Stardock.com ‚Äč

[merged] ExpandedFactions 0.2.1 for FE 0.86

By on January 25, 2012 10:39:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Heavenfall

Join Date 07/2008
+411

This mod has been merged into the Stormworld mod pack. This topic will not be updated.

ExpandedFactions 0.2.1

for FE 0.86

Players are recommended not to design their own sovereigns or custom factions using these factions. Results will be varied.

Players are advised that when un-installing this mod, you must delete all the unit designs that you have made yourself for these factions. They are located in C:\Users\yourusername\Documents\My Games\FallenEnchantress\Units\. Failure to do this will lead to your game crashing at sovereign selection screen when you start the game without the mod.

Do not report bugs or feedback for the FE beta if you are running a modded game.

This mod will not function with any other mod. This will change closer to FE release.

Installation: Extract all three folders straight into C:\Users\yourusername\Documents\My Games\FallenEnchantress\Mods\

Un-install: Remove those folders, and see the warning above regarding un-installing.

Content as of 0.2:

Seven factions are in (Frost Giants, Drota, Angels, Living Stone, Greenskin, Golems, Centaurs). They have faction abilities, special unit traits and faction mounts (except angels and drota who do not use mounts).

This is a Work In Progress, which means a lot of things aren't as they are going to be later on. That said, the mod is perfectly playable and if you find a bug, please report it in this thread.

Just a post to contain information about the upcoming ExpandedFactions mod for FE.

The planned factions:

Kingdoms:
Shadows (http://i.snag.gy/8oVAO.jpg )
Gnomes (conceptually somewhere between a hobbit and a dwarf - small, but not fat. Vicious. Crafters & Traders)
Elves
Angels ( http://i.snag.gy/oYxRs.jpg)
Living Stone
Centaurs ( http://i.snag.gy/nz2jT.jpg )

Empires:
Golems ( http://i.snag.gy/AKgCd.jpg  )
Frost Giants
Drota ( http://i.imgur.com/2COwB.jpg )
Greenskin (Orcs & Goblins)
Death Legion ( http://i.snag.gy/HTl2u.jpg )
Undead (Skeletons & Zombies) (this one may go or stay depending on RavenX's modding)

Mod goals:

- Introduce High Fantasy races to the game
- Keep it modular - no more weird dependencies
- Keep it balanced - these factions should go toe to toe with vanilla factions
- Each faction should have features that makes the gameplay different
- Each faction should be visually distinguishable

145 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 3, 2012 12:17:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Played for 20 mins last night (:grumble kids taking my playing time:    ).   Looks good so far, no problems.  I'll play a bit more today. 

April 3, 2012 12:26:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting jshores,

You're my hero. 

BTW, will these centaurs change dynamically as you switch gear? Or is the gear static?

Like the drota, everything is dynamic except cloaks, greaves and boots (those have no visuals).

There's an update coming in an hour or two with the Centaurs added, also a bunch of fun stuff.

April 3, 2012 1:00:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Uploaded 0.2

- Drota trait "hunter" was available for everyone for free. It is now for Drota only, for 25 extra production
- Golem faction ability "Ordered minds" no longer gives -15% unrest in every city (was overpowered). It still reduces the effect of unrest on research by 50%
- Fixed Goblin heads being invisible

- Added centaur faction

- Unit designs now come stock with pre-selected appropriate faction traits. This also means that the AI will now utilize such traits. That should add some spice to fighting against them

- Fixed city names so they are not all identical for every faction

April 3, 2012 1:10:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,

Quoting jshores, reply 125

You're my hero. 

BTW, will these centaurs change dynamically as you switch gear? Or is the gear static?

Like the drota, everything is dynamic except cloaks, greaves and boots (those have no visuals).

There's an update coming in an hour or two with the Centaurs added, also a bunch of fun stuff.

Would it be possible to handle greaves the way Shadowbane handled it for centaurs? The greaves basically just went on the front legs:

http://www.voig.com/voig/ContentList/DigitalAssetLibrary/AssetLibrary/ImageryLibrary/2007/Aug/21/ShadowbaneCentaur.Fullscreen?aLanguage=en-us&aAssetType=Screenshot

Also, are you going to create a female model for the centaurs as well? 

Thanks again for all your hard work!

April 3, 2012 1:15:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Maybe, I'll try it.

Centaurs are male only, for a couple of reasons. First, they're misogynists by lore. Second, it's actually a racial flaw that you can't design female units (although not much is in use yet, but you can imagine a faction of Amazons that devastate males in combat). Third, the Kingdoms need a Male-only faction (Greenskin are Male only for the Empires) (this is a balance thing). And fourth, the female model is too different from the male one, it doesn't fit at all on the horse base.

April 3, 2012 2:10:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I would think of angels as very low growth, very powerful ... very good at diplomacy but can get angered really easily too.

Some (like the Seraphim) with heavenly fire swords, and great aptitude for fire spells (with which to burninate the enemy).

Others, perhaps Cherubim, could have access to spells of Ice and Life.

If an army of "all angels" has 2 or more moves, then they can spend one of their moves to "fly" over a blocking mountain or narrow sea, as long as its only 1 tile wide of course. (or N-1 tiles wide, where N is movement points).

However, angels will not fight alone. The majority of their forces will be converts and zealots (perhaps some slaves as well).

Their "Angel of Penance" (Or Angel of Repentance) could be a slave driver type, with access to the "Slave Drive" spell of the Magnar.

Their "Herald" meanwhile, could have a similar spell for those devoted to the cause (but better than Slave Drive of course)

They could have some life-based, or fire-based, spells such as "gods wrath" or "retribution". Probably not by an angel, but by a human priest.

angels should probably be immune to both life and death spells.

an Angelic faction (a mix of angels and their human followers) would likely have the least amount of unrest, able to squeeze high taxes at little-to-no cost ... allowing even their cities of limited population to be rather productive.

In the unit design, can choose either male, female, or Angel. Angels only have 1 trait slot instead of 3, and buy traits from a different tree. Angel Traits.

Angel Traits are powerful and unique. If you want a generic angel you don't pick one, but if you want a Seraph, Cherubim, Nephilim, Herald, Repentant Angel, Throne, Virtue, etc .... you would pick the appropriate angel trait.

Angels of "Mercury" or "Swift Wings" could be the ones with extra flight-based abilities you mentioned such as Thunder-strike or Sky-dive.

Virtues could have healing magic and buffs, while Thrones could specialize in Charm/Fear/Domination magic.

Nephilim could be the 'life stealers' that can cast fear and can also Drain life with ease.

(again, angels would be immune to healing magic(life based), so the Nephilim would be the only angels capable of healing during battle).

Air Elementals would be a good starting point for at least one angel type. (yes, angel traits could perhaps influence the unit art )

Angels without traits would be the simplest art/ look the most human ... while Thrones (and Angels of Mercury) would likely look the least human.

anyways, those are my Angel-based 2 cents for the moment.

April 3, 2012 2:15:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Meanwhile, Seraphs would likely look "super human" or "trans-human"

being (likely) the most powerful angel type, and also looking similar to divine/divinity.

those looking the least human->elemental-esque ... would likely be Thrones, ""of Mercury, and Cherubim. (Possibly Nephilim too)

meanwhile Virtues would look Trans-human

and Seraphs' would look "super" Trans-human.

Then regular (non trait) angels could look like regular humans, as in the pic

(perhaps trans-human would look similar to a golden or silver living stone model?)

April 3, 2012 2:26:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

All great ideas, those are the sort of things I'll be adding long-term to each faction.

April 3, 2012 2:36:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Just downloaded the .2. Looks great! I'll have to try each race today in celebration! That is, before the real celebration begins. 

April 3, 2012 2:38:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
Maybe, I'll try it.

Centaurs are male only, for a couple of reasons. First, they're misogynists by lore. Second, it's actually a racial flaw that you can't design female units (although not much is in use yet, but you can imagine a faction of Amazons that devastate males in combat). Third, the Kingdoms need a Male-only faction (Greenskin are Male only for the Empires) (this is a balance thing). And fourth, the female model is too different from the male one, it doesn't fit at all on the horse base.

By lore are you talking about the books the game is based on? They existed in Greek mythology:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentaurides

This is moot anyway if the models look funky =/.

Concerning the racial flaw. Do you mean there are advantages to being able to create female units? 

Thanks!

April 3, 2012 2:41:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

By lore I mean my own lore. I make the mod, I make the lore.

Yes, there are advantages because some units will be extra strong against males and females.

April 3, 2012 2:43:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Background stats FTW!

April 3, 2012 3:50:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Looks like the Ice Giants (at least the sovereign) have a strategic movement bug.   After a battle they get a large increase in strategic movement.  After the 1st battle I had 18 moves, after the 2nd I had 26.   I haven't played with any of their units yet to see if that is related to immovable glacier or something else.

April 3, 2012 4:02:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
By lore I mean my own lore. I make the mod, I make the lore.

Yes, there are advantages because some units will be extra strong against males and females.

OK, looks like I am caught up now . I will give the mod a try this week.

April 3, 2012 4:06:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

0.2.1 fixes it

April 3, 2012 5:17:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Heavenfall, thanks for the fix.  

Just curious, what is the primary problem when designing your own sovereign with these factions?  

April 4, 2012 1:44:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

0.86 does not collect the information from the right unittypes. A frost giant may end up with altarian statistics. It wouldn't matter much in vanilla, but here there are background stats, such as what race you belong to and what gender you select and so on.

Also, for drota and centaurs you need to edit in the horse/spider base. It can be done automatically for unit designs, but not for sovereign designs.

April 4, 2012 6:30:50 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting jshores,

Would it be possible to handle greaves the way Shadowbane handled it for centaurs? The greaves basically just went on the front legs:

http://www.voig.com/voig/ContentList/DigitalAssetLibrary/AssetLibrary/ImageryLibrary/2007/Aug/21/ShadowbaneCentaur.Fullscreen?aLanguage=en-us&aAssetType=Screenshot

Unfortunately, applying objects that way doesn't work (ie you select greaves and you get barding on the horse part).

They can be applied from the base though. Which means there could be some sort of upgradeable base. I might include it just for aesthetics.

April 4, 2012 11:43:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,

Quoting jshores, reply 129

Unfortunately, applying objects that way doesn't work (ie you select greaves and you get barding on the horse part).

They can be applied from the base though. Which means there could be some sort of upgradeable base. I might include it just for aesthetics.

Ah I see. It appears to work completely different than I suspected. I thought you had had created a new model using the other two, and that armor attached by nodes. In reality, have you done some type of overlay with the two models so the game says "Horse part = barding, human parts = normal armor"?

This is an modding area I am interested in, but if it is not 3d modeling noob friendly, I'll probably just piddle with the 2d graphics instead. 

Concerning the gender specific attacks, is it your intention to add the dreaded Falcon Punch? I hear it is very effective.

April 4, 2012 12:00:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah, it actually is a mount that has to be equipped at all times. But instead of a full human riding a full horse, it's half a human riding half a horse. The whole 3d thing can be quite difficult to grasp. Static weapons is probably the easiest place to start if you want to try your hands at 3d stuff.

Falcon punch? Maybe, good idea for an assassin ability anyway. Sounds like a great gnome ability - nutsmash - deals X damage against humanoid males.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000422   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+