Stardock

Elemental'ists that own GalCiv2

By on January 4, 2011 11:41:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Mayjori

Join Date 02/2008
+5

So after buying Elemental, and playing it a crapload the last few days, I'm getting more and more irritated with all the crashes and some small bugs (yes its updated), so am going to shelve it for a bit, but I do love the game, its just sorta love-hate at the moment . I am excited for the games future after doing alot of reading up on stardock and froggy poo and the recent hires.

Which brings me to my question (having read about it in froggy-poo's article with game-something or another, a game creator/dev oriented site), GalCiv2, i love space oriented games, prefer them to fantasy actually, and need something to pass the time, is it worth the 50 bucks to get it and the 2 expansion packs? Is it any good, potentially something that can tide me over till E is more stable?

Locked Post 47 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 4, 2011 11:49:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

No multiplayer, but you get a better AI, and a very good game.  I'd recommend it highly.

Most of the people who have been really patient with Stardock were GalCiv 2 owners, and there's a damn good reason for that.

Play a game of DL, then Twilight to see how much Stardock can improve.

January 4, 2011 11:51:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Heck no.  Do get Galciv2, but you can get it for far less than $50.  Even the price on Impulse right now is $29.95.   And I would hold out for $19.99.

January 4, 2011 11:51:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

GalCiv 2 is a love-hate game. If you don't mind being in a universe where everything is a percentage increase, you may like GalCiv2. If you like games that unlock new features and abilities as you play (MoO, MoO 2, MoM), you will not like GalCiv2.

January 4, 2011 11:51:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's not just good, it's the best 4x space game in the past 10 years. The AI is superb. It will require actual thinking by you each turn on higher difficulty levels. The different factions have different personalities, which is a plus. You get to design your own ships.

But... the "theme" is a little cartoony. The ambience is uninspired.

So, if you want to know that you're playing a game, albeit a good one, I'd say that it's 50 dollars well spent.

January 4, 2011 11:55:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's a great game, but 50 bucks is a lot and it is starting to show its age (in my opinion). I'd wait for a better price, unless 50 bucks is nothing to you.

January 5, 2011 12:04:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

When in doubt, try the demo...

Demo Link

January 5, 2011 12:06:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

50 bucks is definitely something to me (money is tighter than a constipated midget..... it was funnier in my head), and correct me if im wrong but on impulse its 30 bucks for dread lords and then 30 for the bundle of both expansions? so are you saying to wait till i can find the entire set for 20 dolla's?

edit:

Im not a huge fan of demo's.... in my experience they rarely give a proper, realistic,  taste of the game

January 5, 2011 12:15:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The demo should give you enough of a taste to see what I'm talking about in regards to percentages.

January 5, 2011 1:09:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting nrich61,
Im not a huge fan of demo's.... in my experience they rarely give a proper, realistic,  taste of the game
Stardock demos tend to be pretty good, or so I'm told. Some people like to pirate a game instead of playing a demo, and then buy it if they like it.

January 5, 2011 1:33:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If you like turn-based, 4X strategy games, and you like a sci-fi setting...then hell yes, get it.  But not for $50.  Get it cheaper.

January 5, 2011 1:58:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting charon2112,
If you like turn-based, 4X strategy games, and you like a sci-fi setting...then hell yes, get it.  But not for $50.  Get it cheaper.
I'm pretty sure that's how much it costs, for the game and both expansions. You can't get things for cheaper than they're sold for.

January 5, 2011 2:06:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's 40 bucks. Not 50. Are we on same page?

http://impulsedriven.com/galciv2ul

P.S : and also the game worth 50$ if you love 4x.... there aren't any better 4x other than Civ4 with expansions.

January 5, 2011 2:16:50 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I liked Twilight a lot so I'd recommend it.

More importantly, I think we should all start calling him froggy poo.

January 5, 2011 2:23:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting wnmnkh,
It's 40 bucks. Not 50. Are we on same page?

http://impulsedriven.com/galciv2ul

P.S : and also the game worth 50$ if you love 4x.... there aren't any better 4x other than Civ4 with expansions.

Ah, I see the problem. Searching "Galactic Civlizations" doesn't bring that bundle up, because it is labeled as "GalCiv". Buying the main game separately from its expansions comes up to a total of $49.80.

January 5, 2011 5:00:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

GalCiv 2 is a great game and I enjoyed playing it alot with the Twilight of the Arnor expansion. However, I did find I eventually got bored with it. The space 4X I'm playing now is called Distant Worlds and it's great and a lot of fun - very deep. It's put out through Matrix. The small developer (CodeForce) is a lot like Stardock in that their responsiveness and fan support is excellent.

Another fantastic game set in space is Space Rangers 2, available through Impulse. A great rollicking adventure with crazy quests, ship upgrades, tons of minigames (planet conquest RTS, text quests, old arcade style shooter). Single handedly the most fun I've ever made with a game. And the crazy translations along are worth the cheap price.

January 5, 2011 5:07:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

thanks for all the feedback guys, its on my to buy list, but ill prob wait till its on sale

January 5, 2011 5:08:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I quite enjoyed playing GalCiv II with all its expansions. 

I've also heard good things about Distant Worlds. May have to check that out sometime.

January 5, 2011 5:24:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

i bought distant worlds a while back and was gifted the expansion, its good and its bad...... very hard to explain properly why, i read someone in an other thread say that galciv2 is like playing a spreadsheet, I highly doubt its as much like one as DW though, but DW has the largest playing field ever (up to 1400-2000 star systems i think), with 1998 graphics, decent AI, and some of the best automation ever, you can run the empire barely touching a thing and just getting asked a couple questions, or you can control every tiny little thing, and anywhere in between.

January 5, 2011 5:26:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd say get GC2 UE. I've been watching it for a while now, and it never seems to go on sale (beyond the $40 for the ultimate edition). $40 is DEFINITELY worth it!

January 5, 2011 5:29:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

GalCiv2 with the expansions is so great, I love that game. 

January 5, 2011 5:57:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

GalCiv2 with expansions can lick balls of golden icecream and still not be any richer or sweeter to play than it already is. Cheap at twice the price i'maho.

January 5, 2011 8:22:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

See there.   "Galciv2 licks balls of golden icecream".   You're not going to get a more glowing endorsement than that.   There's 5 stars, 10/10...and then there's Galciv2.  It licks balls of golden icecream.  

January 5, 2011 10:22:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

GalCiv2 rules. That is all.

January 5, 2011 10:35:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well worth 40 bucks for the ultimate edition!

January 6, 2011 4:18:27 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

SO im borrowing the game from a friend who has the ultimate disc to decide if i want to buy, but of course cant update and register since its already registered to his account, its version 1.93, is there much difference between that version and the most recent (2.03)?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001360   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+