Stardock
Stardock Closed for the Holidays
Jan 5, 2015 8:45

Stardock's offices will be closed in observance of the holiday season from December 19th until January 5th, 2015.

During this time there will be a delay in answering support tickets, so we ask for your patience during the holiday period.  While we will keep tabs on the tickets during the break, we will respond to them as quickly as possible upon our return.  

On behalf of the Stardock staff we wish you a happy holiday season and look forward to the new year!

Intentional sabotage of games

By on November 8, 2011 8:55:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

throwawayth...

Join Date 08/2011
+2

There is a certain player on ICO who sometimes creates problems. For instance, the other day I was waiting for a 5v5 game to fill, and this player in question was attempting to join. However, the player was using a smurf name, and the host (reasonably) didn't want to let the player in due to being anonymous and argumentative. Another (known regular) player was attempting to join the game at this time, which the host wanted to let play instead. However, the problem player kept grabbing the slot again immediately after he was kicked by the host, and the other player trying to join wasn't able to.

Eventually the host got tired of this and created a new game, same setup, except that the game was passworded so that only players who were whispered the password would be able to join. The game slowly filled as the previous players got the password from the host and entered, but somehow the problem player figured out the password and got in, despite the fact that plain guessing the password should take quite a while.

This process repeated itself, with the host hosting a different game with a much longer password. The smurfing problem player was still able to get in anyway. This was all while the host and problem player were arguing - I find it very unlikely that someone (of those others playing) would have just given him a griefer like him password.

Then the player in question somehow crashed the game lobby and immediately created his own 5v5 game where he was the host, so that people would join. So the players had no choice other than to join his game instead - any other game he would have simply figured out the password to and crashed again.

The player in question is notorious for doing this sort of thing (figuring out passwords, crashing game lobbies, being extremely rude to everyone in general), and later logged out with his smurf name and then immediately logged back in with his main, confirming suspicions.

My question is: should players on ICO tolerate a player like this? Should Ironclad do something about players like these? I am definitely not advocating a permanent ban (if such a thing is even possible), but I'm wondering if Ironclad has any system in place for dealing with issues such as these, so that the online experience is not ruined when these things happen?

I have not named names - I'm not trying to make this thread a "HATE ON PLAYER X THREAD" - but I'm sure the regulars know who I'm talking about.

99% of online players are fine (comp-stomper lovers, don't go stereotyping the entire community based on this), but even a single bad apple can create serious problems given how vulnurable ICO is to crashes and exploitation. Is there some sort of way of dealing with this other than hoping that these sorts of people aren't online when you're trying to play a normal drama-free game?

51 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 8, 2011 10:12:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

99% of online players are fine (comp-stomper lovers, don't go stereotyping the entire community based on this), but even a single bad apple can create serious problems given how vulnurable ICO is to crashes and exploitation. Is there some sort of way of dealing with this other than hoping that these sorts of people aren't online when you're trying to play a normal drama-free game?

Given the low numbers of players on ICO, even just the few bad apples ruin the entire online community reputation. Hence you get the stereotypical argument.

That person should be banned. Should be banned for the sake of promoting a friendly community. Not one you must slog through hell just to play a game online. Im sure if you sent pics/videos of said person doing this directly to IC they could look into it. They have done such before for other griefers and exploiters.

I would advocate those 5v5 ICO regulars to actively and coherently setting a new vibe on ICO in preperations for Rebellion. Be aggressive against those who troll and such. Emails to IC and maybe Yarlen (for ways prevent such crap from happening in Rebellion), can only bring light to these issues.

They have shown us just recently that being proactive and consitant that they will at least look into it, see auto downloading maps for what Im refering to.  

November 9, 2011 1:36:28 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting -Ue_Carbon,
That person should be banned. Should be banned for the sake of promoting a friendly community.

Banning should require a ladder system. Warning, 24hr ban, 1 week ban, permanent ban. Some things though should be understood to be a permanent ban. Hacking/cracking, racism, no warnings, your gone.

November 9, 2011 1:49:19 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting myfist0,
racism

That's the only reason I go on.  This cracka loves hatin on whitey.

November 9, 2011 1:52:38 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Whitney? the high school?

November 9, 2011 8:11:14 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

OMG OMG kill him for beeing smarter then a host.

Shoot him on sight. LOL

Stop kicking people and the problem will be solved. Sins  is a ghost town now. U cant get a mp game on weekdazs at all.

He has no choce but to fight for his right.  And he should kick the host for beeing smurf nayi

Now u can flame me.

PS It wasnt me i  do it only to Howthe.

November 9, 2011 9:33:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

who would do such a terrible thing like this! burn the wrongdoer with fire and douse him with holy water!

November 9, 2011 9:43:05 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Nightraid3r,
who would do such a terrible thing like this! burn the wrongdoer with fire and douse him with holy water!

Indeed, a mere ban is not enough for this [insert explicative here]. Though I think I can come up with much more satisfying Sins to inflict on him, depending on which faction he is usually apart of.

A. Subject him to amazingly high fines and taxes to force him to declare bankrupcy, thereby ruining his social status.

B. Sever his link to the unity, thereby forever ensuring he and his decedents will forever be outsiders.

C. Force him into slavery, perhaps even sold to an inferior race for extra humiliation.

November 10, 2011 12:52:24 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Nightraid3r,

ROFL-LMAO

November 10, 2011 4:29:36 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Wow--we think the game isn't busy enough so its ok if we're dinks and try to finish it off?

You guys really are losers.

I think we just need to start pass protected games and get rid of these chumps--they can play with themselves (which is obviously pretty much all that's happening with them anyway).

November 10, 2011 9:50:56 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The issue with password protecting games to keep them out is usually ruined by the fact that people that are given the password inevitably give the password to the griefers in question and they still ruin the game.  Star/nightraider there has been reported in the past by me for doing exactly what the OP had done to him.  I wouldn't put it past quar either though since he seems to be supporting the behavior.  If sins is a ghost town, you can only blame yourselves for making it that way.  There is a point at which one gets tired of putting up with it and just stops playing.

[_]-Greyfox

November 10, 2011 11:37:00 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Stop kicking me u fools..that should teach u a lesson. I was in the game on my laptop and also logged on my pc to annoy u. Different keys you see and whenever you told me the password i gave it to my cousin. You got it all wrong. U kicked my mate anyway for being new. Pay the price u smurf racists. 

November 10, 2011 11:46:40 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Smurf Racists!!!!!

November 10, 2011 1:01:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Greyfox2,
Star/nightraider there has been reported in the past by me for doing exactly what the OP had done to him.

Pretty much...

November 10, 2011 1:15:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It's just like in nature... wolves hunt down weak or sick animals, smurfs crash lame games. In both cases both sides benefit.

November 10, 2011 3:35:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Greyfox2,
The issue with password protecting games to keep them out is usually ruined by the fact that people that are given the password inevitably give the password to the griefers in question and they still ruin the game.  Star/nightraider there has been reported in the past by me for doing exactly what the OP had done to him.  I wouldn't put it past quar either though since he seems to be supporting the behavior.  If sins is a ghost town, you can only blame yourselves for making it that way.  There is a point at which one gets tired of putting up with it and just stops playing.

[_]-Greyfox

Confident

November 10, 2011 4:44:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Nightraid3r,
Hey guys, if you want, i'd be happy to help scare 2 people away for every 1 person you bring.  Let me know if you need this kind of assistance and i can clear some time on my schedule to troll people on ICO!

Why are there people like this?

Quoting Nightraid3r,

Aren't you the subject of the OP's complaint?

Quoting DirtySanchezz,
ROFL-LMAO

For all your advertising of multiplayer (which I've been attempting to do as well) I would think that this sort of thing would be something to take seriously. Getting new people to try it is one thing, but it's also important not for the assholes on ICO to scare them off immediately.

Quoting Greyfox2,
The issue with password protecting games to keep them out is usually ruined by the fact that people that are given the password inevitably give the password to the griefers in question and they still ruin the game.

Why would the other players intentionally give the griefer the password though? Do they simply have extremely weak wills, or are they just that stupid, or what? I don't understand it.

Quoting Greyfox2,
I wouldn't put it past quar either though since he seems to be supporting the behavior.  If sins is a ghost town, you can only blame yourselves for making it that way.  There is a point at which one gets tired of putting up with it and just stops playing.

Why are there people who seem so intent on smashing player counts down even further? Do they want to make online multiplayer unplayable due to lack of people?

It makes zero sense. Zero.

November 10, 2011 4:54:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Post deleted by author (double post).

November 10, 2011 4:55:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting DirtySanchezz,

Quoting Wrath89, reply 16For all your advertising of multiplayer (which I've been attempting to do as well) I would think that this sort of thing would be something to take seriously. Getting new people to try it is one thing, but it's also important not for the assholes on ICO to scare them off immediately.

My ROFL-LMAO response to Nightraider's comment was kind of an inside joke that only pro players would understand.  I didn't mean it to encourage or promote bad behavior.

November 10, 2011 5:25:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Smurf...racist. Modern education.

[I didn't think your comment was that way Dirty.  It's the idea that the others have that, "If you don't let me smurf your game and play with a crappy attitude I have a right to trash it."]

As to the survival of the fittest idiocy...that only works as a puff for your ego online in a game little boy.  Try it in real life. People that have actually succeeded in their lives actually don't have OCD desires to prove their manhood through a game.  It's something we do just for fun.

I think I understand the analogy of the internet and life a little better now.  Just like real life, the internet has trailer parks.  Now we know some of the people living there. 

People give their passwords away Wrath for the same reason they give carnival cons their money--they're chumps for a con.

November 11, 2011 5:41:11 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You should have seen me. I was amazing. Its like they thought there were being hacked by a super computer...

November 11, 2011 11:04:43 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

hmmm

You should get an adjudicated warning for your behavior, but I'm certain that instead of being a troll, you could have simply have explained your situation more clearly and ceased to have gotten kicked.

Ruining a game for other people is not

Quoting RiddleKing,
amazing

Don't do it anymore.

November 11, 2011 11:28:01 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

And you guys wonder why the mutiplayer scene is nonexistent. Like flies to a lightbulb........................

November 11, 2011 1:27:14 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting wbino,
And you guys wonder why the mutiplayer scene is nonexistent. Like flies to a lightbulb........................

As I've explained numerous times before in the past, the problem really has little to do with people's online behavior and more to do with the overwhelming majority of Sins purchasers being predisposed to single player, barriers to updating the game and getting onto ICO, and numerous technical problems with Vanilla Sins back in 2008.  At its peak, this game only had 280 people on at any one time in April-May 2008.  It's been 3.5 years since then.  If a game peaks at only 280 people online 2-3 months after its release, the outlook for 3.5 years down the road isn't good regardless of people's behavior.

November 11, 2011 1:48:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

While those were the main culprits of pushing down online numbers in the beginning (and consequently carrying over to low numbers nowadays), the players on ICO who are hostile to newbies currently are also a problem. Granted, we don't get many new players nowadays, but there are some, and the few that there are are surely turned off by the experienced folks who yell at them, call them smurfs (understandably), and get angry at them when they make very stupid decisions ingame.

The actions of players like Star and Siddy and Howthe are I think are preventing many of the few newbies ICO is getting from being interested enough in the game to stay on ICO.

ICO for Sins/Diplomacy is already far over the hill already, but players online nowadays aren't exactly making the environment friendly enough for the few newbies to want to come back after they've tried it once and gotten yelled at/kicked etc.

November 11, 2011 3:06:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Wrath89,

The actions of players like Star and Siddy and Howthe are I think are preventing many of the few newbies ICO is getting from being interested enough in the game to stay on ICO.

You get it totaly wrong.

We the smurfs,  me , Star , Siddy will never kick a noob (unless he is known to lag) call him a smurf and be generaly offensive. Its smurf haters job.

We like new, fresh meat

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000812   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+