Stardock

How do you update this game? I have the vanilla version.

By on September 13, 2011 9:09:09 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Fulano5321

Join Date 09/2011

This game looks promising, I like it but I've run into some problems.  It looks like I've jumped into yet another game that was developed in stages under the code name "expansions."  I wish I'd known that before I bought the original version as I'm not interested in spending more money on the game for several years yet. I simply want a patch and a good expansion for the vanilla version.

The update button in the game launcher just gets me to a 404 page.  I've googled the update but everybody keeps saying it comes from Impulse.  I checked www.impulse.com but searching there doesn't have any patches, just full versions of the game.  I found the 1.05 patch but mods say they need the 1.191 patch, which I can't find anything about.

I also don't have the time to download a dozen mods to see which one I like anymore unfortunately.  I just want a mod that expands the game and makes it feel more finished without changing the core game too much.  Do you guys have any recommendations for a mod that works with vanilla sins?  I found one called Malestrom that looked promising but... see above about patching.    I mostly like playing single player or coop lan with my wife.  I love randomly generated maps and don't care about a single player campaign.

I hope you guys can help me out!  Thanks

21 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 13, 2011 9:22:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
September 13, 2011 9:47:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The update button in the game launcher just gets me to a 404 page. I've googled the update but everybody keeps saying it comes from Impulse. I checked www.impulse.com but searching there doesn't have any patches, just full versions of the game. I found the 1.05 patch but mods say they need the 1.191 patch, which I can't find anything about.

You need to install the impulse program on the front page of the impulse website. Once you install the program you can register you serial number and get the game updated to 1.191.

September 13, 2011 10:26:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

www.impulse.com is not the right website. www.impulsedriven.com is the right website.

September 13, 2011 10:43:41 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Install the program from the site eh...  you probably get enough complaining about that around here so I'll try to avoid it.    Thanks though, I must have missed that bit somewhere.

Any advice on the mods though?  I did finally find a link to download TSOP in these forums.

September 13, 2011 10:57:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

There are not many for the original as Entrenchment and Diplomacy added so much for us modders that we kinda abandon it.

http://ricksgalaxy.homestead.com/links.html

This site here might have something.

September 14, 2011 10:34:15 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If you really like the game, you can get both of the expansions for $20 at Impulse.  Heck, you really should have just purchased that to begin with.  Having the Diplomacy expansion will also save $10 on the Rebellion full-expansion download later.  One reason for getting Diplomacy is to be able to play real PvP games against human players once you've learned the game and the AI is no longer challenging or interesting.

September 14, 2011 12:45:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting DirtySanchezz,
Having the Diplomacy expansion will also save $10 on the Rebellion full-expansion download later.

Until the end of September anyways.

September 15, 2011 9:20:53 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

@Ryat, thanks for the link.  I found the 7 Deadly sins v2.1 mod that works with v1.05 that seems pretty fun so far.

We'll see where I go with the game .  I actually traded my old copy of Baldur's Gate for it on swap.com.  I'm not sure if the serial code has been used or not.  I don't want to activate it myself because I might trade it later and buy the game and expansions in a few years.  Thanks for your help here though!

September 15, 2011 10:16:40 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Fulano5321,
I found the 7 Deadly sins v2.1 mod that works with v1.05 that seems pretty fun so far.

Being from the 7DS team, i can say that you miss a lot by remaining with original sins... you miss the mine and starbase from Entrenchment... diplomacy add a political dimension to the game... by the way, the actual 7DS 2.5 beta is only for Entrenchment

We'll see where I go with the game .  I actually traded my old copy of Baldur's Gate for it on swap.com.  I'm not sure if the serial code has been used or not.  I don't want to activate it myself because I might trade it later and buy the game and expansions in a few years.[/quote]

Well, multiplayer is not possible with a non activated game... and you will miss the numerous update/patch...

Best is to contact the person with who you have make the "swap"... once activated with serial code, the account is linked to a e-mail address... normaly, the previous owner need to give you the needed information... now, it is very possible that the previous owner continue to play a updated version of sins ( since the game have not copy protection ) with you ending with a half useless original game...

[quote who="DirtySanchezz" reply="6" id="2996659"]If you really like the game, you can get both of the expansions for $20 at Impulse.

Well, you can have Trinity ( original game, Entrenchment, Diplomacy ) for only 19.95$ ... https://impulsestore.gamestop.com/cart.aspx?add&theme=impulse2&productid=ESD-SDE-W007 ... 

September 27, 2011 5:04:58 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Right now $20 is more than I can afford.    And with this new expansion coming out I think I'll wait until they offer an even better deal.

I do have a question about this Impulse thing though that I can't find on their website clearly explained.

I usually get video games to play with my family.  My wife and I play Civilization 4 and Heroes 5 together often, and we play Wii games with our kids.  We're interested in playing SoaSE together but if I buy the game from Impluse is it going to make me pay twice to be able to install the game on our two computers so we can play over a LAN?  Or do they let you download & install it on more than one computer?

September 27, 2011 5:59:58 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Fulano5321,
I usually get video games to play with my family. My wife and I play Civilization 4 and Heroes 5 together often, and we play Wii games with our kids. We're interested in playing SoaSE together but if I buy the game from Impluse is it going to make me pay twice to be able to install the game on our two computers so we can play over a LAN? Or do they let you download & install it on more than one computer?

Yes, that is fine. You're allowed to digitally download the game as many times as you need to on computers you personally own.

September 27, 2011 7:59:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Fulano5321,
Right now $20 is more than I can afford.    And with this new expansion coming out I think I'll wait until they offer an even better deal.

In some way, it is already a "better deal" since rebellion will be a full package ( original sins + Entrenchment+ Diplomacy + Rebellion )...

Hope that it will be released for Christmas...

As for the money side, if i divide what i have pay for sins and all expansions by the amount of hours that i have play in the last 4 years, it is one of the cheapest game that i know... specially when compare to other game that you pay 50$ for around 50 hours of play...

October 1, 2011 10:25:54 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Wait... Rebellion includes the full package?  Why are you guys encouraging me to buy Trinity? 

I think I'm hooked enough that I'll buy the game.  It looks like it's hitting the right stage of maturity that it's worth buying now.  It's got some good modding tools, patches to fix most the errors, expansions to fix the weak spots.  Plus my wife likes it better than the other RTS games we have. 

October 2, 2011 6:20:40 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Fulano5321,
Wait... Rebellion includes the full package? Why are you guys encouraging me to buy Trinity?

Because Trinity is now... Rebellion have not yet a official release date... and when the post was made, buying Trinity allowed a 10$ discount on Rebellion pre-order ( until end september )... in some way, it was like having Trinity for 10$... well, it is too late now...

Quoting Fulano5321,
It looks like it's hitting the right stage of maturity that it's worth buying now.

It was worth buying from the beginning... now, it become a "must have"... pretty sure that with year, it will become a "classic"...

Quoting Fulano5321,
Plus my wife likes it better than the other RTS games we have.

Not the first time that i read similar comment... soase seem to have a strong seduction power for "wife"... will not surprise me if soase was with a highter ratio women/men that other sci-fi space game... have always think that Diplomacy was more a women thing... Well, the huge titan from Rebellion will allow men to compensate for...

October 2, 2011 11:55:55 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The only woman I know who plays this game is Kitkun.  At least in the online multiplayer PvP scene, it's men only.  That's probably because women just don't have the cajones and competitiveness needed to play PvP.  So, it's an anatomy thing.  (Which is kinda weird because I know some chicks who play online multiplayer PvP first person shooters.)

October 2, 2011 1:22:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting DirtySanchezz,
The only woman I know who plays this game is Kitkun. At least in the online multiplayer PvP scene, it's men only. That's probably because women just don't have the cajones and competitiveness needed to play PvP. So, it's an anatomy thing. (Which is kinda weird because I know some chicks who play online multiplayer PvP first person shooters.)

I think a simple equation will show that competitiveness is at most a minor reason for this phenomena.

Number of Women on Sins multiplayer = Total Number of women * % of women who play video games * % of women who play video games who got Sins * % of Sins players who play multiplayer

As you often say Dirty 99% of the people who play Sins don't play multiplayer, and as I'm sure far more males even purchased Sins in the first place, I don't think its much of a surprise or has anything to do with competitiveness. Though the general perceived bad multiplayer community might be an even bigger barrier to entry for the ones who do, who knows.

November 2, 2011 9:13:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I cant find the serial code on my trinity case and im not sure where the serial code is

November 2, 2011 9:14:56 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You were answered in the first thread you posted in, spamming the forums isn't going to help you.

November 7, 2011 1:15:20 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well... my wife says she likes it because it's not as stressful as other RTS games.  In games like Age of Empires or Starcraft, taking a few seconds to make a decision could cost you the game.

In Sins you can queue up stuff so you have time to think, and even if you don't decide right away things are automated enough that you won't die while you figure out what to do.

November 7, 2011 1:45:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Fulano5321,
In Sins you can queue up stuff so you have time to think, and even if you don't decide right away things are automated enough that you won't die while you figure out what to do.

Try playing multiplayer sometime, see if that axiom still holds up.

November 7, 2011 10:23:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

LAN games (and even custom games online as well as regular games online) can be a lot of fun. My buds and I tend to set everything to slow so that we have more time to think, drink drinks and overall just laugh and have fun while playing the game both against each other and against the AI.

Sins is a VERY configurable game as far as settings go. PLUS you can save multi-player games!

Another neat thing is that largely the developers listen to the player base. Having been here from the beginning Sins has been shaped by what the players of the game have suggested. Hopefully here in the next month the Rebellion beta will begin and those that preorder (both prior and during) should have access to the beta not just to play it but help shape it to be a better game as well.

Either way, welcome to the community! If you all ever want to have a casual game (as a team or free for all) you can save, come back to it later, and have a computer automatically step in for a missing player or two, let us know. Myself and a few others usually like that sort of thing.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000750   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+