Stardock

Shogun 2 is Freaking Awesome!!!!!

Hell Yeah!!!!!!!

By on March 15, 2011 8:22:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

RavenX

Join Date 10/2008
+153

For the last 4 or 5 hours I've been laying here in bed playing Shogun 2. Holy sh!t this game is Awesome!!! I just can't say that enough. I'm on normal difficulty and from a campaign perspective, I'm just holding my own. I started my campaign as the Shimazu Clan. So far I've managed to take 3 cities while holding off the combined alliance attacks of two of my enemies. That's right, Combined Attacks. Allies actually help each other do battle on a regular occasion. They plan and coordinate strikes. The diplomatic AI is great in Shogun 2, which to my knowledge is a true first for the series at launch. I just had a pitched battle against one of my enemies and won verses 2 to 1 odds, but took heavy casualties. At the end of that battle, that particular enemy sued for peace, which I took.

The battle AI is much improved as well. I can't really use Empire:TW as an example as the mechanics are different, so I'll use Med2. The battle AI attacks head on without delay when on the offensive, defends smartly when on the defensive, and knows when to pull back and regroup. The only small complaint I've found in the battle AI is from time to time the AI knows when I tell my cavalry to attack a bow unit and the bow unit starts running before my cavalry even gets there. It's like it detects the attack "click". When I tell my cavalry to move to behind the enemy bow units instead of clicking on them to attack I get the surprise attack I wanted to begin with.

I imagine under heavy scrutiny there might be a few other small quarks, but, over-all I'd have to say both the strategic and battle AI in Shogun 2 are Much Improved over the other games in the series. To call Shogun 2 anything other than a "Masterpiece of Strategy Gaming" would be a flat out lie. The full game is Way Improved over the demo. The demo was good and I'd say 85% accurate of the final product, but, there have been improvements since the demo to the full release. The graphics, simply put, are Amazing. They bring a feeling and atmosphere to the game that almost makes you feel like you're really in feudal Japan. The sound track for the game, with it's heavy use of Japanese drumming is killer as well. The battles feel truly Epic, they really do, and I haven't even gotten to the point where I fight with the maximum allowed number of units yet.

Other companies need to sit up and take notice. Shogun 2 is everything a grand strategic war-game needs to be, plain and simple. The campaign map is vibrant and feels alive. The strategic AI is a genuine challenge, and the battle AI, while of course not as good as a fellow human, is leaps and bounds ahead of the rest of the TW series at launch.

After I've spent some real time in the campaign I'll post a proper review or an A.A.R. or something for those wanting one. So far though, the game is as close to war-gaming perfection as I've ever seen at launch. If you liked any of the other TW games, Don't Miss Shogun 2, period.

124 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 15, 2011 8:45:36 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

There's a time limit isn't there, as in the other TW series?  You have until date X to achieve what ever you want?  Some thing like 20 years which is about what, 80 turns?

March 15, 2011 9:27:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

More like 75 years from 1485 to 1560.

March 15, 2011 9:35:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Might get this in a few months when on sale. Still feeling burnt from Empire.

March 15, 2011 10:31:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I didn't like Empire, at all.

I'm very much enjoying Shogun 2.

March 15, 2011 10:35:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ahh! This is good to hear, but I have to say that after Empire, I have very little trust that the published recommended system specs will yield halfway decent performance.

One to put on the list for about 2 years from now, at least.

March 15, 2011 10:47:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I made the plunge and ordered Shogun 2 after skipping Empire and Napoleon. As a tbs fan first and foremost I'm quite excited. If it's half as good as RavenX says, I'll be happy as a clam.

March 15, 2011 11:36:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I agree 100% with RavenX on this one, Only about 5hours into Shogun, but it by far the best one in the series so far, in my humble opinion anyhow. And I really love what they did with the agents and generals, I actually care about them now..

March 16, 2011 12:18:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

TW has always had that cavalry cheat where you have to charge in close before the actual charge.

March 16, 2011 12:21:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Just beat da2 and I will be playing this tomorrow. This is great to hear Shogun 2 is playing good. (and thanks for more tf2 gear lol).

March 16, 2011 12:22:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting CoBBQ,
More like 75 years from 1485 to 1560.

It's actually 55 years for a long or domination campaign, from 1545 to 1600. Not sure where you were getting your numbers.

March 16, 2011 12:56:31 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I am finding paradox's europa universalis 3 quite entertaining, it has a whole expansion pack dealing with japan and such... and covers a hella alot more than japan.

idk.

I liked total war... then steam and empire happened.  and now i am finding i like the cheap knockoff better.  :-/

March 16, 2011 12:59:04 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Napoleon was great, but this is even better. Shogun 2 looks beautiful and the campaign AI is consistent. I am in the middle of a Date campaign, I am at war with 2 smaller clans, they decided to become allies against me. It is extremely immersive, battle speeches are in Japanese with subtitles, the soundtrack is great. Sieges and naval battles have been reworked and are a lot of fun. Definitely worth buying. 

March 16, 2011 3:21:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I liked total war... then steam and empire happened. and now i am finding i like the cheap knockoff better. :-/

Agreed. TW is one of those series of games I was a rabid fan of until they went steamworks integrated, and had to look elsewhere for my strategy fix.  I was extremely excited about shogun 2 til i realized they would continue on the same path.

No worries i still have my disc copies of the original shogun, rome etc.

March 16, 2011 4:28:27 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Fistalis,

I liked total war... then steam and empire happened. and now i am finding i like the cheap knockoff better. :-/

Agreed. TW is one of those series of games I was a rabid fan of until they went steamworks integrated, and had to look elsewhere for my strategy fix.  I was extremely excited about shogun 2 til i realized they would continue on the same path.

I bought the disk version of Shogun 2. You only need Steam once to activate it. After that you don't need Steam anymore and can run the game just fine offline .

March 16, 2011 4:34:50 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting RavenX,

Quoting Fistalis, reply 13

I bought the disk version of Shogun 2. You only need Steam once to activate it. After that you don't need Steam anymore and can run the game just fine offline .

So you can uninstall steam? Me thinks not. Also.. you'll have to reconnect to steam after any major windows updates, PC changes etc. Offline mode is only pseudo offline, it still checks for steam updates.. and youll be forced to reconnect for those if your still maintain an internet connection while in "Offline Mode".

But more to my personal preferences.. is I don't want to agree to Steams Subscriber agreement

But ya.. i'm sure its a good game. No need to derail the thread on my account.

(we have plenty of steam related threads we can continue the conversation in if you really want, but personally I think its a debate that has been done to death, and we would all be better off just accepting that everyone has a different perspective when it comes to steam, or any other polarizing issue for that matter. We are not going to change each others personal opinions and preferences and it'll most likely just devolve into an argument when others start chiming in.See any steam related thread for the basis of my conclusion, and lots of arguing lol)

March 16, 2011 8:17:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting LightofAbraxas,
Ahh! This is good to hear, but I have to say that after Empire, I have very little trust that the published recommended system specs will yield halfway decent performance.

One to put on the list for about 2 years from now, at least.

There's a demo on Steam, you could try that to check the performance.

I tried the demo and found this one a lot more fun then Empire. Will probably pick it up when it goes on sale (already have a pile of games to play right now).

March 16, 2011 9:14:38 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm in the same boat, I have tons of games to play, will pick this one up when it goes on sale.

March 16, 2011 8:27:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I tried the demo and didn't really like it. Not surprising since I didn't like any of the other Total War games.

March 16, 2011 10:20:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

A lot of people have been saying that the AI is challenging and a great improvement over previous iterations of the series. For those who have the game, can you confirm whether this is because it is actually smarter or is it simply because the AI gets a lot of bonuses over the player?

March 16, 2011 11:04:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I bought the disk version of Shogun 2. You only need Steam once to activate it. After that you don't need Steam anymore and can run the game just fine offline

That's the most encouraging bit in the whole thread.  I don't even have a Stream account and don't really want one much. And Amazon has the disk pretty cheap.

My all time favorite system of copy-protection / updates is what original Shogun 1 did.  Buy the CD.  Download the patch files.  Keep both safe (and back up the patches).  When I buy a new machine, copy over the patches, pop in the CD, and install all.  The main benefit is that I can run it as long as I have compatible hardware, even if the company goes out of business and update servers go dark.  I'm still playing Shogun 1 & MOM and the outside world can't stop me.

FWIW, I got the 1st 4 Total-War games when they came out.  Loved Shogun 1, Medieval 1 & Rome.  Then M-2 bored me to death.  Passed on Empire & Napoleon, partly because of reviews, partly because the time periods didn't interest be, partly because of qualitycontrol issues (Rome has a memory leak that was never fixed, and M2 still had one when I dropped it), and mostly because I needed a lot of time to wash the taste of Medieval 2 out of my mouth. FWIW, Medieval 1 & 2 both fail to run on my current rig, and I don't care enough to trouble-shoot much.  Shogun 1 & Rome still run fine. Those are the 2 time periods I care about most.

March 17, 2011 1:23:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Just want to jump back in now that I've had some six hours to play in the last couple of days and say the hype, in this case, is deserved.  Even on my two-year-old laptop (trust me, we're struggling) with the graphics all low and crappy, this is easily the best Total War yet.  The AI is competent, the map is beautiful, the diplomacy is much improved, and the whole thing is just incredibly immersive.  This one gets the stamp of approval, despite Steam.

Quoting marlowwe,
A lot of people have been saying that the AI is challenging and a great improvement over previous iterations of the series. For those who have the game, can you confirm whether this is because it is actually smarter or is it simply because the AI gets a lot of bonuses over the player?

The AI is smarter.  I've been playing on Normal for my first playthrough - since it has been a while since I played a TW game - and the strategic AI has definitely slowed my progress (this may be due to bonus, as I still haven't played enough to know).  The battle AI has definitely been impressive, too.  It takes the high ground (and will even run its units to the top spot on the map to get it), it makes feints with its cavalry, it skirmishes with its archers, and it will even attack in defensive battles (instead of the classic TW "run to the edge of the map" strategy we all know and love) when it can benefit.  I recently fought it to a draw in an ambush (!) because it scrambled its forces so quickly that the element of surprise was barely an advantage for me.

By all means, if you're a strategy fan, you should get this game. 

March 17, 2011 2:56:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've never played a Total War game (MAN, I must be unique!) but since people praise this I'll give the demo a shot.

March 17, 2011 3:18:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting EmersonPF,
Just want to jump back in now that I've had some six hours to play in the last couple of days and say the hype, in this case, is deserved.  Even on my two-year-old laptop (trust me, we're struggling) with the graphics all low and crappy, this is easily the best Total War yet.  The AI is competent, the map is beautiful, the diplomacy is much improved, and the whole thing is just incredibly immersive.  This one gets the stamp of approval, despite Steam.

Quoting marlowwe, reply 19A lot of people have been saying that the AI is challenging and a great improvement over previous iterations of the series. For those who have the game, can you confirm whether this is because it is actually smarter or is it simply because the AI gets a lot of bonuses over the player?  
The AI is smarter.  I've been playing on Normal for my first playthrough - since it has been a while since I played a TW game - and the strategic AI has definitely slowed my progress (this may be due to bonus, as I still haven't played enough to know).  The battle AI has definitely been impressive, too.  It takes the high ground (and will even run its units to the top spot on the map to get it), it makes feints with its cavalry, it skirmishes with its archers, and it will even attack in defensive battles (instead of the classic TW "run to the edge of the map" strategy we all know and love) when it can benefit.  I recently fought it to a draw in an ambush (!) because it scrambled its forces so quickly that the element of surprise was barely an advantage for me.

By all means, if you're a strategy fan, you should get this game. 

I've read that the AI doesn't properly lay siege to settlements - they just charge blindly at the walls and die. True?

March 17, 2011 3:59:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

hmm, I haven't really been beseiged yet (except once very early on, and they did indeed pile over the walls, but they also outnumbered me significantly so I didn't think much of it), as I've mostly been meeting my foes in the field.  It's entirely possible that the siege AI is too gung-ho.

To back off from my gushiness above, the AI is far from spectacular, but it is competent.  That, to me, is "impressive" in an AI.  It executes the basics of tactics well, and that's more than can be said for most games (including previous TW titles or, you know, Elemental).  I'm not struggling (at normal, mind you) to beat it when our forces are fairly evenly matched. I'm not getting the 800 to 20 kill routes that were the norm from during my Rome days either.

March 17, 2011 5:59:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting TheProgress,

I've read that the AI doesn't properly lay siege to settlements - they just charge blindly at the walls and die. True?

Honestly, it depends. Allow me to explain. In Shogun 2 you have varying levels of castle design, some with multiple entrance points, but at a slower climb, the walls of most are slanted and climbable. If the enemy army is massive compared to yours, then yes, depending on the castle layout it can just swarm the walls. IF how-ever the enemy army has a smaller force, it will try to draw you out with bow units, shooting until they are out of ammo, or it will try to concentrate on where it thinks your defense is weakest. So, in reality, it does do a little swarming if it thinks it has a massive advantage, but, I've seen it attack intelligently as well.

To echo Emerson's statement above, it is far from spectacular, but, it isn't stupid either. It heavily varies on that particular battle situation. Overall though, it IS leaps and bounds over ALL the other games at launch and I'm willing to wager it will only get better down the road.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000938   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+