Stardock

Game of Thrones

By on April 7, 2011 2:06:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1120

So who has been keeping up with this?

As some of you know, the concept for the family tree in War of Magic was inspired by this series. Great series of books.

103 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 20, 2011 2:49:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Having not read the books (waiting for entire series to be published) the premier left me feeling fairly lost. It was good, but I think it may require a second watch if I'm to follow the series.

April 20, 2011 4:14:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting TheProgress,
Having not read the books (waiting for entire series to be published) the premier left me feeling fairly lost. It was good, but I think it may require a second watch if I'm to follow the series.

Honestly this is why I am waiting for a few episodes to lapse before I check it out on Demand.

April 21, 2011 7:26:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

For new viewer help, the character cheat sheet: http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/Game-of-Thrones-Houses-infographic-Westeros-101-f.jpg and the episode recap for anything you might have missed: http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/game-of-thrones-season-1-episode-1/

April 21, 2011 8:05:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Just how closely are they going to actually follow the books though?

Spoilers be damned... some of those actors must have signed short contracts...

April 25, 2011 6:54:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't think it's confusing at all, it seems very straight forward and I haven't read the books.

If the series can keep the quality as high as the 1st and 2nd episode, this has the potential to be the best fantasy tv series of all time. Of all time.

April 25, 2011 7:58:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yeah, good news is that critics got preview copies of the first 6 episodes and many of them felt #2 was the weakest, with #5 and 6 being the best, which bodes well considering I enjoyed #2.

Here is the episode 2 recap for those interested:http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/game-of-thrones-second-episode/

April 28, 2011 10:55:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The 5th book, A Dance with Dragons is officially finished: http://winter-is-coming.net/2011/04/is-the-dance-done/  release date is July 12th

May 10, 2011 10:08:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

One thing I'm not getting. They don't have the same seasons we have in real life? Their winter can last longer than a "year"? And the series is currently in a summer that has lasted "years"?

May 10, 2011 11:08:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Great show, hooked on it, only upset first day had 3 episodes back to back & last sunday only 1 show, sorta upset me.

May 10, 2011 4:35:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
One thing I'm not getting. They don't have the same seasons we have in real life? Their winter can last longer than a "year"? And the series is currently in a summer that has lasted "years"?

The seasons are basically random in length.  They last X number of years.  So the current summer lasted 8 years but the previous winter lasted 4 years or something like that.  

May 10, 2011 4:44:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Oh ok, thanks. That puts a lot more depth behind the "winter is coming" motto.

May 16, 2011 11:23:58 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Why is this topic so empty while this awesome show is being shown?

Especially after the last episode it needs to be talked about

May 17, 2011 2:40:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Someone working on a 3d rts game apparently, http://www.agot-genesis.com/ 

All the info released found at http://www.agot-genesis.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27 

May 17, 2011 4:43:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The same company is working on a RPG as well.

May 17, 2011 10:04:06 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting TorinReborn,
Why is this topic so empty while this awesome show is being shown?

Especially after the last episode it needs to be talked about

There is a lot of chat on the HBO site.

May 30, 2011 10:30:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Another excellent episode, this series really is like nothing I've seen before on TV. The pace is very high, the story nothing like the run-of-the-mill "hero out to save the world" script that has been forced down our throats for so long.

May 30, 2011 5:48:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting NetNomad,

The seasons are basically random in length.  They last X number of years.  So the current summer lasted 8 years but the previous winter lasted 4 years or something like that.  

I haven't read the books, but are you sure that "winter" isn't simply a metaphor for generally hard times/war?  Because if you're correct, that's an awfully strange coincidence that the last war was around the same time of the last 'winter' IIRC.  Times of peace, seem synonymous with 'the warm season'.

And whenever Ned says "winter is coming", it's most often whenever they're discussing feuding houses and the likelihood of a war on the horizon (and not so much the weather).

June 10, 2011 9:50:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Just watched the first three episodes, and I must say that this is easily the best show on the box right now.  Sean Bean just eats it up like a fucking boss.  I haven't read any of the books - probably to my shame - however I'm finding this easy to follow and enjoyable to boot, though a few names seem to slip past.

As for the "winter is coming" thing, I think it's their motto because they spend their time in the north getting prepared for the cold, heartless winters that can last years at a time.  It doubles for them as a saying because they're always preparing for the bad times.  Ned was talking to his little girl about being nice to her older sister because she was going to be married off to the price; "winter is coming" is a way of saying "be nice, because when the shit hits the fan you'll need friends."

June 10, 2011 12:12:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

"Winter is coming" most definitely is about the weather, although I can totally see a double meaning in there.  In their world the winters last for years on end thus making every moment of the summer days important for preparation purposes.  With all the political intrigue and the upheaval of fighting and the changing of the thrown all their prep time is used in those endeavors instead.  Not to mention the blue eyed monsters run wild during the winter months/years so the Winter is a very dire time for the people, more-so for those in the north.

June 17, 2011 10:35:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The longer you watch it, the funnier it gets.

June 29, 2011 9:34:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I can´t believe it.  The postman brought me "A Dance with a Dragon" one minute ago. 5 1/2 year waiting time. I´m shocked and excited.     

EDIT/

From G. R. R. Martins Blog...

Guys, it's all over the web - Twitter, forums, everywhere. Amazon Germany screwed up and let somewhere in the ballpark of 200 copies go early.

wheeee....

April 21, 2012 9:33:40 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I never read the books, but decided give it a try 2 weeks ago, during easter, watched the entire first season with my bro....

TBF i am not much into fantasy genre, although i quite enjoyed reading/watching LoTR, i prefer sci-fi and things like Diablo III currently, WoW, Witcher, etc... leave me uninterested. So i approached this with bit of a scepticism, but need to say, was very pleasantly surprised. Its really, really great, i love the story, the characters (Peter Dinklage FTW! ),  basically everything....its very well done, does not feel cheap, like it happens sometimes with this kind of stuff... i even started thinking about getting those books, once i finish reading Lovecrafts anthology...

Only one thing, i keep saying to myself, how utterly brilliant would it be, if the setting was sci-fi instead of fantasy, it would have probably babylon 5-esque potential....  

April 21, 2012 10:18:25 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It's funny the horrible stuff people can digest. Battlestar Galactica and this... Scary mindless stuff. No plot. No acting. No characterization. Nothing except the same cheap story told over and over again.

April 21, 2012 10:36:56 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting 137,
It's funny the horrible stuff people can digest. Battlestar Galactica and this... Scary mindless stuff. No plot. No acting. No characterization. Nothing except the same cheap story told over and over again.

Give it a chance!

April 21, 2012 10:39:36 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Oh but I did. That's why I say so. I forgot, in between the characteristics, that the show introduces some public scenes of sex (like Spartacus and others before it) to give an atmosphere of "fantasy" debauchery. What sadness.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000922   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+