Stardock

Restoring Fences after OS reload - not useful at all

By on December 1, 2011 5:30:13 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

erfjr

Join Date 12/2011

I reloaded Win 7, reloaded Fences, found the Fences backups in Windows.old | Users | {my name} | Appdata | Roaming | Stardock | Fences | Backup, and copied the PNG and XML files into current folder.

Unfortunately, nothing shows except the fences' outlines and titles--not icons, and not even icon placeholders.  The backup may help you unscramble a minor desktop issue but from save/restore standpoint it's useless.  I understand that icons come from the apps but having placeholders as reminders would be a big step forward.  There's plenty of metadata in the .XML file. 

The only option is to manually recreate everything from the .PNG image .

2 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 1, 2011 5:53:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Slightly OT, erfjr... but there is a little secret regarding Windows "reinstallations.

It's called a non detructive installation, and you can read about it here:

http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/win7s-no-reformat-nondestructive-reinstall/

If you already knew about that, please forgive. If not, save that bookmark somewhere. Just rmember, you have to remove SP1 to do it, unless your installation disk from MS is a W7 SP1 disk.

It might save you time and effort.

Also, after you get everything the way you want it, and smart defrag, cleaning your registry and compacting it.... clone your disk on an external HDD.

Will make restoring a breeze in the future.... and keep everything (including your Fences) just the way they were.

December 1, 2011 7:43:10 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

erfjr, those are not the files you are looking for. 

The easiest way to backup and restore Fences settings is via the snapshot system. Simply copy the snapshots from one machine to the other, then restore the snapshot via Configure Fences -> Tools -> Snapshots -> Restore Snapshot. Snapshots are stored in the following directories:

Vista/7: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Stardock\Fences\Backups

You will need to replace USERNAME with your user account name on your PC. Alternatively, you can import the following registry key into the new machine's registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Stardock\Fences

Please let me know whether this resolves your problem or if you have any additional questions.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000375   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+