Stardock

Roleplaying in Sins

By on February 6, 2012 7:44:51 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Winnmp

Join Date 02/2012

Would anyone be interested in doing some roleplay on Sins? Also, in the long term, would anyone be willingly to form a roleplaying "clan" for this purpose? Your responses will be much appreciated. 

Update: 2/9/12

Well, just so that people will begin to prep themselves for this project, I have come up with a list of required people to start this thing:

(2) Roleplaying Administrators

-Used to keep the ball rolling, and to try to keep this as organized as possible.

(3) Faction Leaders

-Responsible for managing their own faction.

(9-X) Faction Members

-Seeing as the Sins Population isn't doing so well, the number of faction members that are required for this to occur will be set at the arbitrary number of Nine. And, obviously, they are simply members of each faction.

(1-2) Mappers

-Those who are skilled at using the GalaxyForge.

[Optional](2) Historians

-Those who keep tabs on all of the events that occur throughout this roleplay, and attempt to record it as accurately as possible.

Total: 15

Note: I would like to acknowledge binjured for his previous work, as it has given me some sorta of a base for this, and it also gave me a list of roles that seem necessary.

Anyways, for the moment, I am looking for some people to come up with three factions for this roleplay. The only requirement for a faction to be considered part of the canon is the starting membership of atleast two people. Also, these factions can be of any race(TEC, Vasari, or Advent.). I do hope this project can go forward, and I wish you all good luck on starting the creative process.

Lore Notes:

-We are currently set in the time of Entrenchment. But, we might still use the Diplomacy for the actual in game features.

-We will not be bringing in any stories related to the Vasari Hunters.

Notes: I will begin to work on an OOC Map for this Roleplay, but I am still trying to consult with some others on this topic.

General Operation Notes:

This is sorta the rough summary of what will go on:

Once we get the full amount of players, I am going to open the floor for "Actions". Such an action would be an invasion of another Solar System, as a means of taking enemy territory. This action would be publicly posted, and given a certain amount of time to be reacted to. If, per say, a faction launches an invasion force, the defending faction can decide to send a fleet(One Player Admiral w/ any Lower Ranking Officers) to defend the territory. The battle would be played out in the game itself(Having been arranged, to the best of our ability, to fit both faction's time restrictions), and the winner would then claim that territory. This would be reflected in the Global Map. Afterwards, players may decide to post AARs, or Roleplays that occurred during the battle, or even roleplays that are occurring because of the battle. And, just for the sake of this example, lets just say that the faction that lost the battle wants a truce. Then, the Faction Leader would post a Comms RP in the forum thread, to which the other Faction Leader can respond to. 

So, in short, the gameplay will vary from in-thread talks, to Global Events, and in-game Battles.

58 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 6, 2012 8:06:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Possibly if you can actually get a sizable group that can reliably come online when needed.

February 6, 2012 8:31:16 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well, that is what I am trying to do.

February 6, 2012 8:41:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Rovert10,
Possibly if you can actually get a sizable group that can reliably come online when needed.

Quoting Winnmp,
Well, that is what I am trying to do.

Many have tried, none have succeeded in organizing themselves. Challenge Accepted.

February 6, 2012 11:53:50 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Distant Stars has an RP going (near stale right now), but it's something that is done less 'table top' style and more 'work together on chapters' style, since we run it through the board. How are you thinking to arrange this?

February 7, 2012 4:06:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

A decent way to hybridize it would be to do the written lore group contribution style like DS and then have scenarios played out in game as part of a fixed timeline and derived from lore.  Depending on the outcome of those battles, the lore could be elaborated on as a faux "real-time".

So "In the year 234AA, Emperor Carbon declared war on the Ungulate Draaks and during the War of Orion's belt, General Krdax swept the constellation of Ungulate presence in a series of battles and established the new realm of Carbonia Victorus.  General Krdax was promoted to Admiral and his Lietenants were all given captaincy of capital vessels as a reward.  The Ungulates slinked back to their swamp worlds in a distant constellation--certain to be the next great battle ground.

You could have battlefield promotions based on actual battles and build empires based on set resources for captured territories.  I'd suggest look to Traveller as an example but it's hard to find resources without a lot of search and study.

February 7, 2012 5:18:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If your interest is role playing, you're really playing the wrong game.  Try the original Neverwinter Nights with its expansions.  It's really more of what you're looking for:

http://arelith.com/

http://www.amiaworld.net/

http://highergroundpoa.proboards.com

February 7, 2012 5:55:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting DirtySanchezz,
If your interest is role playing, you're really playing the wrong game. Try the original Neverwinter Nights with its expansions. It's really more of what you're looking for:

With all due respect Sanchezz, some people are interested in role-playing Sci-Fi, Military Sci-Fi, Space Opera, etc either instead of or in conjunction with the various forms of Fantasy role-playing that tends to be more common. Jumping on here with a blanket statement, acting as if you already know what is best for Wnnmp is pretty cocky, and rude. Either be a part of the discussion or don't post.

Sins can be a good layout for role-playing, even though it hasn't been that popular. If enough people are interested I say give it a go.

February 7, 2012 6:55:01 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I would like to thank you guys for your posts so far.

Quoting Sinperium,
A decent way to hybridize it would be to do the written lore group contribution style like DS and then have scenarios played out in game as part of a fixed timeline and derived from lore.  Depending on the outcome of those battles, the lore could be elaborated on as a faux "real-time".

So "In the year 234AA, Emperor Carbon declared war on the Ungulate Draaks and during the War of Orion's belt, General Krdax swept the constellation of Ungulate presence in a series of battles and established the new realm of Carbonia Victorus.  General Krdax was promoted to Admiral and his Lietenants were all given captaincy of capital vessels as a reward.  The Ungulates slinked back to their swamp worlds in a distant constellation--certain to be the next great battle ground.

You could have battlefield promotions based on actual battles and build empires based on set resources for captured territories.  I'd suggest look to Traveller as an example but it's hard to find resources without a lot of search and study.

Well, honestly, I was going to do some unprogressive/unlinked organized sessions. But, upon seeing your idea, I think that a continuous "main" story, along with opportunities for users to have smaller, self-made ones, would be the best way to make everyone happy. The main story would be dependent, like you said, on the actions that the users did in game.

Quoting DirtySanchezz,
If your interest is role playing, you're really playing the wrong game.  Try the original Neverwinter Nights with its expansions.  It's really more of what you're looking for:

http://arelith.com/

http://www.amiaworld.net/

http://highergroundpoa.proboards.com

The reason I chose Sins was the fact that it was a Space RTS, which allows for alot of free thinking. I do realize that Sins isn't the best suited for roleplay, in terms of actual ingame features, but I still think it is a viable game to roleplay in.

Also, if any of you who are posting want to actually become a part of this, and/or speed this process up, it would be preferable for you to PM me, or to state that you would like to help with the construction of this.IE: Help write canon, organize a group of people, etc.

February 7, 2012 7:02:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Indeed, I think role playing can be done with any game, seeing that the bulk of role playing is personal interactions and even the game can be broken down into dice rolls. Beyond that, the DS lore has done well in the sense that the most gripping turns are not those of a battle, but those involving the politics and espionage that is not depicted well in the game.

February 8, 2012 9:32:57 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

My suggestion was more from my board gaming background and in fact most table-top rpg games used melee systems from combat miniatures to resolve movement and combat of characters. 

It makes sense to use an RTS game as a "combat system" for an space empire mmo concept--even if it has to be done textually in a board-game like simulation.

As to the role playing an individual in day-to-day with long conversations and all, not my cup of tea...but I could head an interstellar dynasty and throw some diplomatic trash talk about

Adding more to the concept...

You could begin "characters" as ship captains of smaller ships and let them work their way up.  One thing you might want to do is create an ability to spawn a destructible but potentially survivable escape pod so that when a player ship was destroyed in combat it could be determined if the captain survived.  That would be a pretty easy ability to create.

I don't know if this is possible but if created as a trade ship (I know it can be created with the mesh but I don't know if it will function as a trade ship unless assigned to a trade port). Survival could be calculated if a trade port was reached without being destroyed.  The life pod could have a buff to self destruct on arrival--with some non-explosive effect to simulate success.

February 8, 2012 10:28:04 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

or any factors such as the escape pod could be a roll of dice following a ship's destruction. That's assuming the game is used as the platform for said enactments.

February 8, 2012 1:28:28 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

What kind of roleplay, like teacher and naughty students?  is there any foreplay that goes with this roleplay?

February 8, 2012 2:15:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting boshimi336,
With all due respect Sanchezz, some people are interested in role-playing Sci-Fi, Military Sci-Fi, Space Opera, etc either instead of or in conjunction with the various forms of Fantasy role-playing that tends to be more common. Jumping on here with a blanket statement, acting as if you already know what is best for Wnnmp is pretty cocky, and rude. Either be a part of the discussion or don't post.

Then I suggest that people find a game designed as an RPG in space--the equivalent of Neverwinter Nights--but in space.  I disagree that an RTS is a good platform for RPG unless there's some sort of an RPG-type mod for it that completely transforms the game.  That's just my take on it; it's worth what you paid for it.

February 8, 2012 2:31:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting DirtySanchezz,
Then I suggest that people find a game designed as an RPG in space

I think you don't understand. We're not asking the devs to make an RP game for Sins. We're talking about setting up our own table top RP based on Sins, like playing an old-fashioned game of D&D. He's just looking to see if anyone's up for it.

February 8, 2012 2:49:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'd skip the dice roll as that requires the "honor system".  In space, there is no honor.

February 8, 2012 3:04:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

That's why you have a GM and use chat programs, like Skype, where you can share desktop images.

February 8, 2012 3:58:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Meh---mod it.

On death, delay, spawn--time expire and end effect.

February 8, 2012 5:42:24 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm game

I already do some DS lore too...  I would like to get better at my storytelling....

February 8, 2012 5:56:17 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Um...I think some people might be confused by what I was suggesting, seeing as alot of people are mentioning table-top Roleplay... In reality, my  vision was to use the actual game itself, along with forum-interaction, as a means of progressing the story. Also, I was thinking about an idea along the lines of this:

There would be fifth-teen star systems, which comprise of one star, and many planets. In the beginning, each faction would receive one of these star systems. From that point on, people would essentially roleplay with one another on the forums(A forum that we would create for this purpose), until actual in-game action is needed. For example, two factions might want to fight it out for a solar system, which would prompt an in game battle for supremacy. I do realize people were likely looking for a more personal one on one Roleplay, but that wasn't really the plan.   

Update: After reading some of the Distant Star Roleplay thread, I think that what I am proposing is not likely what you people want.

February 8, 2012 6:09:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Winnmp,
Um...I think some people might be confused by what I was suggesting, seeing as alot of people are mentioning table-top Roleplay... In reality, my vision was to use the actual game itself, along with forum-interaction, as a means of progressing the story. Also, I was thinking about an idea along the lines of this:

That is what we do in the Distant Stars RP lore. We understand what you mean.

Ignore DirtySanchezz ( I feel bad saying that, he normally is a great guy ). While I respect his enthusiasm for multiplayer, he can sometimes misses the other aspects that can be found with these games.

February 8, 2012 6:14:37 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Ryat,

Quoting Winnmp, reply 19Um...I think some people might be confused by what I was suggesting, seeing as alot of people are mentioning table-top Roleplay... In reality, my vision was to use the actual game itself, along with forum-interaction, as a means of progressing the story. Also, I was thinking about an idea along the lines of this:

That is what we do in the Distant Stars RP lore. We understand what you mean.

Ignore DirtySanchezz ( I feel bad saying that, he normally is a great guy ). While I respect his enthusiasm for multiplayer, he can sometimes misses the other aspects that can be found with these games.

Alright, well thanks. So, like I said before, those who want to kick this off, just send me a PM. 

February 8, 2012 7:56:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

PM sent

You may want to list what we need to post to get started...

And probably make a new forum posting once we all get started. 

February 8, 2012 9:28:11 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

This sounds like another attempt to make a psudo Steel Command for Sins.

If you looking to intergrate the gameplay we, I suggest you take a look a this old topic. http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/344133

It was a shame it never got enough ground. 

This combo style of RP would fit great into Sins. As it did for Battletech,(which wasnt much of RP friendly universe). Given the fact most of the game were either RTS and Sim.

February 9, 2012 2:08:38 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

OP Updated.

February 9, 2012 3:05:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

As a note, I think deriving factions/maps from those already in the game would go a long way in keeping with the canon.

I think we should also decide which age we're starting in (Sins, Entrench, Diplo) and avoid trying to bring in the hunters of the Vasari as it is a thorny bush indeed.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000343   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+