Stardock

Object Dock - Performance and Issues

3D Apps

By on May 6, 2011 9:36:44 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

JuanAlvarez...

Join Date 08/2010

I love this software makes my desktop looks very organized while still having almost 60 diferent shortcuts, but I have had many small issues and some very big ones since i start using this app this year * since v 2 plus release *...

1. ) The Tab docks sometimes show the names of the icons and sometimes it show shows the tab but the names are behind the windows....Is there a fix for this ?

2. ) My Workstation is really nice 3 sli nvidia cards, 12 GB of Corsair Dom and i7 sandy bridge  4.2ghz oc , SSD and raptor HDDs...and still i am having performance issues when i enable object dock on different areas, most of them in 3D Apps * Autodesk and Maxon products mostly *

Is there any fix for this...I would hate to go and try to find other app that does everything as many docks and tab docks....

4 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 6, 2011 10:06:41 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

And were can I see the version I have install, as this app doesn't have an about buttom....and were is the changelog for latest versions, or updates, since I don'twant to install impulse as i just want to get object dock and not a 3rd party app that does nothing but slow my computer.

May 6, 2011 10:21:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The free version of Object Dock doesn't require impulse.  The paid version which has tabbed docks does.

Impulse will not slow your computer down.  You can turn it off after you've used it to install the paid version of Object Dock.

I use the paid version of object dock on a six core AMD based computer.  My computer isn't as fast as yours and I don't see Object Dock consuming much CPU or memory.  I've looked at the Win 7 resource monitor and it doesn't show Object Dock consuming much of anything when I use it.

The Docks and Tabs can be set to be "Always On Top" but the Icon Names stay in the background.  I don't know of any workaround for that.

May 7, 2011 9:48:50 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I use docks exclusively now. no more icons on my screen. Objectdock2 (free version) had just one glitch after I installed bins and that happened only one time. I now use OD2 free, Nexus Ultimate and bins. World of difference and all good. For me anyway. Kudos to all the devs.

October 18, 2011 9:50:34 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Performance - I've certainly got issues with that when it comes to starting ObjectDock. 

My main dock has a 100 or so icons on its tabs. It takes about 2 mins to load. My 'taskbar' dock loads immediately, and as soon as my tabbed dock finishes loading the 'system tray' dock loads instantly.

I'm guessing that when my tabbed dock starts up it goes and checks each one of the links to see if it's valid or not - That's the only reason I can think of for the delay & all the disk chewing.

If that is what happens couldn't there be an option to tell the dock to just have faith that the links are good & load them anyway?

Issues - That one with the icon names appearing behind windows is a real pain in the proverbial - When oh when will they fix that one?

Here's a weird issue - I run two monitors, my secondary to the right of the main. When I log in to Windows, the initial mouse position is at the bottom right of the secondary. If I forget to move the pointer (which I can't see at that point) over to the main monitor, my tabbed dock, which should be TDC on the main, appears TDC on the secondary.  Basically, I have one dock out of three that loads onto whichever monitor the mouse is on when the program loads. Go figure...

I did ask support about the last two issues but never got a reply.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000640   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+