Stardock

Beta 1.2 vs The Sins Optimization Project: Results?

By on February 15, 2011 7:40:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums External Link

boshimi336

Join Date 03/2008
+66

For those that do not know what the Sins Optimization Project is, please click the link below and some descriptions from their original post.

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/378149

The project initially started out as an idea to reduce the texture sizes, and poly counts of some models. Not just arbitrary reductions. The goal was to maintain the quality of Sins in game. To look like nothing has been changed at all.

I studied the Particle files, and textures. Many of the particle textures IMO were also way to high resolution. A reduction by 1/2 showed no visible difference in game in most cases.  There were some exceptions where it did effect the appearence in game, and those textures were left alone. Remember the goal was not to reduce in game quality. Also all of the particle textures were changed from TGA format to DDS format, because DDS uses far less memory, and is much more efficient. The particles also utilize the mip mapping features of DDS.

The developers mentioned something about a Memory Leak. I heard that a leak can be caused by a file calling for something over, and over again if it is not there. Example a mesh file calling for a texture that does not exist. Vanilla Sins has MANY particle, and mesh files that do that. I removed all of the redundant entries that pointed to non existent textures in the mesh, and particle files. I also removed the entries that have lines like "C;\gs\main\datasource\textures\effects\aura4.dds", and just put "aura4.dds". This will default the search to the mods texture folder, and speed things up. Also various typo's were corrected in some mesh, and particle files. Some ships have mesh nulls that were miss-spelled. For example the Akkan had typos on its engine nulls, and flairs. The engine trail, and flair didnt show up in game. the Marza was missing its bomb nulls. All of this has been corrected as well. If there is a ship mesh file in the mod then it had something wrong that was fixed. Regardless if this caused a memory leak, or not these errors had to be fixed.

After the Meshes, Particles, Textures, and the User Interface were optimized, and some very obvious bugs were fixed there was a tremendous boost in game performance. Sins ram usage was greatly reduced. As of version 0.07 no game i ran ever went above 1.5 gigs on Diplomacy with maximum settings. Including Bloom enabled. Tested on Huge random multi star maps with 9 AI's. The 2 gig crash problem is solved. Our primary goal with this project is achieved!

What I would like to know is how much of this has been transferred over into the 1.2 Beta patch? The community has, from a Mod standpoint, done a lot of down in the dirt work to make larger games playable reliably online. I would like to hope that this effort has been rewarded by being included in some part in the official patch. Already I have noted the 1.5gig 'observed max usage' comments from the 1.2 Beta and between the TSOP Mod being comparable. Has anyone looked in detail at a comparison between these two excluding game balance changes? Thoughts?

81 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 15, 2011 2:24:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Does anyone know if the hotfix was the last official patch going to be released for Trinity? Or is there one more patch waiting in the wings, before official support ends and they can concentrate on creating/launching Rebellion?

March 15, 2011 3:03:05 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The hotfix is still only part of the Beta test.  There's still the 1.2 patch to come, plus no one has ever said they were going to stop supporting Sins even while they were working on Rebellion.

March 15, 2011 7:34:05 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
No official word has been given on when / if support for Sins, Entrenchment, Diplo/Trinity will end. It does seem however that they will be focusing more so on Diplo/Trinity if they focus on anything outside of the new stand alone expansion.
March 15, 2011 10:52:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It would be nice if they ported the important changes from Diplomacy/Trinity to vanilla and Entrenchment.

March 16, 2011 12:19:37 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Who knows. Depending on the changes that they are making it may require an update to Vanilla and Entrenchment as some of the files are universal throughout all three versions. Maybe they'll just stick with Trinity / Diplo. It all depends on what the stats on their side of the server walls of ICO and Impulse and the market are telling them will be a good investment of their time and money. As awesome as IC and SD are, they still need to make money.

March 16, 2011 12:41:36 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If it is spherically UV mapped send the mesh files my way. Ill see if i can get them into the next build of TSOP.

I sent you the mesh... Also I posted in the TSOP thread a result of baking one of the sins planet's textures to Thoumsin's model if you want to check it out.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000219   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+