor with enemy frigates and destroyers.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+