Stardock

WindowFX 5 Beta Feedback Thread

By on February 9, 2012 4:40:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Island Dog

Join Date 06/2003
+604

We will use this thread for feedback on the beta releases for WindowFX 5.

When posting an issue, please provide as much information as possible:

• OS
  • Version number of WFX
  • Detailed description of issue
  • Screenshot (if possible)
  • The graphics card(s) you have and the driver version if known
  • Your screen resolution

If you need to start a support ticket, please e-mail support@stardock.com or visit http://esupport.stardock.com/

Thank you for your help!

Pinned Post 191 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 22, 2012 11:58:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

My understanding is you can use WFX3 and WFX5 simultaneously.  Could use WFX3 for the shadows if you want.  Don't think shadows will be part of WFX5.

March 23, 2012 8:32:43 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Daiwa,
My understanding is you can use WFX3 and WFX5 simultaneously.  Could use WFX3 for the shadows if you want.  Don't think shadows will be part of WFX5
Exactly this.

March 23, 2012 12:27:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Not sure if this has been reported yet. On the 4.97 beta....on my system which has dual cards....on the monitor attached to the secondary card...

When I click and hold the top bar to drag a window, it disappears....but it reappears when & where I release the mouse button even if I release a on a different monitor. However, if I click and hold on one of the primary card monitors, it is still visible and showing effects when dragged even if onto the secondary card monitor. Clear as mud?

Not complaining...just informing. SO VERY happy it's working on my desktop.

March 23, 2012 12:50:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Lantec,
Not sure if this has been reported yet. On the 4.97 beta....on my system which has dual cards....on the monitor attached to the secondary card...

When I click and hold the top bar to drag a window, it disappears....but it reappears when & where I release the mouse button even if I release a on a different monitor. However, if I click and hold on one of the primary card monitors, it is still visible and showing effects when dragged even if onto the secondary card monitor. Clear as mud?

Not complaining...just informing. SO VERY happy it's working on my desktop.

Did you enable your additional monitor after bootup?

I would try a reboot.

March 23, 2012 2:00:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The monitor's working fine for all other references....it's the dragging windows that disappear not the monitor screen....I see the wallpaper or whatever's behind the dragged window fine.

edit: this might help...it's about 31 mb video of the issue http://dl.dropbox.com/u/58185807/Video%201.wmv

March 23, 2012 3:31:31 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

WFX5 beta 2,

Win 7 x64 on laptop

Screen res: 1920 x 1080 on external monitor

Outlook 2003

Hello,

One discovered "glitch"...

With WFX5 turned on the menus in Outlook don't appear, only the shadows do. Tried excluding outlook.exe but no change. As soon as WFX5 is turned off everything is back to normal. I'll try the rest of the Office 2003 suite and let you know these as well.

Tim

EDIT: With WFX5 beta 1 this problem didn't exist...

March 24, 2012 2:21:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

http://www.lri.fr/~dragice/foldndrop/

http://www.kmonos.net/lib/orimado.en.html

I'd just like to throw this out there as a suggestion for a possible feature in the new WindowFX. This is an old 'test' for a proposed management technique that could be done much, much better.

Great job with the application so far though guys. I've been running WindowFX5 for about a week and haven't had any nasty issues, just some filtering bugs with shadows when certain effects occur. (Wobbly Windows for example)

http://i.imgur.com/xhxUr.png

March 28, 2012 11:01:25 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Lantec,
The monitor's working fine for all other references....it's the dragging windows that disappear not the monitor screen....I see the wallpaper or whatever's behind the dragged window fine.

edit: this might help...it's about 31 mb video of the issue http://dl.dropbox.com/u/58185807/Video%201.wmv

I see this same issue while dragging the window from one monitor to my main screen (laptop screen). I've seen other threads within the forum that have been reporting similar issues.

Configuration: Lenovo W520

Version number of WFX: 5.0 beta 2
Detailed description of issue
Screenshot (if possible): Window disappears and the background remains when trying to drag from monitor to laptop monitor, but not the other way.
The graphics card(s) you have and the driver version if known: Dual mode with Intel and NVIDIA
Your screen resolution: Laptop is 1920x1080 monitor is 1280x1024

March 28, 2012 11:17:16 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Lantec,
edit: this might help...it's about 31 mb video of the issue http://dl.dropbox.com/u/58185807/Video%201.wmv[/quote]Nice video.

March 28, 2012 7:49:45 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Somewhere along the line, with the last update, I believe, flipped windows stopped displaying the proper icons. The were all ok before, with WB and IP in use. Icon Packager appeared to handle the icons fine. Now, even with WindowBlinds and IP reset to default, I get this. 

Version5.0 Beta 2 Win7/64

March 29, 2012 9:28:24 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Uninstall (not jsut disable) IP and see if anything changes

March 29, 2012 9:49:56 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Zubaz,
Uninstall (not jsut disable) IP and see if anything changes

Uh, thanks but no thanks.

Remember my ticket on IP?  If I can get it to uninstall, odds are, it won't reinstall. I had to do a full system restore from a backup image just to get IP working again. IP is working fine everywhere else so that's more trouble than it's worth.  I can live without the icons on the backside of the windows. I'll wait for further updates to WFX and/or IP and see if that fixes it.

Thing is, I'm sure it was working before  but have no idea when it went generic on me. To be honest, I don't flip the windows often.

Let's just call it an FYI for you and a NBD for me.

EDIT: However, if you have any suggestions short of uninstalling IP, I'm more than willing to try them. I think I will try a roll-back of WFX5 first.

March 29, 2012 10:14:45 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

There is a bug in IP which means it breaks the ability to obtain icons for an exe.

However the beta worked around that and I am unsure why the workaround is not working for you.

March 29, 2012 10:21:12 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,
There is a bug in IP which means it breaks the ability to obtain icons for an exe.

However the beta worked around that and I am unsure why the workaround is not working for you.

Thank you much for that info.   As I stated, the previous beta was working fine. I'll try a reinstall of the current beta and if that doesn't do it, I'll roll back. Either way, I'll let you know how it goes.

Edit: Uninstalled, ran CCleaner, rebooted, reinstalled 4.97, no help. Repeated with 4.96, same results.

It looks like I'll just have to wait for that IP bug to get squashed. 

March 29, 2012 4:50:11 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'd like to see a bit more customization for the wobby windows. I'd like to beable to adjust it's friction, and the amount of wobble. Is there even a way to do that? 

March 29, 2012 4:59:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting KoltonRamsey,
I'd like to see a bit more customization for the wobby windows. I'd like to be able to adjust it's friction, and the amount of wobble. Is there even a way to do that? 

You can find WindowFX_Scripting.doc in C:\Program Files (x86)\Stardock\Object Desktop\WindowFX

Using that and the scripts in C:\Program Files (x86)\Stardock\Object Desktop\WindowFX\Scripts the community has the opportunity to create many effects.

There used to be a group of people that made really interesting effects: http://www.wincustomize.com/explore/windowfx

Now is a good time to start again.  

March 29, 2012 10:28:12 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Zubaz,

Quoting KoltonRamsey, reply 115I'd like to see a bit more customization for the wobby windows. I'd like to be able to adjust it's friction, and the amount of wobble. Is there even a way to do that? 

You can find WindowFX_Scripting.doc in C:\Program Files (x86)\Stardock\Object Desktop\WindowFX

Using that and the scripts in C:\Program Files (x86)\Stardock\Object Desktop\WindowFX\Scripts the community has the opportunity to create many effects.

There used to be a group of people that made really interesting effects: http://www.wincustomize.com/explore/windowfx

So you're saying that in windowFX_Scripting.doc that I can customize the degree to which wobbly windows actually wobbles? Because the amount given by default is virtually nonexistent in comparison to the real wobbly windows on Compiz(which you can customize easily). Not that I'm comparing the two, I would just like the ability to edit the amount of which my windows wobble, or increase the the effect to be more "dramatic".  

March 30, 2012 7:45:21 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting KoltonRamsey,
So you're saying that in windowFX_Scripting.doc that I can customize the degree to which wobbly windows actually wobbles?
You can do more . . how much more?  I don't know.  Let's see what you come up with.

March 30, 2012 7:52:46 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting KoltonRamsey,

Quoting Zubaz,
reply 116

Quoting KoltonRamsey, reply 115I'd like to see a bit more customization for the wobby windows. I'd like to be able to adjust it's friction, and the amount of wobble. Is there even a way to do that? 

So you're saying that in windowFX_Scripting.doc that I can customize the degree to which wobbly windows actually wobbles? Because the amount given by default is virtually nonexistent in comparison to the real wobbly windows on Compiz(which you can customize easily). Not that I'm comparing the two, I would just like the ability to edit the amount of which my windows wobble, or increase the the effect to be more "dramatic".  

Zubaz is in error here.

The scripting applies to window animations such as open, close, minimize and restore.  The wobbly windows is not run as a script and as such has no ability to modify it.  We may consider enhancing this area going forward though.

March 30, 2012 7:56:13 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Me?  Wrong?  Yep.  

Sorry for mis-informing.

March 30, 2012 8:11:45 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting KoltonRamsey,
I would just like the ability to edit the amount of which my windows wobble, or increase the the effect to be more "dramatic".

I'd like to see it adjustable to the point where it's extremely wobbly, and if you move too quickly, the window falls off of the titlebar and crashes into pieces when it hits your taskbar.  

March 30, 2012 3:29:13 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,

Quoting KoltonRamsey, reply 117

Quoting Zubaz,
reply 116

Zubaz is in error here.

The scripting applies to window animations such as open, close, minimize and restore.  The wobbly windows is not run as a script and as such has no ability to modify it.  We may consider enhancing this area going forward though.

Definitely do enhance it. I personally love the Wobbly Windows on Compiz, it was so fluid, and was able to be increased. Please make this part of your efforts with WindowFX5(after all, I did buy it. ).  

March 30, 2012 6:40:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

OK....hate to be the bearer or bad news, but I'm seeing a gradual "build up" of CPU usage and memory usage that I get back as soon as I disable WFX. After about 4-6 hours of usage I notice that the CPU (Quad Q9550) stays at about 40% continuously. If I disable WFX it drops back to 3-7%

Cooler Master HAF 932
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Rev. 1.6
Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83Ghz E0 3.40Ghz OC'ed
w/ Cooler Master V-8
XFX Radeon HD 4870 1GB DDR5
HIS Radeon HD 5450 1GB DDR3
(8GB) 4x2GB G. Skill DDR2 1066
Corsair 750W PSU Single Rail

(1) OCZ Octane S2 128GB SSD
(3) WD 640GB Caviar Black HDD
(1) Hitachi 1 Terabyte HDD
Samsung 22X DVD Burner SATA
Saitek Eclipse II
Logitech G9 Laser
Logitech M570 Trackball
Logitech HD Pro C-910 WebcCam
(3) Dell 2001 FP Flat Panels (4800x1200)
Logitech Z-5500 Digital Sounds System
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium

March 30, 2012 6:54:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

What process is using the cpu?

March 30, 2012 7:01:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Acronis just started up so you'll have to give me and hour or so....

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001032   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+