Stardock

I miss Thursday patches...

By on October 29, 2010 10:56:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Trojasmic

Join Date 04/2006
+40

Can't wait to start getting more updates again soon...

37 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 29, 2010 11:31:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yea me too.  Once the v1.1 series gets rolling, we hope to return to that.

The main thing is that v1.1 is such a major overhaul of the game mechanics that there's no "baby steps" possible between v1.09 and v1.1.

October 29, 2010 11:33:27 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm happy the game has stabilized to the point it no longer needs critical patches every week, and they can instead focus their attention on more meaningful updates and expansions like the one going into beta next week, rather than an incremental trickle.

October 29, 2010 11:36:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yep, totally agree with it. I can't wait to see the "new tech and magic" with the new patch without being told of .

October 29, 2010 1:09:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hey Frogboy, is there an ETA on 1.1?

October 29, 2010 1:38:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The first public beta is scheduled for this next Thursday.

Right now, the team is split fairly evenly between v1.1 and the first expansion pack (free for those of you who have the game already).  There are, ironically, more people on Elemental now than there were during development (part of this is the elimination of the second games team).

It's going to be an awesome upcoming year.  We, and by we I mean us all - the community and Stardock - are going to do something that I'm not sure has been done in modern times in PC gaming, we're going to transform an already existing shipping game.

October 29, 2010 1:45:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If you ever go into the MMO business, I think you will inadvertedly break the laws of physics. (mmo devs usually cut their staff to ribbons after release, unbeknownst to the subscribers)

October 29, 2010 1:59:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

By the way, just for curiosity, how many people work on elemental?

October 29, 2010 2:00:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
The first public beta is scheduled for this next Thursday.

It's going to be an awesome upcoming year.  We, and by we I mean us all - the community and Stardock - are going to do something that I'm not sure has been done in modern times in PC gaming, we're going to transform an already existing shipping game.

You better pray that it works. If not, a lot of gamers that bought this game are going to want your head on a plate. 

October 29, 2010 2:25:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting cpl_rk,

Quoting Frogboy, reply 5The first public beta is scheduled for this next Thursday.

You better pray that it works. If not, a lot of gamers that bought this game are going to want your head on a plate. 

I 2nd that...

October 29, 2010 2:55:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This is going to be a most interesting year- I just hope I end up with a game I like out of it.

If I don't, I'll troll you guys so hard you'll think I stayed in costume for months.    Really, I know you guys can do it, though it will take time.  I can be patient.

October 29, 2010 3:34:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, if they commit to the community like they did until now, it's sure will be an awesome game!

October 29, 2010 3:41:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I disagree with the op.  The constant stream of patches is what has prevented me from completing more than 4 or 5 matches in the game. Don't misunderstand, I appreciate bug fixes and patches like everyone else, but this isn't a shooter or a quick 10 minute game, these are matches that take many hours to finish. Every patch pretty much forces you to start a new game, create a new sovereign, etc. And then you run into bugs and problems that prevent you from enjoying or completing your game, so you're left waiting for another patch ... Hopefully soon, the game will be in a fun, stable state and will not require constant patches to keep it there.

Here's hoping that 1.1 will improve on the "fun" part, not to mention be "stable." I've been away from elemental for a while now, and hopefully this is what can bring me back. I'll be checking back during the beta to see where public opinion is at.

October 29, 2010 7:31:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting cpl_rk,

No offense, but I think that statement is quite baseless and does not necessitate from the premises. For example, on what grounds can you confirm that said gamers won't want his head in a bowl? Or perhaps served in a tall glass in smoothie form?

Seriously though, while I can understand the arguments pertaining to rights and fairness with regard to the release state of this game, I can't comprehend the level of anger displayed by some people over what is ultimately a fairly inexpensive and non-essential recreational item.

When you factor in the way this was, and is being handled by the developers, it makes it all the more difficult to identify with the perspective behind these types of reactions.

October 29, 2010 9:09:18 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Istari,

Seriously though, while I can understand the arguments pertaining to rights and fairness with regard to the release state of this game, I can't comprehend the level of anger displayed by some people over what is ultimately a fairly inexpensive and non-essential recreational item.

When you factor in the way this was, and is being handled by the developers, it makes it all the more difficult to identify with the perspective behind these types of reactions.

What he said.

October 29, 2010 11:05:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting tanafres,

Quoting Istari,
reply 13

What he said.

What I said

October 29, 2010 11:15:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Istari,

Quoting cpl_rk,
reply 8

Anger?

I don't understand your reaction to my reaction? I certainly can't identify with your perspective as it pertains to my reaction, that's for sure. Are you a fanboy? I'm just a strategy game player, that's all. Why on earth should you be upset over my opinion on the matter anyway? or even want to comment on it?

October 30, 2010 5:23:45 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't understand your reaction to my reaction? I certainly can't identify with your perspective as it pertains to my reaction, that's for sure. Are you a fanboy? I'm just a strategy game player, that's all. Why on earth should you be upset over my opinion on the matter anyway? or even want to comment on it?

No he is not a fanboy, he speaks the truth. Your reaction is pretty much idiotic. It is a fricken game, if you don't like it, return it and move on.

I can never understand why people get so upset over some software.

October 30, 2010 5:56:12 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting cpl_rk,

Quoting Frogboy, reply 5The first public beta is scheduled for this next Thursday.

That is so completely unnecessary that I can't imagine why you would say it but to be hurtful.

October 30, 2010 7:34:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
Yea me too.  Once the v1.1 series gets rolling, we hope to return to that.

The main thing is that v1.1 is such a major overhaul of the game mechanics that there's no "baby steps" possible between v1.09 and v1.1.

Nice!  [PS. I can't wait for v1.1 ]

November 1, 2010 7:34:14 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting cpl_rk,

Quoting tanafres, reply 14

Quoting Istari,
reply 13

What he said.

What I said

What you said!

November 1, 2010 7:42:55 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting cpl_rk,

Quoting Istari, reply 13

Quoting cpl_rk,
reply 8

Anger?

I was actually referring to those people whom you were referring to, i.e. those that would want Brad's head on a plate. I don't actually know if you would be counted among them.

Also, I'm not in anyway upset over your opinion. I'm just voicing my disagreement with those people you referred to, along with stating my difficulty in comprehending their viewpoints. Besides, you only said what is most probably true, though hopefully only figuratively speaking.

Lastly, I'm clearly a fan of Stardock and their games, but I don't think I'm what most people would classify as a fanboy, in that I'm not against criticizing (constructively and politely), and I'm not against voicing what I don't like about the state of affairs, when I think it can help matters.

November 1, 2010 7:47:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I miss meatloaf mondays. patches are nice too. I like the presents patches bring - new spells, new monsters, new quests, new equipment, new reasons for trolling teh forums...

November 1, 2010 8:23:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I miss Friday Faggots. The way they would get the room all worked up and hot. Ahh, nothing like a flaming bunch of hard wood.

November 1, 2010 2:43:00 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

After Wiki-ing the word "patch", wonder what kind of patch would V 1.1 be..

1) Nicotine patch - getcha gaming fix

2) Eye patch - arrrr, shiver me computers

3) Briar patch - dont dare touch it, let alone install..

November 1, 2010 3:25:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting CHiZZoPs,

Quoting cpl_rk,
reply 8

That is so completely unnecessary that I can't imagine why you would say it but to be hurtful.

Quoting Istari,

I was actually referring to those people whom you were referring to, i.e. those that would want Brad's head on a plate. I don't actually know if you would be counted among them.

Also, I'm not in anyway upset over your opinion. I'm just voicing my disagreement with those people you referred to, along with stating my difficulty in comprehending their viewpoints. Besides, you only said what is most probably true, though hopefully only figuratively speaking.

It seems very strange to me that anyone would take my statement literally, perhaps it's just the "liberal" element of which I'm gladly not one. Maybe I should translate my original post for their benefit: "You better pray that it works. If not, a lot of gamers that bought this game are going to be extremely angry." And, this is factually correct. A lot of people *will* be upset if the 1.1 patch doesn't work like it's hyped up to be. I see nothing wrong with the way I wrote my original statement, other than some "liberal," hand-holding, we-are-the world misinterpretation ... or political/media slant? ... all the same when it comes to liberals & liberalism.

I was in the military. I can remember this picture on the wall drawn by one of the guys in our avionics shop way back of a B1 bomber just after having nuked some huge city. There was this huge yellow-red mushroom cloud in the background, and there was a quote from the pilot in the foreground: "Now comes Miller Time!" I find this extremely funny, any of you liberal types that don't ... I don't care!

Some people need to look for something. Maybe you can find it in a level-4 goodie hut. It's called ... a sense of humor ... If you're lucky, you might find a "funny bone" on a level 5 quest. But, you'll need to research Tech knowledge Level 1 "analogies," level 2 "similies," and level 3 "metaphors" before you can get that far.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001204   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+