Stardock

New PC, expired OD sub, can I transfer Deskscapes

By on December 8, 2010 2:45:19 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

TeamTJ

Join Date 05/2005

My wife loves me a lot and bought me a new PC for my birthday/anniversary/Christmas.

My OD subscription has long since expired, but I had Deskscapes running on my old PC.

Is it possible to get it on my new PC without a new OD subscription?

Thanks!

8 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 21, 2010 1:10:14 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Judging by the crickets in here...I take it the answer is no.

December 21, 2010 1:35:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I would say that you need to email support@stardock.com and ask that question. 

Happy Holidays. 

December 21, 2010 2:06:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I would sumise yes you can transfer the Build of Deskscapes you own to your new PC, as you paid for it. Updates for it would require a new sub to either the app independently, or Objectdesktop.

How to go about transferring your current Build,  would be getter answered by Support using the Link Philly posted.

December 21, 2010 2:14:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Easy peasy. Install Impulse on the new rig, sign in with your normal Impulse info. Install all your stuff. No problem.

There should be no need to bother support. You can install software you bought on multiple PCs. I think it uses IP addresses. As long as they are your PCs.

December 21, 2010 2:17:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

There is a lengthy thread addressing this, I just can't find it at the moment.

December 21, 2010 3:16:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I thought that you were supposed to back up your stuff before your subscription ran out so you could restore it if you needed to. At one time we were told that Stardock was not going to be giving out older versions.

You can always use Impulse to back up or archive your software, install Impulse on your new PC and copy the backups to it and restore. You can also backup and restore the dreams you've downloaded, just in case your access to WinCustomize has expired also.

One thing to note, what version of DeskScapes do you have and what version of Windows are you wanting to install it on?

If you are wanting to install a version on Windows 7, it must be DeskScapes 3 or above for it to work. If you have a prior version, you will have to upgrade to DeskScapes 3 to use it on Windows 7.

December 21, 2010 3:48:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I thought that you were supposed to back up your stuff before your subscription ran out so you could restore it if you needed to. At one time we were told that Stardock was not going to be giving out older versions.

Oops, I forgot about that.  I guess I was addressing that you can install on several PCs. My bad.  You're right, CG! 

September 13, 2011 11:44:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Ok, that answers my question as well. Now, maybe after reading a few more posts, I may be able to ascertain why the new trial version on my new '7' machine doesn't work. I get a blank screen and my icons disappear after hitting the 'apply changes' button. [Sigh]
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000359   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+