Stardock

Shogun 2 is Freaking Awesome!!!!!

Hell Yeah!!!!!!!

By on March 15, 2011 8:22:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

RavenX

Join Date 10/2008
+153

For the last 4 or 5 hours I've been laying here in bed playing Shogun 2. Holy sh!t this game is Awesome!!! I just can't say that enough. I'm on normal difficulty and from a campaign perspective, I'm just holding my own. I started my campaign as the Shimazu Clan. So far I've managed to take 3 cities while holding off the combined alliance attacks of two of my enemies. That's right, Combined Attacks. Allies actually help each other do battle on a regular occasion. They plan and coordinate strikes. The diplomatic AI is great in Shogun 2, which to my knowledge is a true first for the series at launch. I just had a pitched battle against one of my enemies and won verses 2 to 1 odds, but took heavy casualties. At the end of that battle, that particular enemy sued for peace, which I took.

The battle AI is much improved as well. I can't really use Empire:TW as an example as the mechanics are different, so I'll use Med2. The battle AI attacks head on without delay when on the offensive, defends smartly when on the defensive, and knows when to pull back and regroup. The only small complaint I've found in the battle AI is from time to time the AI knows when I tell my cavalry to attack a bow unit and the bow unit starts running before my cavalry even gets there. It's like it detects the attack "click". When I tell my cavalry to move to behind the enemy bow units instead of clicking on them to attack I get the surprise attack I wanted to begin with.

I imagine under heavy scrutiny there might be a few other small quarks, but, over-all I'd have to say both the strategic and battle AI in Shogun 2 are Much Improved over the other games in the series. To call Shogun 2 anything other than a "Masterpiece of Strategy Gaming" would be a flat out lie. The full game is Way Improved over the demo. The demo was good and I'd say 85% accurate of the final product, but, there have been improvements since the demo to the full release. The graphics, simply put, are Amazing. They bring a feeling and atmosphere to the game that almost makes you feel like you're really in feudal Japan. The sound track for the game, with it's heavy use of Japanese drumming is killer as well. The battles feel truly Epic, they really do, and I haven't even gotten to the point where I fight with the maximum allowed number of units yet.

Other companies need to sit up and take notice. Shogun 2 is everything a grand strategic war-game needs to be, plain and simple. The campaign map is vibrant and feels alive. The strategic AI is a genuine challenge, and the battle AI, while of course not as good as a fellow human, is leaps and bounds ahead of the rest of the TW series at launch.

After I've spent some real time in the campaign I'll post a proper review or an A.A.R. or something for those wanting one. So far though, the game is as close to war-gaming perfection as I've ever seen at launch. If you liked any of the other TW games, Don't Miss Shogun 2, period.

124 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 31, 2011 7:31:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Shogun 2 good, my friend.  Consider wisdom of the warrior.  He who stick flaming katana down throat for entertainment just as wise as Chinese man who dance in sour cream till his feet are white.

May 31, 2011 7:44:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Upon some more time and reflection, is the AI as moronic as the last couple of offerings?

May 31, 2011 8:06:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think the AI's somewhat better this time.   He camps on the high ground sometimes.  The solo cavalry charge into your spearmen doesn't happen so much.  He's pretty good at assaulting strongholds.

June 1, 2011 10:27:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting tetleytea,
I think the AI's somewhat better this time.   He camps on the high ground sometimes.  The solo cavalry charge into your spearmen doesn't happen so much.  He's pretty good at assaulting strongholds.

Well, that's good to hear. I thought ETW was absolutely disgraceful in that aspect so it's good that they are improving.

Perhaps I'll pick up Shogun II when it drops to around $20. No time right now anyway.

June 2, 2011 5:14:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Comparing to ETW, the Shogun AI is a lot better. Napoleon already had a lot better AI, Shogun is about the same level I think.

Where Shogun shines in, IMHO, is the campaign. The map, units, amount of clans. Everything just works together very well. The strategic AI is not overly smart and still suffers from some ages old problems of the series, but it's entertaining. The tactical AI can challenge me, and I've been playing the series since the first Shogun. Every Total War game and almost every expansion.

To put it short, I think it's the best game in the series so far. On par with the Third Age mod for Medieval 2, and that's saying a lot 

June 3, 2011 12:31:14 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

with close to 300 hrs of game play on STW2 im back to dark avatar. i find it more challenging. have beaten legendary with 6 clans, uesegi still a pain for me. i just get bored playing it now. i find music boring and always skip the speeches, i dont want to read subtitles.

eye candy can only keep me interested for awhile, i find ai is more scripted than intelligent during battles just like the demo.

June 3, 2011 3:16:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

300 hours of game play and it was able to entertain you for "only a while"? Wow.

June 3, 2011 2:27:21 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

im retired, 300 hrs can go by in a couple months easy. RTW, i have over 1000 hrs on only the vanilla. played RTW just for the music and the speeches.

played Evony online for a month straight, 10hrs a day, only stopped cause i dont have unlimited broadband, cost me an extra $30 that month.

June 3, 2011 2:30:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

To be fair, I would consider 300 hours fair value from any game. Anything more than an hour per USD is fair value, in my book.

June 3, 2011 5:10:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Evony isn't really a game, it's a treadmill designed to get microtransactions out of people. The actual "game" part of it is extremely simplistic.

June 3, 2011 7:32:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Learn from the Shogun, my apprentice.   Learn from Haiku:

Chinese man eat fish

Salmonella Poisoning

Toilet seat long time

June 4, 2011 9:00:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Confucius says: He who farts in church sits in his own pew.

June 4, 2011 10:29:16 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting tetleytea,
Learn from the Shogun, my apprentice.   Learn from Haiku:

Well, since i have install Shogun II, the impersonal and unhelpful Microsoft error messages on my computer have been replaced with their own Japanese haiku poetry :

Windows NT crashed.
I am the Blue Screen of Death.
No one hears your screams.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The Web site you seek
Can not be located but
Countless more exist
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.
ABORTED effort:
Close all that you have worked on.
You ask way too much.
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that.
First snow, then silence.
This thousand dollar screen dies
so beautifully.
With searching comes loss
and the presence of absence:
"My Novel" not found.
The Tao that is seen
Is not the true Tao, until
You bring fresh toner.
Stay the patient course
Of little worth is your ire
The network is down
A crash reduces
your expensive computer
to a simple stone.
Three things are certain:
Death, taxes, and lost data.
Guess which has occurred.
You step in the stream,
but the water has moved on.
This page is not here.
Out of memory.
We wish to hold the whole sky,
But we never will.
Having been erased,
The document you're seeking
Must now be retyped.
Serious error.
All shortcuts have disappeared.
Screen. Mind. Both are blank.

June 4, 2011 10:54:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Thoumsin,

Quoting tetleytea, reply 111Learn from the Shogun, my apprentice.   Learn from Haiku:

Well, since i have install Shogun II, the impersonal and unhelpful Microsoft error messages on my computer have been replaced with their own Japanese haiku poetry :

Windows NT crashed.
I am the Blue Screen of Death.
No one hears your screams.
A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
The Web site you seek
Can not be located but
Countless more exist
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.
ABORTED effort:
Close all that you have worked on.
You ask way too much.
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that.
First snow, then silence.
This thousand dollar screen dies
so beautifully.
With searching comes loss
and the presence of absence:
"My Novel" not found.
The Tao that is seen
Is not the true Tao, until
You bring fresh toner.
Stay the patient course
Of little worth is your ire
The network is down
A crash reduces
your expensive computer
to a simple stone.
Three things are certain:
Death, taxes, and lost data.
Guess which has occurred.
You step in the stream,
but the water has moved on.
This page is not here.
Out of memory.
We wish to hold the whole sky,
But we never will.
Having been erased,
The document you're seeking
Must now be retyped.
Serious error.
All shortcuts have disappeared.
Screen. Mind. Both are blank.

That's seriously some cool quotes!

I laughted out loud at

--------------------------------

"Three things are certain:

Death, taxes and lost data.

Guess which has occured."

---------------------------------

Have you studied poetry or something?   It's really good!

June 4, 2011 2:03:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Campaigner,
Have you studied poetry or something?   It's really good!

Nope, only play Shogun 2... not yet 300 hours like some people here... but the game quote is good for inspiration... by the way, only one is from me... other are from various other people... come from a Linux site forum where a topic make fun of Microsoft Windows...

June 4, 2011 4:47:58 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Tridus,
Evony isn't really a game, it's a treadmill designed to get microtransactions out of people. The actual "game" part of it is extremely simplistic.

if you break it down there really is no difference between evony and stw2.

i dont wish to knock CA, but they have no clue on how to make a strategy game( just look at the market chain). tw series games were and always will be about the battles, the campaign has always been a byproduct. now everyone is demanding more strategy but CA cant deliver.

evony might be simplistic in game mechanics but when dealing with real people nothing is simplistic. you find out quickly that there are only a few people with real power in the game, the leaders. 100's do whatever the leader tells them. trying to be a leader is the hard part, you need personality, diplomacy,tactics,etc. evony is very much how things work in reality, after all it is real people you are playing against.

July 12, 2011 4:54:22 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Kamamura_CZ,
3) Fantasy units like heavily armored women with naginata appear in the game (Onna Bushi)...

Just for info, check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onna_bugeisha

July 12, 2011 4:00:25 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Thormodr,
Confucius says: He who farts in church sits in his own pew.

Confucius says too: Man who stand on toilet high on pot.

September 30, 2011 6:24:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

By the powers of thread necromancy I ask the question: has anyone tried the Shogun 2 DLCs? Specifically I'm interested in the Rise of the Samurai one, which proposes to add a new campaign. $10 doesn't seem much for a new campaign. Anyone have thoughts?

October 1, 2011 1:41:07 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting pomalley,
By the powers of thread necromancy I ask the question: has anyone tried the Shogun 2 DLCs? Specifically I'm interested in the Rise of the Samurai one, which proposes to add a new campaign. $10 doesn't seem much for a new campaign. Anyone have thoughts?

I have it... well, it is almost a other game... research tree are totally different, agent are different, several new unit, etc... it is worth the few $$$...

Beware, when the DLC "Rise of the Samurai" is download via Steam, Shogun 2 don't start anymore... you need to manually rerun the "vcredist_x86.exe" found in "Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/total war shogun 2/redist"... again Steam have mess up thing...

For info, with the DLC is included new content for the original shogun 2 and a patch that people who don't have the DLC will not enjoy... You are almost obligate to buy the DLC if you wish to stay updated with the original game...

Below, a quote with everything who is changed :

"patch accompanying Rise of the Samurai

Complete patch contents

Free castle pack

Three newly-designed castles specifically for the Shogun 2 campaign map:

o 1 standard sized castle of new configuration
o 1 standard sized castle on a clifftop with limited approaches
o 1 top-tier castle, considerably larger than any other castle in Shogun 2

Each castle appears across five maps, resulting in 15 new siege battle-map variants.
These maps do not appear in the Rise of The Samurai DLC campaign.

Multiplayer balances and tweaks

Influence point changes:

• Corruption and logistics: clans will suffer a cumulative 5% cost in influence point gain for every province beyond 3 that they own (with a maximum penalty of 95%).
• Points loss: Every time a player loses a match-made battle, they will lose 50% of the clan influence they would have gained for a victory.
Filters:
• A number of filters have been added to help display the strategic situations of your own and other clans in the clan competition.
• You can now cycle through and view all other worlds in the clan competition as well as search for a specific clan and view the world they are operating in
• Filters have been added to sort retainers into smaller concise lists based on units and weapon restrictions.

Rewards:

There is now a series of rewards for players whose clans are promoted:

• Winner of clan competition (Mon, Crest, Helmet)
• Promotion into tier 1 (Mon, Crest)
• Promotion (Mon, Crest)

• Upon reaching level 10, Avatars can now be promoted to a new Prestige level and re-play the avatar conquest mode.
• Coloured ranking stars are now used to define the current Prestige of an avatar: Bronze; Silver and Gold
• Upon promotion to a new Prestige level, the avatar’s skill-tree is reset, but his units retain their veterancy, and he retains any armour pieces, retainers earned through armour pieces and clan tokens
• Upon promotion to a new Prestige level, Avatars gain +10 Veteran Slots
• Higher-Prestige avatars require consequently more XP to level, and cost more to field.
Matchmaking
• Match-made battles will now prioritise avatar level when attempting to match players, taking into account ELO rating.

General UI improvements:

• The XP bar on the avatar screen now shows current and required XP for a rank increase
• Avatar rank is now shown on the pre-battle setup screen of all users
• The player’s current number of clan tokens is now displayed on the skills tree
• Locked icons have been added to retainer slots which currently can’t be used
• Units and retainers which cannot be used in the next battle have been made more visible.

Stats:

Ladder and overall stats have been rearranged for clarification and ease of use.

Battle UI:

An avatar’s primary skill-set is now displayed on the avatar’s banner in battles. This is based on the skill tree with the most skill points spent within it.

Siege Battles:

• Time limit added to siege battles (45 mins)
• The small funds bracket has been removed from match-made siege battles
• The Kyoto and Buatsui castle maps have been removed from match-making map pool

New Maps

• 11 New battle maps have been added:
• Chubu Pass
• Chugoku River
• Ehime Gorge
• Gunma Field
• Hokuriku Crossing
• Kansai Wood
• Kanto Plains
• Koshinetsu Ridge
• Saga River
• Tohoku Forest
• Tokai Valley
• All non-key building maps have been removed from the match-making map pool.

Naval Battles:

• Funding bracket adjustments
• Small: 5000 (no change)
• Medium: 10,000 (down from 14,000)
• Large: 18,000 (down from 24,000)

Drop-in Battles

• Avatars now get awarded XP if the player participates in a drop-in battle
• The amount of XP awarded is double the base win/loss XP for avatar battles

Multiplayer balancing

Retainers

• Tetsu-Bishi Caltrops: spear and missile units’ bonus vs cav increased from +3 to +4
• Camp Sickness: missile units’ speed debuff increased
• Gokamon Bodyguard: avatar melee defence increased from +5 to +6
• Scroll of Inspirational verse: avatar melee attack increased from +3 to +4
• Supply Wagon: missile units’ extra ammo increased from +5 to +8
• Kacchu-Mochi Armour-Bearer: avatar armour increased from +3 to +4
• Mouldy Feed Stocks: enemy cavalry fatigue resistance debuff increased
• Uma-Jirushi Nobori Standard-Bearer: avatar morale buff increased from +2 to +3
• Lightweight Gunjingura War Saddle: cavalry speed buff increased from +5% to +10%
• Zori Tori Sandal-Bearer: avatar fatigue resistance increased
• Yabusami Master: avatar accuracy and reload speed increased from +5/+5 to +7/+7
• Untrained Fugu Cook : Effect now applies to sword infantry only
• Trading Post: cost decrease for all units reduced from -5% to -4%
• Drill Square: sword infantry melee defence bonus reduced from +3 to +2.
• Yagyu Sword Instructor: sword infantry melee attack bonus reduced from +2 to +1.
• World Weary: accuracy debuff reduced from -5 to -3, melee attack debuff reduced from -2 to -1

Multiplayer units

• Loan Sword Ashigaru: cost from 400 to 500
• Bow Warrior Monks: cost from 1000 to 1100
• Matchlock Ashigaru: cost from 400 to 500
• Great Guard: cost from 1200 to 1300
• Daiyku Samurai : cost from 1000 to 1100
• Fire Bomb Throwers: cost from 700 to 600
• Yari Hero: cost from 1550 to 1200
• Bow Hero: cost from 1650 to 1500
• Katana Hero: cost from 1600 to 1500
• Naginata Warrior Monk Hero: cost from 1700 to 1500
• Kisho Ninja: cost from 700 to 600
• Matchlock Samurai: cost from 700 to 650
• Bow Cavalry: cost from 650 to 600

Naval units:

• Bow Kobaya: cost from 850 to 500
• Fire Bomb Kobaya cost from 1050 to 700
• Medium Bune: cost from 1800 to 1550
Fire arrow ability added
• Siege Tower Bune: cost from 1550 to 3000
• Sengoku Bune: cost from 2000 to 1800
• Cannon Bune: cost from 4000 to 6000
• Heavy Bune: cost from 2400 to 2000
Fire arrow ability added
• Admiral Heavy Bune Fire arrow ability added

Unit caps introduced:

Land units

• Loan Sword Ashigaru 4
• Bow Warrior Monks 2
• Matchlock Ashigaru 3
• Matchlock Monks 1
• Matchlock Samurai 2
• Naginata Attendants 5
• Sword Attendants 6
• Great Guard 1
• Bow Cavalry 3

Naval units
• Cannon Bune 1
• Fire Bomb Kobaya 4
• Siege Tower Bune 4
• Matchlock Kobaya 6
• Medium Bune 6
• Sengoku Bune 6
• Nihon Maru 1
• O Ataka Bune 4
• Heavy Bune 6
• Bow Kobaya 6

Veteran Skills

• Matchlock Accuracy upgrades reduced
• Sword unit melee attack skill upgrades reduced
• Sword unit charge bonus upgrades reduced

Free XP weekends

The ability to run XP multiplier weekends is now in the codebase. We’re now planning a series of weekend events in which individual unit types, Avatars, specific clans and more can gain experience and veterancy at increased rates, and drop-rates for legendary items and retainers can be increased.
Keep an eye on Steam and the Total War forums for more information in coming weeks!

Bug Fix list

Achievements:

• The Mastery of the waves achievement will no longer unlock in rare instances after a land battle

AI:

• Naval AI will now attempt to repair damaged ships
• Path finding improvements for Naval AI when near to land
• Siege Battle AI improvements, in larger games especially, the AI will be much more reactive to player actions
• Several battle AI improvements.
• Multiple Campaign AI improvements, including new AI weighting to prevent attempts at raiding when sieging castles.
• Fixed Wako Pirate fleets occasionally remaining idle after spawning in campaign

Art:
• Updated Avatar skill icons, both in UI and in battle to allow visual identification of avatar type
Improved appearance of campaign on low spec machines

Audio:

• Several voice over audio fixes for in-battle VO
• Voice over and audio fixes for Campaign map A bit too similar

Campaign

• Fixed post battle lockup
• Public order and town wealth growth penalties on High and Extortionate taxation levels were greatly reduced
• Fixed issue with religious agents incorrectly modifying chance of success of bribe actions
• Fixed rebels spawning inside zones of control
• Fixed multi-turn incite revolt orders not being cancelled when a there is a rebellion in target province
• Apprehend action now costs money
• Improved flee behaviour for bribed characters
• Fixed case where a coastal assault battle would involve the castle
• Fixed multi-turn attack orders not being invalidated by successful bribes
• Fixed being able to order more recruitment items from a general than there is room to display them
• Fixed issue where discovered characters may not update the pathfinder correctly
• Fixed issue where bribe system would incorrectly invoke diplomacy UI
• Fixed issue where flee orders would crash in some circumstances
• Fixed issue where leave settlement orders would crash in some circumstances
• Fixed several retainer and trait effects
• Several text tweaks to make the application of specific effects clear (local, global, etc.)
• Siege model have sound now
• Various AI fixes and tweaks

Combat:

• Fixed infrequent issue with projectile damage during the increased range skill for Matchlock Warrior Monks (Matchlock Warrior Monks)
• Fixed a cavalry charge bug that would allow cavalry to maintain a charge bonus despite not charging

Crashes:

• Fixed a number of Multiplayer campaign desyncs
• Fixed Crash when returning to main menu after completing a multiplayer campaign
• Fixed a rare crash on exiting a multiplayer land battle
• Fixed a crash when the user attempts to quick load whilst the game is displaying an FMV
• Fixed uncommon crash during intermediate land tutorial
• Fixed soft lock when attempting to view certain battle ranking statistics in the Multiplayer avatar system
• Fixed infrequent AI recruitment crash during the Chosokabe campaign tutorial
• Fixed soft lock during steam invites when on certain screens in the Multiplayer avatar system
• Player is no longer able to accept invites to play a Multiplayer game without creating an avatar, preventing a rare crash
• Fixed a crash that occurred in Multiplayer game when the user selects the request alliance button after breaking the alliance on the diplomacy screen
• Fixed soft lock that occurs when deleting a save game generated during a battle
• Fixed D3D graphics crash that occurred very rarely on creation of new avatar
• Fixed a soft lock that occurred when declaring war on the vassal of another player in a Multiplayer campaign

General:

• The possibility of unchecking all battle types and searching in made multiplayer battles has been removed
• Added a limit to veteran names, preventing unreadable names on the battlefield
• Avatar colour scheme now defaults to the army colour scheme when first created
• The escape button will now cancel rather than confirm skill point allocation in the campaign map
• AI will now recognise switching sides cost changes during a custom battle setup screen
• Rank differential penalty will no longer be applied to Campaign drop-in battles
• New 100% bonus modifier for winning a drop in battle
• Ikko Ikki Loan Sword Ashigaru are now fully playable as the Ikko Ikki clan in Campaign and custom battle. They are recruited from the Castle chain
• The Goldfish Scale Sashimono no longer floats above the avatar model in multiplayer battles
• Fixed a rare issue in which banners and mons would not save correctly in a multiplayer battle replay
• Avatar statistics will correctly update after playing a battle list battle in multiplayer
• Several campaign missions have had their bonuses tweaked or reworked
• Cannon Bunes are now able to fire at will correctly in all situations
• The Highlight tooltip occasionally got imposed on the campaign map when quick saving, this is now fixed
• Fixed a rare error that would cause the Leaderboard in multiplayer to not display with the message “Error: Requested Profile could not be found message when selecting Leaderboard”
• Updates to the Multiplayer avatar conquest map
• Multiplayer clan competition UI reworked to allow viewing of multiple tiers
• Multiplayer Naval fund brackets adjusted
• Fixed inability to use the cycle through generals button in campaign if more than 13 generals were available
• Multiplayer unit balancing, see multiplayer announcements for further information
• Fixed several bugs within the retainers in the Multiplayer avatar system
• Scare enemies now correctly functions at all times in Multiplayer battles
• Fixed the possibility of Multiplayer units levelling up mid battle and gaining stats in certain larger games in Multiplayer land/siege battles
• Drop in battles can no longer rarely unlock two regions from the same battle
• Fixed a server issue causing Avatar profile details to not be retrieved correctly
• Post battle xp calculations are correctly taking into account several new variables and tweaked values
• Katana of the pure land is no longer being incorrectly displayed as a legendary retainer and will drop slightly more frequently
• Fixed several hyperlink within the Encyclopaedia leading to incorrect pages
• Multiplayer army management UI now scales to display all units correctly without overlapping
• References to gold in the multiplayer system now reference Koku
• Player list in Multiplayer campaign now displays correctly if dragged across to another point on the screen
• Locked units are now viewable in the Multiplayer army management screen
• Fixed an issue when the player would be set as the attacker instead of defender when selected in custom battles
• Fixed a rare issue caused by attempting to add retainers during Multiplayer pre-battle setup
• Home key now selects and zooms to the General in battles
• Fixed a rare occurrence in multiplayer that would cause scroll bars to not appear
• Avatar rank will display correctly in stars during the post battle screen of a multiplayer match made battle
• Fixed an infrequent bug that would cause avatar competition regions to not display correctly
• UI art fix for ink blot style graphical errors appearing on unit cards in the Multiplayer army management screen
• Fixed an issue that would cause Avatar xp to display incorrectly when coming out of a match made battle
• Matchlock troops veteran skills rebalanced in Multiplayer
• Multiplayer unit caps implemented, see Multiplayer announcement for details
• UI fix to address the rare bug that would limit the amount of veterans that could be displayed
• AI players in Multiplayer and custom battles will no longer display the players steam picture and rank
• Post battle Avatar xp bar will now fill correctly if the avatar gains enough xp to gain a rank
• Rank 0 Avatars will now have the correct 0 star in pre-battle chat lobbies in Multiplayer
• Weighting for mission generation will now always correctly fire a relevant mission in Campaign
• Minor text/grammar fixes"

October 1, 2011 2:52:56 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Co-op campaign is the only reason I would still play this game, but it is unequivocally the worst functioning part of the game. It has had desync problems from day one that force the players to save at every opportunity, wait for it to crash, have the person that saved send his save file to the other play, then continue the damn game. Obviously they don't see this part of the game as essential, but it so sad to see the best part of a game wither and die. Meanwhile, the inconceivably popular multiplayer tactical battles continue to drone on. Considering how horrible the command structure is for that part of the game, I just have to sit in bewilderment at the number of people that enjoy it. You can't even keep formation without constantly resetting one's lines.

I hope they eventually make enough of these that it becomes more user friendly. 

October 4, 2011 1:22:50 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I finally beat my first legendary campaign a few months back,(as shimazu, surprise surprise) what fun!  I had a campaign going well as Oda  but then I went for the shogunate too soon and became public enemy number one.  That legendary campaign burnt me out since the Oda have like zero tolerance for error and I have yet to repeat it(i'd already repeated it 10 times before).

In my Shimazu game I set my taxes very high to do a reset on the game(I now have all the factions minus the kyuku factions), now I'm the shogun and everyone is allied with me!

Its great fun seeing most of the map (I have tons of agents) and seeing how the small wars between the small provinces unfold.

Play by play of successful Shimazu Legendary game:

I won my game by backstabbing my long term ally, who was about as large as me province wise(20+), but had all their troops deep in Takeda territory.  He was just ripe for the picking.

I had landed amphibious invasions and had some land next to kyoto which I struck my ally from, and also a northern amphibious assault to take a key castle north of Kyoto.  I then advanced from my two strongholds from the western end of Honshu and conquered 1-2 territories per army(2 armies) per turn with agents coming in to maintain order.

With the closing of the roads to kyoto my computer ally was effectively cut off from 90% of his empire.  He allied with my enemies (hooray for an excellent AI!!!) and they all proceeded to kick my ass around kyoto with every 3 armies of samurai to my 1 army of samurai.

I almost pissed myself when my farthest reaching territory (Hojo main province) was assaulted by no less than 8 fully fledged takeda armies.  The damn computer was smart enough to starve me out instead of pitching battle!  First time i've ever got my ass kicked by a computer making such a critically intelligent move.  On the plus side his road development sucked so I had plenty of time to deal with my computer allies revenge assault on my kyoto region castles, which I was just barely able to pull off against incredible odds(if the shogunate had actually intervened, i would have lost...that AI needs an improvement).  By the time the takeda forces showed up i had either bribed or defeated my old allies forces and then began to bribe/defeat his armies as well.  Considering my cashflow I don't think it was possible for me to lose, as my long term strategy had been 100% growth from the very beginning.  This makes the start of the game very difficult, but if you don't have the wealth at the end you won't be able to field the armies that you need to defeat the legendary AI.

In the end, The best AI campaign in the total war series i've ever played.

August 3, 2012 3:43:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Rise, Rise, RISE FROM THE DEAD oh thread! The meagre onomastikon hath questions!

For whatever reasons, I realize that I have this demo from steam on my machine and just checked it out now. (Yes I'm eclectic.) I like the flavor of it. I have never played a TW game before, so everything was new.

I thought to myself: Well, it's been well over a year, let's check it out: And it is still 40 Euros on steam. The expansions and other DLC also seem to be full price. I'm confused. Therefore, I must resort to necromancy and ask just a couple of questions of you wise people:

- the OP of this thread praised the AI beyond measure, while the majority of the others in the latter pages found it lacking. Has there been work on the AI in patches since release, and how is it now?

- Maybe Steam is quirky and the sales are elsewhere. I'm not too keen on purchasing from Steam anyway, for a number of reasons (doesn't do well with DLC, wants to be online all the time, seems to be expensive) -- so where does one go for sales?

- Any other advice, pointers, or opinions welcome. Thank you, fellow zombies!

August 5, 2012 3:20:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I haven't played it, but I do know that the game requires Steam to run.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000938   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+